You are not logged in.

Unread posts

wb1967

• "wb1967" started this thread

Reg: Dec 13th 2007

Thursday, December 13th 2007, 12:08pm

Interpreting semen test results

Can anyone help with interpreting my semen function test results? I had a vasectomy reversal in September, 5 years after the original op. I'm a bit confused, as my consultant told me there were 6 million sperm present, with good motility, and gave me the impression all was well, congratulations etc, and I came out feeling very good about it.

But having researched it, my count seems quite low. I have had 4 children from my first marriage, so apparently my sperm quality should be good, and that might counteract the low count.

I can't seem to find out what all the test categories actually mean. Here's what my results actually came back as:

Volume: 2.5 ml
Appearance: normal
Liquefaction: normal
Consistency: normal
Density: 6.0 x 10°/ml
Motility: a) 5 b) 20 c) 20 d) 55
% Normals: 11
Leucocytes: 0 x 10°/ml
Agglutination: + %
Sperm MAR: 0 %, Type: Neg

I know there obviously is sperm there, so the reversal has basically worked, but now I'm not as confident as I was. I could always get another test done. I've pretty poor advice from the consultant and hospital, so wasn't aware of contributory factors such as days of abstinence etc.

Reg: Jul 19th 2007

Children: 1 lovely Step Son aged 17

Thursday, December 13th 2007, 12:39pm

Hi and welcome

sorry your finding your consultant & hospital not very helpful, on my DH SA test results he got his list of Semen Volume, Motile sperm ETC... and on another colum there were all the ranges the SA should be in.

If the doctor has said everything looks ok I wouldnt worry too much, your Semen volume is within the range it should be in (2.0 - 10.0).

ME 32
DH 38
TTC 4.5yrs
Lap & Dye 07 very mild endo
6 clomid cycle's 100mg all :BFN:

Reg: Jul 26th 2007

Children: Yes please!

Thursday, December 13th 2007, 4:25pm

The sperm scientist should be able to help you. Hope they can give you the answers you are looking for. Good luck on your journey. x
TTC 2002.
1st icsi BFP 4th Dec 07.Twins! Miscarried!
2nd icsi BFN July 08
3rd icsi BFN Dec 08
4th FET BFN Aug 09
5th icsi BFPJan 2010
http://lb1m.lilypie.com/Ya1o.png

Reg: Dec 9th 2007

Monday, December 17th 2007, 8:48pm

RE: Interpreting semen test results

Hi and welcome

This is what I found on internet....

What is a normal sperm count?

Guidelines from the WHO suggest that normal count is about 50-150 million per ml. Motility 50-80%. Progression is a subjective parameter, which is scored 0-3. Normal is scored 2 or better, which indicates that the motile sperm move with vigour. Feeble moving motile sperms would be scored 0 or 1. Generally only donor samples score progression of 3. The WHO fertile abnormality rate would be 25-40%.
The WHO suggests that the following values indicate infertility: count less than 20 million per ml, motility less than 40%, progression less than 2, abnormality rate in excess of 40%.
Me 28, DH 29
TTC - 1 year
Feb 08 - hysteroscopy - endometritis diagnosed
Apr 08 - just had my booster MMR jab
May 08 - DH is to have another SA....
16 Jun 08 - appointment with consultant to discuss a next step...

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Wednesday, December 19th 2007, 7:58pm

sit down and discuss the results with a doctor. tell them you want it all explaning in laymens terms.
ME- 23
DH- 26
DH azoospermic. Testicular Biopsy performed 06. started 1st ICSI Nov 2007.
Preg Test - 3rd Jan 08. Result...F*ck Knows whats going on at the mo!!! ?????

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE