You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 17 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "Penguin" started this thread

Reg: Feb 22nd 2007

Saturday, November 10th 2007, 3:38am

ONE little million

I've never understood the numbers and percentages regarding the sperm quality. We never got them on print anyway, we were told that the motility was poor and we thought that was our main problem, in addition to my PCOS of course.

We had number of clomid cycles and when it was clear that didn't work we had couple of medicated IUI's. We were told that we had a chance conceiving 'naturally' as some percentage of the sperm was fine. After all they don't need to swim that far if they are inseminated, so we were hopeful and maybe a little ignorant.

If I had been aware of just how bad the sperm really was, I would have insisted going straight for ICSI.

The most recent sperm results showed that there is only ONE million of them per mil. We asked if the count was always the problem and apparently that has been the case, it was 3 millions last time but now there is only one. Men need to have more than 20 millions per mil to be considered fertile!!!

Why let us spend money, energy and all this hope on IUI's only one year ago??? X(

Now I'm afraid the count is going further down and at some point there will be zero of them. Do you know any examples of that kind of tragedy? I don't understand why the count has dropped, he has never smoked, hardly ever drinks (gave it up altogether when we started tx) and does everything a man should do to enhance the sperm (no hot baths, takes vitamins etc.).

I'm stimming for my second ICSI and getting worried about the egg count and their fertilization. I have to get many good embryos to freeze, just in case the sperm goes worse in the future.

Me 28, DH 32, TTC 5 yrs+ clomid and IUI's - always BFN

ICSI Feb/Mar 07 - BFP - d/c on 8th week (blighted ovum)
FET May/Jun 07 - BFP - m/c at 6 wks
FET Aug/Sep 07 - BFP/BFN (very early loss)
ICSI Oct/Nov 07 - BFP - lost my angel girl on 12th week
FET Apr/May 08 - surprise natural BFP while d/r - m/c at 5 wks+
Another BFP after the FET and now it's finally my turn!

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 21st 2007

Children: 2

Saturday, November 10th 2007, 12:04pm

Hi Penguin,

My dh has less than 1 million per mil (can't remember how much exactly but very low due to having leukemia when 18 ).

Anyway, we are having our first cycle of ICSI and we just recieved a phone call this morning to say 8 of my eggs have fertilised!

yesterday DH was disheartened when the embryologist said his sperm sample was not as good as the SA he had done in January. He too has been avoiding alcohol, taking vitamins, taking showers. When he gave a better sample back in January (still below 1 million per mil) they said no need to freeze. I hope this all makes sense!

i am sure if you are concerned they will freeze for you.

good luck and sorry you have been given the run around for the last year. hopefully you are on the right road now.

Icsi Oct 07 BFP 25th Nov - miscarried @ 7 weeks
Icsi April 08 BFP May 23rd
15th Jan 09 - Gave birth to 2 beautiful girls!

• "Penguin" started this thread

Reg: Feb 22nd 2007

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 6:31am

Thank you Zoe, that was very inspirational!! Congratulations on your huge success with the fertilization. I'm over the moon for you! :)

I feel a lot more positive now. Guess the count doesn't matter as much as you would think, when we have the great technology of ICSI. After all, if 10 eggs get collected they only need 10 sperm cells for the job!

Last time we got 10 eggs and 8 of them fertilitised with ICSI. Even though the sperm count has dropped since then, we must still have a good chance with this amazing technology.

I should thank for the million instead of complaining and worrying. It could be a lot worse!

Me 28, DH 32, TTC 5 yrs+ clomid and IUI's - always BFN

ICSI Feb/Mar 07 - BFP - d/c on 8th week (blighted ovum)
FET May/Jun 07 - BFP - m/c at 6 wks
FET Aug/Sep 07 - BFP/BFN (very early loss)
ICSI Oct/Nov 07 - BFP - lost my angel girl on 12th week
FET Apr/May 08 - surprise natural BFP while d/r - m/c at 5 wks+
Another BFP after the FET and now it's finally my turn!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Penguin" (Nov 11th 2007, 6:32am)

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 10:31am

HI Hunni
My DH is the same, less than a million plus there are motility issues also. We went straight to ISCI for this reason. We had loads of eggs hun, a fab fertilisation rate for each treatment, a BFN first go and my little boy the 2nd attempt. Please don't give up hope.

Caz xxx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 7:45pm

Hi we were the same less than 1million per ml, went straight to icsi and had 6 eggs that fertilised but I gave half of mine away so maybe would have had more, good luck xxx

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 17 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE