You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 17 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

hollybolly

Superstar

• "hollybolly" started this thread

Reg: Jan 30th 2008

Children: Soon !!

Wednesday, January 30th 2008, 8:12pm

Zero Sperm count.

Hello Everyone,

My Husband has just been told that he has zero sperm count.
We had been trying for four years and as nothing had happened we went to get tested and this was the result.
We are heartbroken and just dot know what to do.
Has anyone else here been through this?
Does anyone know if there is a cure of some sort?
Thanks x

AZOOSPERMIA confirmed 01/2008
TESE sucessfull 08/09
Reconstruction failed 11/09 .
Icsi June 13 - Bfn
Feb2014 = Natural cycle icsi bfn

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Wednesday, January 30th 2008, 9:14pm

hollybolly, there *might* be a couple of options:

they are pesa/ tesa and testicular biopsy. all would include you having ivf as icsi.

I'm really sorry I haven't got time for a long reply, but if you do a search on those things, and the term "azoospermia" you should get some ideas. there is no guarauntee they will find any sperm in a biopsy from your dh's testes but if they do they can usually freeze it for icsi. he may be eligible for having this done through a urologist on the nhs. My dh did and they found nothing so we had to go ahead with donor treatment but decided to adopt after a few cycles.

it is a very very difficult time and whilst after four years you will probably be desperate to see someone or do something, try to give yourselves a week or three to reflect and really consider how you feel.

It may be worth ringing a few private clinics to get some info, even if you don't decide to go ahead with them they do send out some good reading material, and if all is well with you costs could be reduced for ivf by considering "egg sharing" programs. a lot to think about I know.

take care, browse through the "rough guide" stickies in the male factor, ivf/icsi and iui/diui boards- you should find plenty to keep you busy.

take care of each other
x
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, January 30th 2008, 11:23pm

RE: Zero Sperm count.

:hi: Hollybolly

Welcome to :FZ: hon.....

Big :hugs: first and foremost.....

I still remember the day me and my DH were told he was azoospermic (zero count) and our lives changed forever. Ok...so we can't conceive naturally...not ever.....but once you get your head around the alternatives....you look at that as your way of conceiving.

Have a google at PESA TESE and TESA....these are the procedures men can have to surgically retrieve sperm. My DH most likely was born with his problem (congenital absence of the vas deferens) (I say most likely as he's never been given a positive diagnosis!) but there was nothing to point towards that (normal, healthy sex life etc etc)....so obviously it came as a huge shock and we felt and still feel robbed of what most people take for granted...making a baby.

When we had our first ICSI last year, the clinic were succesful in retrieving sperm from his epididymis (that's the PESA method) and the best sperm were used to fertilise the 10 eggs I'd had collected using ICSI (one sperm injected into one egg). Whilst we had some fertilisation, we only had two come embryo transfer but these had every chance of success. Sadly it wasn't meant to be but we're trying again!! He will once again have a PESA as his sperm did not thaw very well from the first retrieval.

If you've only just found out the zero count, my guess is you'll be referred to your local NHS fertility clinic and await an appointment. A thorough family and medical history will be taken and anything obvious that may be the cause will be discussed (e.g undescended testes). He is likely to be tested for Cystic Fibrosis and will probably have some hormone blood tests as well. Hormone levels can be good indicators of sperm being produced (it just can't get out!).

You will have a good few weeks and probably months of tests and decisions to be made - it's not easy Holly....I won't lie to you.....and you have a lot to get your head around...but sites like FZ are a great source of information and you've certainly found it a lot sooner than me! It's so nice and reassuring to know there are other people out there going through the same stuff but more importantly that you still have options and those options can give you that much wanted family.

If you want any more info....fire away hon...

Sorry you're having to go through this....but you will get through it......everything just takes a bit of time and patience!!

All the best holly

xxxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, January 30th 2008, 11:33pm

RE: Zero Sperm count.

Quoted

Originally posted by hollybolly

Does anyone know if there is a cure of some sort?
Thanks x

Forgot to say.......the question re the cure was one of my first too......"is there an operation?" "can they fix him?".......sadly it appears that the plumbing of men is just too complex to mend.

Men who have had vasectomies can have reversals but these aren't always successful and that's when its obvious where the "cut" has been made.....so to go looking for a blockage or missing part is virtually impossible.

We all want there to be a magic solution and maybe there will be in years to come but unfortunately for us right now there isn't.

What you have to take comfort from is that ICSI (the procedure I referred to above to fertilise the eggs).....is still relatively new in the whole scheme of things. Had we been 20 years older we would not have had the opportunity of having our own children so who knows where technology will be in 20 years' time!!

Must go to bed now......I've got a scan tomorrow and have to get to the clinic for 7.30am!!!! Yikes

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

hollybolly

Superstar

• "hollybolly" started this thread

Reg: Jan 30th 2008

Children: Soon !!

Thursday, January 31st 2008, 12:05am

Hi Duffymoon & Vegemite :O) x

Thank you both for all your kind help and advice xxx

I am just starting to get my head around all these terms and procedures!

I will reply in more depth tommorow , have had a bad day/night and feel totally drained !

Congratulatons on your little angel Vegemite and Duffymoon , GOOD LUCK XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXBig Hugs

AZOOSPERMIA confirmed 01/2008
TESE sucessfull 08/09
Reconstruction failed 11/09 .
Icsi June 13 - Bfn
Feb2014 = Natural cycle icsi bfn

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 17 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE