You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "pixiewish" started this thread

Reg: Apr 4th 2007

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 9:00pm

IVF abroad

Has anyone got any positive/negative experiences of IVF treatment abroad?

Does it work out cheaper than going private in the Uk and how can I find out about costs, success rates etc?

Any recommendations?

I know it might seem quite early on to be thinking about this as we are still waiting to see the urologist and there may be something that can be done surgically, but if not then I thought if we were gonna have to have IVF and go private for treatment it might be less stressful to combine it with a holiday.

Thanks
Me 28 DH 28.
DH=v.low sperm count, Me=endo. laparoscopy 10/1/08.
ES/ICSI starts soon :pray:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 9:36pm

RE: IVF abroad

HI, I haven't got any experience on this myself but i think there's another lady on here who is getting her treatment in Norway pretty soon.

can't be any harm in investigating it

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 9:49pm

Thanks ...would that be Addy??

have pm'd her
Me 28 DH 28.

Rynkies

Reg: Apr 2nd 2007

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 10:21pm

Hi Pixiewish:

I'm from South Africa where IVF cost about R20 000 - R30 000 per cycle - you will have to talk to the doctor at the clinic (works out 1,456.85 pounds to 2,185.64 pounds)

here is some clinics in Cape Town if you wanna have a look at the websites

http://www.capefertilityclinic.co.za/files/index.htm

http://www.aevitas.co.za/

PM me if you need more info
7 cycles on Clomid and "Homeplan" all resulting in a :BFN:
2 cycles of IUI all resulting in a :BFN:
GIFT resulting in a :BFN:
[zx076] [zx178] [zx076] [zx178] [zx076]

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 10:26pm

thankyou...will have a look and will probably be Pming you shortly xx
Me 28 DH 28.

Rynkies

Reg: Apr 2nd 2007

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 10:41pm

You're welcome - Prof Kruger specializes in male fertility - can read up about his achivements under the research link on the http://www.aevitas.co.za/ site - he is the guy we are seeing ;)
7 cycles on Clomid and "Homeplan" all resulting in a :BFN:
2 cycles of IUI all resulting in a :BFN:
GIFT resulting in a :BFN:
[zx076] [zx178] [zx076] [zx178] [zx076]

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 8:02am

A friend of mine who lives in America travelled to Turkey to have her treatment. She is herself turkish which would have influenced her choice! But the clinic she went to is popular with people from the UK and US, their website has a UK number.

http://www.treatmentabroad.net/infertili…inemed-hospital

The site lists costs and success rates.

HTH
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Nics

Reg: Apr 10th 2007

Friday, May 11th 2007, 11:13pm

hi Guys,
Just looked at that turkish place for ivf is that right the 50-60% for below 38yr old's success rate surely not??that seems really high, don't wanna put a dampener on things but very happy if it is??
Anyone with comments or anyone that;s been there will be greatly recievd, excuse my terrible spelling very tired tonight!!
nics
xx
Nics xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nic 8 years TTC
Insulin Dependant Diabetic
Clomid-Nothing
1st Attempt at IVF 16/4/07 :BFN:
FET- 17/8/07- Embryos didn't survive thawing process
2nd Attempt IVF :BFP:

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 1:07am

Nics - be careful how success rates are measured - they may not be including all the ladies who had cycles cancelled, or those that didnt respond to the drugs and make eggs, or those that made eggs but had none fertilised.

Often clinics boasting of high success rates only count the women that had fertilised eggs implanted and what you are seeing is the pregnancy rate from those alone.

The average success rate is about 30% or 1:3..... but that doesnt mean third time lucky unfortunately. There is no guarantee in this game, sadly.

Sorry to put a dampner on things, but IVF/ICSI is never a sure thing.

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 12:09pm

Hi Nics,
It says on the website (somewhere) that, as sunshine suggests, the rates are pregnancy rates -ie percentage of cycles that result in a positive pregnancy test. This is likely to be about 15% higher than the take home baby success rate once miscarriages are taken into consideration

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 1:38pm

We did our 3rd tx in South Africa at Cape Fertility Clinic - we chose to go for ICSI/egg donation as at the time I was concerned about my egg production and quality. The clinic were fantastic. OK - it didn't work for us, but it was the least stressful of all of my tx's and you get to see a beautiful country at the same time. We chose it as the results were good, the costs were low and I know Cape Town really well.

Dr Weisweidel was our consultant and he was wonderful, as was the head nurse, Karin Schwenke. Without rummaging thru a load of papers I can't tell you exactly how much it all cost, but all in all, including the treatment, drugs, flights, accommodation and spending money, it came to just under what a tx costed us in the UK. I can recommend flights, hotels etc if you want any further info.

Last year someone from FZ contacted me and I passed her all the info re. Cape Fertility Clinic. She went on to have a successful IVF cycle there and a brill holiday in the process!

ZIG x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Leela

Reg: Jun 14th 2007

Thursday, June 21st 2007, 6:28pm

RE: IVF abroad

hi there

I made this site so I can help others have IVF abroad...

IVF in Europe

www.ivfineurope.co.uk

There's lots of clinics and advice on there - I hope it helps!

leela xx
TTC 2.5 Yrs
Had every test known to man
IUI Nov 06 - BFN
IUI Feb 07 - BFN
IVF June 07, Denmark [zx076] BFP!! Son born 23rd Feb 08

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Thursday, June 21st 2007, 7:05pm

With going abroad say in europe, it seems like you only have to go for a few days, I have thought of doing one in the states but asummed I'd have to stay out there for 2 months. Would this not be the case do you think?

My doc did say that going abroad especailly with the states means a big legal loophole with regards to treatment, not sure what he meant.
Haven't looked into further yet as we are doing one here in August, was planning maybe another here if have to then go abroad but may change that.

Decisions ! Decisions !
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, June 21st 2007, 8:57pm

Hi, there have been loads of posts on here about treatment abroad lately. I am using a clinic in Norway, as is another lady on here (that I know of). It does work out cheaper, even when you take into account travel and accommodation. At the clinic I am using, you go over for your initial consultation (which is free), they then book you in for your treatment (no waiting list). You down regulate over here with drugs purchased on your first visit, and then travel back to Norway around day 10 of stimms, where they arrange ec and et. On the second trip they recommend staying 5 to 7 days.

IVF/ICSI treatment abroad This is where I started a thread recently, and there is quite a lot of info on there.

There is also another clinic that I was looking into in Naples, Italy. The cost is much cheaper again, (approx £1700 for ICSI). You go and see the consultant in London, and go over to Italy for ec and at, so that reduces the need to travel even more. http://www.crm-napoli.com/ It's an Italian website, but you can email the doc direct. He is English so no probs about language barrier. He will answer any questions you may have.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

SarahV

Superstar

• "SarahV" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 3rd 2008

Children: One on the way, yippee

Wednesday, March 5th 2008, 7:45am

Just thought I would reply as I am currently living in Switzerland. I'm not sure it works out that much cheaper having it done over here (once you factor in flights and accomodation). My husband's work have provided us with health insurance that covers us, however one thing that is worth noting - most Swiss insurers don't cover IVF so the government has set a price cap on TX costs. I am about to start next month so will let you know.

The only other thing I can add is that the doctors over here and clinics are well respected and they certainly put in the hours!

Sx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE