Unread posts

Soooz

Star

• "Soooz" started this thread

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 4:56pm

general question re: iui v's icsi

Hi. I have read through the information provided by eeyore regarding iui and note that it is used for male and female infertility, but that icsi is by the far the best for severe male infertility. I am just wondering how severe severe male infertility has to be for iui not to be used? The reason i'm asking is that i am ok but dh has poor motility, mobility and morbidity... (we are in the process of getting another sa done to see just what we have to play with so to speak). At our last icsi (failed due to early ovulation) we were told that there was about 300,000 good quality sperm in the sample he provided that morning. What I'm thinking is would that kind of quantity (i know still very low but it only takes one!) be sufficient to warrant trying iui instead of icsi ?

We had asked our previous clinic this question but they were not happy to proceed with iui and convinced us at that time to proceed with icsi which we did.

Any advice pls xx
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: on way :)

Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 6:01pm

Hi Soooz
not sure if i can be much help but we were advised the ICSI route too. My DH had poor motility and morbidity but after kicking his 50 a day marlboro light habit this improved greatly. I asked the same question and my consultant said that success rates were better with ICSI which was the main reason we then went for that.
We had a couple of goes with IVF as his sperm was so much better but although they managed to fertilise my eggs we miscarried early. The latest BFP was through ICSI so my fingers are crossed for you too.
Best of luck!
Sx

36 yrs
1 yr clomid
ICSI July 06 - BFP, m/c 5 weeks
FET March 07 - BFN
ICSI July 07 - BFN
IVF Nov 07 - BFP, m/c 5 weeks
ICSI April 08 - BFP, m/c 5 weeks
ICSI Sept 08 with steroids - BFP, saw heartbeat at 5 weeks!
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Peppa

Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 8:18pm

It's an interesting question Soooz, i wish i could help you more but i don't know enough about the quality needed for iui.
All i know is that my dh had a good count and motility but low normal forms and we were told that iui wouldn't be an option for us but then we had the added prob of my pco so i guess this would have affected this decision.

I know you said that your dh had a fair number of sperm last time but this is not the only issue - if he has low normal forms for example then a high percentage of these sperm may be incapable of fertilising an an egg.

Have you thought of asking sperm scientist who may be able to go through it i more detail?

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Soooz

Star

• "Soooz" started this thread

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 9:56pm

aw thanks mich.... :yes: paul's gonna go through p's sample result when its back and give us a little more advice.

will be asking at the clinic also

xxxx
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

Peppa

Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 9:58pm

Oh that's good Soooz - Paul will know!

Good luck hun xfingers

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Friday, October 31st 2008, 11:00am

Hey Sooz

As Michelle says it isn't just the count that matters. Good idea to go to Paul though, he will defo have some good advice for you!

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE