You are not logged in.

Unread posts

*Steph*

• "*Steph*" started this thread

Reg: Aug 6th 2008

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 3:47pm

Urologist

Not sure, if I'm posting in the correct section, but can someone tell me what a Urologist will do during an appointment?

My DP has an appointment on 21st after we went to the GP regarding his zero SC some 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, I can't get the time off to go with him and I think he's a bit nervous so I just wondered what sort of questions he'll be asked and what tests they might do just so I can reassure him a bit?

He hates hopsitals and needles as it is so I'm suprised he's still going without me, bless him.
*Steph*

Me: 29 - OK as far as I know
DP: 41 - azoospermia
Still thinking about it!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 3:55pm

Hiya Steph

I've moved this into the male factor area for you where I think you'll get more replies.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 4:49pm

RE: Urologist

Hi Steph

I hope I can answer your question though I'm a little surprised that your DP hasn't been asked to do another SA ?(

He may well be asked to do a sample before the appt but you'll normally be told if this is the case as it's best to abstain for 3 days prior.

Every appointment isn't the same but undoubtedly he'll run through your DP's medical history, in particular asking him questions which may have a bearing on this zero count. for instance if he had undescended testes; any operations or any injuries in the past.

I'm sure that he will have blood tests arranged too. Basically if his hormones are within *normal* ranges, then it's a good indicator that sperm is being produced and could be successfully retrieved via a surgical retrieval process.

They may test him for cystic fibrosis mutations too. this was one thing that my DH was found to be a carrier of, and in particular the Delta F508 gene which is shown to be common among men with congenital absence of the vas deferens. This particular condition was confirmed at my DH's appt with a urologist who examined him.

It's a shame you can't be with him but these types of consultations are always followed up in writing; it may be handy for your DP to make a few notes so he can chat it over with you after.

There isn't one cause of azoospermia so I can't really be too specific about how the appointment will go but I hope you'll find the above info some use.

Best of luck Steph and do let us know how he gets on.

We have a chatter thread here MALE FACTOR CHATTER if you want to pop in and say hello.

Best of luck [zx189]

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

*Steph*

• "*Steph*" started this thread

Reg: Aug 6th 2008

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 4:57pm

Thanks for moving to correct place bubble.

Thank you Duffy Moon for your reply. I must admit I was suprised they didn't ask for another sperm sample, especially since it was so long ago??? He's been asked to take a urine sample, but that's it. I think I'l ring them tomorrow and ask.
*Steph*

Me: 29 - OK as far as I know
DP: 41 - azoospermia
Still thinking about it!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "*Steph*" (Nov 12th 2008, 5:00pm)

hollybolly

Superstar

Reg: Jan 30th 2008

Children: Soon !!

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:15am

Hi Steph,

The girls have kinda covered all your questions but just wanted to say hi really x
As Duffy said please feel free to pop in to the male factor chatter with us :smile:

AZOOSPERMIA confirmed 01/2008
TESE sucessfull 08/09
Reconstruction failed 11/09 .
Icsi June 13 - Bfn
Feb2014 = Natural cycle icsi bfn

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE