You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Devondog

• "Devondog" started this thread

Reg: Feb 22nd 2008

Sunday, September 7th 2008, 8:11pm

Don't know where to turn

Hi Everyone,
I hope you can spare a few mins to offer me advice, im feeling really down and confused about the whole ttc thing. We were refered to a fertility clinic (NHS) in Jan 08 after no sign of a BFP after 2 1/2 years. Initial tests showed my husbands sperm has very low 'normal' morphology (5-8%) and my cycle has always been longer than 28 days. We were convinced that IUI or IVF would be suggested but the consultant dismissed our concerns over DHs sperm and basically put me on clomid to 'sort out my cycle'. For the first 2 cyles on clomid i had to go in for a day 12 ultasound, my follicles were looking promising and not too big or too many. I was quite surprised that the nurse told me it would be unnecessary to come in on cycles 3-6 on clomid as it she didnt think it was likely that i would over-stimulate.
Next month i had my HSG and the chap was rather vague but did make a general statement that both tubes seemed normal and clear. I presumed i would then go in and discuss the results in more depth at the clinic (he also took a swab from my cervix - what for i dont know). During this time my husband has had a heart attack and been made redundant. We are both very low and stressed which im sure is not helping the situation. We were told to contact the clinic if the 5th cycle of clomid wasnt successful, in order to discuss the next step, likely to be IUI.
We both feel that we need to see the consultant asap but when my DH phoned he was told she could 'squeeze us in' in 6 weeks time !! We were not allowed to see a different consultant. We both feel concerned about the lack of monitoring whilst i am on clomid and the fact that i could be going through this for nothing because my husbands sperm analysis is so poor. I dont know what i am entitled to do- can i change to a different NHS hospital ? should i pay for a private consultation ? would acupuncture help our emotions ? Just fed up with everyone telling us to 'keep our chins up' or 'it will happen in time' . Sorry to rant on, hope everyone else is having more luck.
Thanks in advance xxx

Reg: Nov 26th 2007

Sunday, September 7th 2008, 8:23pm

Hi

I'm sorry I can't offer advice on Clomid or IUI as I bypassed all that but I'm sure there are plenty of ladies on here who will be able to help out.

I think a six week wait is probably quite normal to see a consultant on the NHS (I had one that you had to wait three weeks for to see privately!!) but if you're unhappy with your consultant/clinic then it might be worth going back to see your GP and finding out whether you can be referred somewhere else. I thought the NHS had to let you choose where you are treated now (although I may be wrong).
Me 32 - Blocked tubes cleared 2007, very slim chance of conceiving naturally
DH 31 - No problems

1st IVF Dec 07 - Poor response - BFN
2nd IVF Mar 08 - BFN
3rd IVF - Sep 08 - BFP but didn't quite make it :sadface:
4th IVF - May 09 - BFN

5th IVF - Nov 10 - BFN

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Sunday, September 7th 2008, 8:23pm

hi devondog,

Would like to say welcome to this lovely forum everyone is so nice and helpful we will help you through yoyr journey as much as we can. :happy:

I am really sorry to hear of your troubles not sure if i can personally help you as my DH sperm is fine , think the problem lies with me but my opinion would be maybe they are just tryin the clomid first to c if this would work before trying the ivf , i personally would try and stay NHS for the time being as private can be so costly for you both.In general i would say to try and trust your consultant as they know what they are doing but also try and voice your concerns to them and tell them exactly what you are both feeling bout the situation.

Try not to get too upset i know this is easier said than done .

good luck to you both with TTC hope your journey is short for you both and you get a BFP soon

For you :flowers: feel free to ask any questions you like

lots of love natalie
IVF 1 AUG 08 BFN
FET FEB 09 BFN
IVF 2 MAY 09 BFN BLEEDING 6 DAYS BEFORE TEST DAY
WE ARE HAVING A BREAK FROM IVF FOR NOW

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 7th 2008, 8:33pm

Hi

I'm sorry you are feeling like this. Ttc is hard at the best of times but when you come up against the type of problems with clinics that you have then it gets so much harder. :sadface:

You've said previously that your DH has severe abnormal morphology and that ICSI was likely to be your only option. I don't know much about male factor issues - was this something that you have discussed with your clinic?

There are a few things that occur to me that might help:

* Contact your clinic again and say that you can take a cancellation appointment which may mean you get to see them sooner than 6 weeks.

* Do everything that you can in the next 6 weeks (or up until you have your appointment) to research your situation and circumstances and draw up a list of questions ready to ask at the meeting. As others have said, 6 weeks is not unusual to have to wait for an appointment.

* Consider having a private consulation in the meantime - although this will obviously cost and you may find that having to go through tests etc with them may take you longer than the 6 weeks you are waiting for your NHS appointment. I would be tempted at least to get another SA done.

Do you not have any monitoring on the clomid now? Not even day 21 blood tests? Its not good not be monitored. Have you found that your cycles have become more regular?

I don't know whether you can change your NHS hospital. It might be worth a call to your local patient liaison service (PALS) or your GP to see what advice they can offer.

Re acupuncture - I think whatever will make you feel more relaxed over the next few weeks will be beneficial to your overall wellbeing.

I am sorry that you are going through this and I hope your DH is well on the road to recovery.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Devondog

• "Devondog" started this thread

Reg: Feb 22nd 2008

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 9:20pm

feeling abandoned

Hi all,
Have just finished taking Clomid for the 5th cycle and have a few queries i hope you can help me with. I wanted to discuss these issues with my fertility consultant but i have to wait 6 weeks to see her, so i feel a bit lost i suppose. :sadface:
Anyway, ive read that alot of women are having ultrasound scans on c day 12 aswell as blood tests done for each cycle on clomid. I only had an ultrasound done on my first 2 cycles and was told not to come in to the hospital again unless there was a problem. Should i be insisting on being monitored ? Part of me is angry to think i have to stamp my feet to get noticed.
Also, i was wondering if anyone suffers with trapped wind as a side effect of clomid and what if any treatment actually works :happy:
If anyone lives in the southwest and has any comments about nhs treatment, i would love to hear them.
Many thanks,
fingers crossed for a BFP for you all soon xxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Devondog" (Sep 9th 2008, 9:21pm)

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 11 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE