Unread posts

Rose

Star

• "Rose" started this thread

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 5:42pm

Child development

Hi, not sure if this is the best place for this, but here goes.

I'm after a bit of advice please. Ds was 3 in august, and seems to have a real aptitude for numbers, counting, and the alphbet. He has been able to read and recognise all letters in the alphabet for about 6 months, he can recite numbers in sequence up to about 80, can recogninse the numbers when written down, can look at the digital clock and say what the time is and what number is coming up next. He really is obssessesed.
Now please don;t think I'm bragging, or being bigheaded. I'm truly not. I'm concernd that 1) I'm not sure his behaivoiur is normal, 2) whether or not to encourage him more or just let him do his own thing, and 3) How do i cope with it as it's exhauting keeping up with him, as he constantly goes on and on about numbers everywhere we go.

any ideas?

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 6:04pm

Wow, honestly? Upto 80 is a fantastic ability for such a wee man!! My nephew is 5 in may and he counts to 100, so there is 2 years difference there. Lolly goes upto 20 and has just started the alphabet. Can he recognise a number if you show it to him? I wouldn't discourage him from learning because its abnormal - if he is showing an interest then let him get on with it in his own way and time alongside encouraging other things like learning shapes, colours and the alphabet :happy:

When you say he is on about numbers all the time what do you mean? Is he asking you what numbers are etc? I chat to Lolly while we are out and about, saying things like 'can you show me the red bus' 'how many ducks are there' etc :happy:

Go little T!! happydance

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rose

Star

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 6:10pm

Thanks Missy. Yes he can recognise numbers written down. If we are walking past a shop and there is a number in the window he will shout it out. The other day we were in clarks getting his feet measured, and they;ve git one of those ticket machines that calls the next number out (IKYWIM?) and he was transfixed- the number was on 66, and he kept calling out what was coming next, we got some very odd looks, as if i'd been coaching him.
He can also count backwards from 10 too.
He knows his colours too, and most shapes. I get embarrsed because people think i've been "Hot-housing "him, which i haven't he's just taught himself really.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 7:12pm

Clever little thing!!!

Just a note about learning the alphabet. Many schools teach the alphabet as part of phonics programmes such as Jolly Phonics. They teach a letter/blend a day and concentrate on the sound of the letter rather than its actual name. So instead of 'Ayy Bee Cee Dee Eee eFF Gee' ...... they learn sounds, some are voiceless. They learn 'ah buh (silent cuh duh) eh fffff g huh i' etc. Alonside this they often learn actions to accompany which help the child with cognitive retention. Reception children often start with single letters then add some whole word recognition and then phonic blends. The process helps them to learn to work out words and read fluently.

Most of us teach the normal alphabet song to pre-schoolers but it's important to consider that some children will then have to 'unlearn' the letters to re-learn them in the way the school teach them to read, potentially causing confusion. If you 'do' teach them the same way as the school will then you also run the risk of them sitting for an entire term of phonics lessons bored. Some schools really discourage this as they want learning to be a new and exciting adventure in class.

An excellent way of encouraging good reading without touching on the curriculum learning process is to explore a plethora of books together, helping whole word recognition (pointing to words in a book that the child already knows and letting him say it) and discussing each book before you read (what's the title, what's the picture of, what he thinks it's about, reading the 'blurb' on the back) and then after reading, discuss the story. That sets a child up for excellent reading skills before the classroom and allows you to 'do' something to encourage his love of learning.

(Long winded.... but from the perspective of someone who did a two year course on primary learning and has two children, one currently in reception and going through learning phonics and one who has already been through the teaching process and always has been an avid and fluent reader. .... that's me btw :D )

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 7:22pm

I'm glad you pointed that out Bells, like Rose I'm unsure where Laurens actually learned the alphabet, she can recite upto l/m, I thought she must have done it at nursery but when I asked they said they haven't been doing it. I'm assuming she has picked it up off Cbeebies as she does do it in that sing song way. If we are painting or something and I write her name I do it phonetically but I was worrying that I was confusing her. :happy:

Rose, I can completely see where you are coming from regarding other people, but you know what? Sod them, you can't hold T's natural abilities back because of their envy blowkiss What do T's nursery say about his development? :D

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 8:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Missy

she can recite upto l/m,

You mean up to 'Lemonemopee'? :D

Yeah, most children pick up the song and it's cute but it's just a song to them with funny words in it so that's ok. If you're going to sit down and 'learn' letters then concentrate on the sound and shape of them by saying the correct phonetic 'sound' and tracing over them with fingers. Practicing holding a pencil in the 'tripod grip' and writing numbers and letters is really helpful preparation for school.

An example of the sounds to use is 'c'. This is accompanied by the action of playing the castanets (hands above your head) as you make a completely voiceless 'c c c c ' sound. This is the same for k and ck. This is what they will be taught at school so you can see how them hearing 'cee' or 'cuh' can be confusing.

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 8:19pm

HIya Rose, sometimes children just do that with certain things. When ds was 2 he used to say 'are these pants from Marks adn Spencers today?' by the time he started school he could read things on vans that were familiar and now that he is 7 he could read Lord of the Rings or even The Bible, however he can't put on his socks or use cutlery or do buttons as he is over developed in one way, and under in another. You may find this is the case with your wee son, or not. It is great he can do that and he could just be a gifted child. I would be delighted to have some children like that in my class!!!
If he even counts the peas on his plate etc, I would be very slightly concerned, but otherwise he is just a bright intelligent little boy! Love Lesa xxx
Keep smiling :happy:

Rose

Star

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 8:42pm

nah, he doesn't go that far LOL!

Bells, thats really useful thanks. he does know the letters as they sound in the song, but also has a book with buttons that play the phonetic sounds, so is jsut starting to grasp those. He also watches the polyphonics programme on cbeebies which he loves. (numberjacks is another fave :D)

Also just the other day we walked past the travel agents Thomas Cook, and he said " thats my name mummy!!" (our surname isn't cook though!)

Rufus your right though, although he seems "ahead" on cognitive stuff, physically he's not that advanced. He can't pedal a bike/very well, his jumping is still quite limited, and he can't hop so I guess it's swings and roundabouts eh?

Missy- Nursery are really impressed, they've made several comments about number skills, which is what has got me thinking i suppose.

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 10:58pm

Hi Rose,

DD1 is 3 1/2 and can't count to 80! Gets stuck at 29! But she does love numbers and points them out on houses, buses etc. I blame the numberjacks too!

She's started getting interested in the alphabet recently and now likes to talk about what letter words start with during all conversations. E.g. do you want to go to the park today? Park starts with P (said puh, not pee!) doesn't it Mummy! Yes, but do you want to go there!? :rolleyes:

She LOVES books and I think is frustrated because she wants to read them but we were told by her nursery that she will start on the Jolly Phonics stuff after Christmas and I've been a bit reluctant to teach her stuff at home incase I do it differently to them.

She is also desperate to write and insists on 'writing' whenever she sees me writing. For example, I write a shopping list and so does she. I then have to take her list and have sneaky peeks at mine in my handbag when round Sainsburys so I can remember what we actually need!

Also, at nursery she's just started Spanish. This week we had spanish words for fruit. I'm not sure what I think really - in one way great - expand their minds etc but she can't read/write english yet so maybe should concentrate on that?!

I reckon they all even out eventually anyway so I'd ignore anyone else and just let your DS go at his own pace!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 4:48am

Can he 'bring you' the numbers from 1-10?
Eg - Go and get mummy 7 toy cars, 5 bananas, 9 spoons?
If yes, that's great because it shows some understanding of what those numbers actually mean, if not, that is an area you could try? (not in a hot-housey sort of way!!)

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Rose

Star

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 12:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Spider
Can he 'bring you' the numbers from 1-10?
Eg - Go and get mummy 7 toy cars, 5 bananas, 9 spoons?
If yes, that's great because it shows some understanding of what those numbers actually mean, if not, that is an area you could try? (not in a hot-housey sort of way!!)

I think so, but probably only up to 3 or 4. He has a box of four puzzles, and when he's done them, he ponits to each one and counts 1,2,3,4. If i cover one up, and ask him how many now, he'll say 3. So yes i think he is grasping the concept of whta numbers represent.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 3:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rose
and he kept calling out what was coming next, we got some very odd looks, as if i'd been coaching him.

and frankly I can't see that a little bit of that is out of order anyway. But it just sounds to me like you have a bright little boy with an inquisitive mind x

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 4:33pm

what a genius. you need to promote that ability Rose. ENCOURAGE it all the way

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "victoria82" (Nov 12th 2008, 4:47pm)

Rose

Star

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 5:31pm

Thank you. He makes me very proud :D
x

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 7:14pm

I think it's great :D and I would just go with it clever T!

M loves numbers but only because of the number jacks!

Her thing is the moon, yep the moon, she is obbessed by it, she knows full moon, half moon, quarter moon ect and lets us know everyday which it is, she goes mad if she can't see it and tells everyone if she can, she spent an hour the other day just looking at it from her window and talking to us about it being a half moon and it's not broken it's just half hiding and she can't reach it but wishes she could......I have often wondered where we got her from...... ?(

The other thing is planes and helicopters.

Rose

Star

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 7:50pm

Awww bless her. They're so funny aren't they!!!
T likes the moon too, and gets very excited when it's a full moon. Tonight when i picked him up from nursery it was cloudy, but you could still see a blurrry moon through the clouds. He looked up and said " I think the moon is cold mummy, it's wrapped in a big cloudy blanket........" how sweet is that??

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 8:13pm

Plum is frightened of the moon :rolleyes:

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 8:58pm

Jodie, Please do encourage your child to try writing just check the hold of their pencil. It is so great when they comeinto school being able to do that!!! (I am a teacher!)

Dora is also great for Spanish, they love it too.

Sounds like we have a few future MENSA applicants!!! Lots love :D
Keep smiling :happy:

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 12th 2008, 11:18pm

oh now M holds her pencils really well, always has. She drew an eye the other day and it was brilliant :D YES I AM BOASTING!

Now if M can't see the moon she either says he's asleep or he's on holiday :D and when we get up she says "it's the morning ...no moon though, the moon comes out at night time, or he goes on holiday...." lurve

Rose

Star

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 4:09pm

Oohh so sweet!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 4:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rose
He looked up and said " I think the moon is cold mummy, it's wrapped in a big cloudy blanket........" how sweet is that??

Aaawwww!

How clever are these little ones? Mooch has an obsession with numberjacks too.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE