You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 12 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

meisha

• "meisha" started this thread

Reg: Nov 7th 2008

Children: none

Saturday, November 8th 2008, 9:15am

vasectomy failed after I got pg/mc

well my partner are in shock because just over two years of having his successful VR a SA confirmed ZERO SPERM. We were told IVF was our only option but surely there are more options????

Its obvius his tubes have blocked and the sperm are present (well I am bloody hoping so anyhow) so why does it have to be only IVF

I was wondering if anyone knew what other options are available to us.

THeres obviously sperm recovery and IVF/ICSI (which is 5k a pop and we dont have 5k!)

Another try at reversing the blockage/vasectomy and trying naturally

OR I'm wondering if they could do sperm recovery and IUI with medical assisted cycle??

I know IUI isnt that successful especially with a natural cycle BUT IVF only has about a 25/35% chance of success per cycle doesn it?

I have the referal ready to send to the private clinic but am in two minds about sending it. Despite my strong urge to mother I mentally and physically cannot take another disappointment. We have hit brick wall after brick wall and for the last two years all our lives have revolved around is babies and building a family.

We are at a cross roads where we need to decide whether we go down the treatment ruote, potentially suffer more heartbreak and create a large amount debt or decide to move on from this and not have children.

I am scared about making the decision of not proceeding with treatment because I know I'll be bitter for the rest of my life and avoid all situations with babies and pg as much as I can.

So either way its going to be painful.

Any suggestions on the above?

xx
:-( :bawl:
Me - 31
DP - 41
Successful vasectomy reversal June 06
Complete molar / gestational trophoblastic disease - Sept 06
Chemo Jan-May 07
All clear TC Nov 07 TTC since
SA revealed vasectomy reversal delayed failure Oct 08
Summary = Severe Male Factor/Azoospermia

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Saturday, November 8th 2008, 5:53pm

If you have SSR ICSI is the only option due to whats involved. They are not able to do IUI.

You could try another vasectomy reversal but I am not sure what the success rates for a second one would be.

Good luck

babydust

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

meisha

• "meisha" started this thread

Reg: Nov 7th 2008

Children: none

Saturday, November 8th 2008, 6:28pm

hi there, why are they not allowed to do iui with ssr? i have read about it online but think it was a usa site.

xx
Me - 31
DP - 41
Successful vasectomy reversal June 06
Complete molar / gestational trophoblastic disease - Sept 06
Chemo Jan-May 07
All clear TC Nov 07 TTC since
SA revealed vasectomy reversal delayed failure Oct 08
Summary = Severe Male Factor/Azoospermia

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Saturday, November 8th 2008, 9:04pm

I know my clinic don't do it cause the quality of the sperm is not good enough.

I am not sure if any other clinics do and thats something you would need to ask your own.

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Saturday, November 8th 2008, 9:16pm

Percutaneous Sperm Aspiration
Percutaneous sperm aspiration (PESA) is often the first course of treatment when no sperm is found in a man’s semen, as it does not require any surgical cuts. It is a fairly short procedure, taking no more than 20 minutes to complete and requires only local anesthetic. During PESA, a needle is inserted through the scrotum into the epididymis and is used to remove the liquid inside. Because doctors are looking to collect between 10 and 20 million sperm, in some cases, multiple aspirations in one or both of the testicles are necessary. Since sperm removed from the epididymis are not fully matured yet, it is necessary to use ICSI to fertilize an egg. Men with CAVD or who have scar tissue in their vas deferens are the most suited to this procedure.

Testicular Sperm Extraction
This type of SSR is reserved for men who have a blockage in their epididymis, close to the testicles, thereby preventing sperm from entering into the epididymis. It can also be used in men who have a blockage in the testicles or produce so little sperm that none of it reaches the ejaculate. In testicular sperm extraction (TESE), immature sperm is collected through a testicular biopsy, a process that requires the removal of a small amount of testicular tissue. Local anesthetic is usually given before the surgeon makes a small incision in the testicles to remove the tissue. A similar procedure, known as testicular sperm aspiration (TESA), also removes sperm directly from the testicles. However, in this procedure, no incision is made and instead a needle is inserted directly into the testicles in order to collect the sperm. Because sperm collected from the testicles are immature, it is necessary to use ICSI in order to fertilize an egg.

Concerns with SSR
Finding success with surgical sperm retrieval depends heavily upon the SSR method you undergo. PESA has the highest rate of retrieval associated with it, at 80% to 90%, while TESE tends to be much lower, with only 60% of patients having sperm retrieved. As all of these methods require the use of IVF, and often ICSI as well, the chances of pregnancy tend to hover between 20% and 30%, again dependant upon the method of SSR used.

Another concern for many with SSR is the fact that, often, immature sperm are retrieved. Because TESE removes sperm that have never passed through the epididymis, some experts are concerned about using cells that are still evolving to achieve pregnancy. In some instances, spermatids (round cells that have yet to develop into sperm with tails) may be removed through TESE. Although spermatids can be used with ICSI to cause pregnancy, it is still thought of as an experimental treatment.

Before deciding on SSR, discuss all the pros and cons of these procedure with your fertility doctor. It is also a good idea to come up with a back-up plan in case it is not possible to remove enough sperm through SSR.

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 12 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE