You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "alabama" started this thread

Reg: Jul 11th 2008

Children: 21 but none mine

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 7:19pm

hormone results help please!!

Hi folks I haven't been on here since our initial SA revealed azoospermia in July. I have since been prodded and poked in every conceivable place and my plumbing is all good to go. We have been on the list for donor sperm since July but my DH's hormone results showed that he may have a chromosome issue. his FSH was 16.1, testosterone 19.9 and prolactin 141 - i don't know what any of this means!!!!! We were told that his hormone level was high which indicated this chromosome defect but that has come back as 46 xy normal. We have an appointment with a urologist in feb to see if retrieval is possible but I just wondered if anyone could translate his results for me. I feel like we've had a lot of appointments but don't seem to get any further forward. Why can't they test for all these things at the beginning???? Starting to get frustrated. What if we get to the top of the donor list before all of this gets sorted out??? everything takes so long :(

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 7:38pm

RE: hormone results help please!!

Hi Alabama

I don't think we've met before so I'm sorry to hear of your DH's azoospermia diagnosis in the summer. My DH too is the same and we too had many months of tests, tests and more tests! It can be hugely frustrating so big :hugs:

I can only interpret your results based on what knowledge I've gained over the last couple of years but hope it helps.

My DH's hormone results came with a * range * of what would be expected in men.

FSH on this table is measured in IU/L and the range is 1-9 so 16.1 for your DH would be high

Testosterone is measured in nmol/L and the range is 8-27 so 19.9 is fine.

My DH didn't have prolactin so can't help you on that one.

The karyotype of 46 X, Y is absolutely normal.

I don't know enough about how a high FSH would indicate a chromosome abnormality I'm afraid but obviously your Urologist will be able to advise you.

I know how the process can seem so frustrating but there are a number of reasons that can account for men having azoospermia and those reasons need to be eliminated one by one rather than testing for everything in one go.

As far as being on the waiting list for donor sperm, I'd try and wait until you've seen your Urologist just in case your DH can have his sperm retrieved surgically. My DH's hormone results were within normal range so they were hopeful of getting sperm which they did, however, as I said above, i don't know enough about what implications a high FSH has - I'm afraid only your Urologist will be able to answer that. February isn't that long away so hopefully you'll find out what this all means and can make a decision on teh best way forward then.

Hope this helps.

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Sun Flower

Superstar

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 7:39pm

Hi Alabama
Im sorry you are having this worry, it is so hard trying to put it all straight in your mind sometimes. I dont know if the sperm retrieval will be possible for your DH, but at our clinic my DH has FSh which was 9.3 - I think? will have to check back on my diary to get the exact figure, but it was 9 something, with this number they said there was a 65% chance of finding sperm which they would then freeze and use for ICSI treatment. Sadly no sperm was found during the retireval and we are now going down the donor sperm route, we are having IVF in January.

I am sorry I dont have more info about your DH results but please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or you need to chat - I also have a diary in the donor section, so pop in anytime :smile:

I wish you all the very best of luck with your ttc journey

Love SF xx

• "alabama" started this thread

Reg: Jul 11th 2008

Children: 21 but none mine

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 8:49pm

Thankyou Duffy and Sunflower I know I'm being impatient and the urologist will no doubt explain everything. We were told in July donor sperm would take up to 8 months and now we've been told could be a year so we've got time to explore other avenues. i got a bit excited today when the letter said they were reassured by the 46 XY male karyotype but i think this just rules out the chromosome issue and not sperm production which looks unlikely with his high FSH level. DH is reluctant to investigate the reasons why he just wants to know if they can retrieve any. I don't understand this. I'd need to know. Anyway he's willing to go for scans and biopsy so i shouldn't complain. Thanks again for the advice/info.
xx

Sun Flower

Superstar

Thursday, December 18th 2008, 6:47pm

Hi Alabama
My Dh was excalty the same, when they found no sperm via the SSR Biopsy he just said OK we need to use donor sperm lets do it! which is great that he has a healthy positive attitude about it but bad because I am the kind of peron that needs to know the in's and outs of everything! and I wanted to know why? but he refused to take it further, so i didnt push him

Im happy we are now going down the donor route, we both feel it is our only chance of having a family, so we are taking the path and hoping for the best....

good luck with your urologist appt

xx

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE