Unread posts
  • "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "SingingNun" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 5:19pm

WHAT IS IUI?

My Consultant mentioned something today about possibly in the future doing IUI. I don't know anything about this apart her saying they prepare the sperm and overstimulate the ovaries. Could anyone tell me what is involved?

Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 8:08pm

RE: WHAT IS IUI?

i only know a bit about it, but i am sure the IUI girls will be able to help you more.
but i think it when they time your ovulation and try to do an insermination using your partner sperm

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, March 22nd 2006, 8:03am

Hi Lorraine

IUI is what I've just had a couple of cycles of.

The actual IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination) itself is as follows :
when you are ready to ovulate, your partner provides a sample of semen. This goes to the clinic in the morning. They wash the sperm and remove all dead cells, fluid etc.. so it's effectively neat. Then the sperm to be used are placed in a pink fluid. You go to the Clinic a little later in the day, and the sperm are inserted. This is done by opening your cervix with the normal speculum (as in a smear test), then the nurse will use what looks like a long syringe instead of a needle on the end, there is a long very thin tube. That goes inside your cervix to your uterus and the sperm are injected!

Wednesday, March 22nd 2006, 8:10am

There are various different ways to stimulate your ovaries, it can be very confusing!!

You can either be inseminated on a natural cycle, with no drugs at all, and just when you ovulate, they then take the sperm and inject into your uterus,

You can also take pills to stimulate - this can be a drug called Clomid or a newer one called Letrazole.
These you take daily from days 2-6 of a cycle. They force the body to produce more than the normal 1 follicle each month. They normally look for 2 possibly 3 follicles.
Again, when your body gets itself ready to ovulate they take the sperm & inject.

The most common way is to use FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) injections. Don't worry about this - they don't actually hurt as much as you think they're going to.
There are different protocols to this too.
Either you just inject from day 1 or 2 of a normal cycle - either every day or alternative days. Again, once ready to ovulate, you will take another differnet drug injection and that forces your body to ovulate.
The other protocol is the one I was on each time
You basically treat it as an IVF cycle. It takes a long time, but your body is totally under control - as in you can't possibly ovulate without you telling your body to. You sniff a drug which "downregulates" your body - takes you to a pre-menopausal state. Once this is happens, you then inject around 10 days or so. Once your Cons thi8nks the follies are a good size, you take the 2nd injection drug which forces you to ovulate.

I know reading back on that you'll think WHAT???!!!!

It is maddening how clinics all differ in what they do for an IUI cycle
But the best thing is, when you talk again to your Cons about doing the IUI - ask specifically what the protocol is, then we can help you out with what to expect !

xx

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 22nd 2006, 5:30pm

THANKS VERY MUCH. I am sure it will be okay when it comes to it as they'll explain it all but I had only heard bits about it and the only bit I knew about was the sort of "sperm washing". I found your explanation very easy to follow so thanks for taking the trouble to explain it to me. Is that you became pregnant then Lisa - by IUI?

Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SingingNun" (Mar 22nd 2006, 5:31pm)

Rufus

Star

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Wednesday, March 22nd 2006, 7:10pm

Hi Lorraine. I have had 4 IUIs. Though Lisa's description is spot on, if there's anything else you think of, feel free to pm me. Lol Lesa xx
Keep smiling :happy:

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 8:39am

Hi Lorriane

Yes it was through IUI. We didn't even get around around to any [zx084] at the time... so we definately know the procedure works :)

• United Kingdom

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 5:32pm

Are you looking forward to your next scan Lisa?

Lorraine xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE