You are not logged in.

Unread posts

stidds

• "stidds" started this thread

Reg: Jan 12th 2006

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 1:29pm

Been offered IUI (your help appreciated)

Hi all,

This is my 1st post on here although I have read with interest the different topics on the forum since my Wife and I have been going through all the numerous tests with regard to our (in)fertility issues.

We have just been offered 1 cycle of IUI on the NHS, with a view to another 2 cycles being offered if the preparation of sperm is within our hospitals 'new' seemingly sliding (sarcasm) scale. We have an appointment to see the Doctors to discuss IUI, but I would like to go prepared with 'actual' knowledge rather than rely 100% on the Doctors information.

Can you all help me with informing me what we can expect with IUI e.g. drugs that my partner will have to take, injections?, what can we do to make things more successful (64million dollar question eh?), what can I do to make things easier for her etc.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make things as easy as possible for my wife in this, what I image will be a very stressful and emotional time for us both. I will of course be driving her to and from hospital, pampering her and catering to her every whim (fortunately I am an ex-chef so her meals are covered anyway).

Thanks for any help, information supplied. I really appreciate it.

Sean
Sean

ttc: 6+ years / DW: 39 Hostile environment / Me: 41 Bad Swimmers
PCTs: not good / Lap&Dye: Tubes ok / Hyster: Bicornuate uterus
IUI: 2/9/06 BFP M/C 21/11 (ERPC) - 30/4/07 BFN - 5/8/07 BFN
ICSI: 6/08 (private) 2 embies BFN - 11/08 (NHS) 2 embies BFN - 4/10 (private) 2 embies BFN

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "stidds" (Jan 12th 2006, 1:32pm)

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:07pm

Hi Sean

Welcome to the Forum!

I am currently having IUI at Bristol - on the NHS too. So any Q's - very happy to help you out.

If you are at Southmead Hosp, under the same Cons as me, then it is probable that you may be on the same protocol as me which includes the "down-regging" procedure.

This protocol is taking a Pill from day 19 of a cycle for 7 days. This ensures your wife will have a period, therefore cleaning out her system.

If you are down-regging, then from day 21, your wife has to 'sniff' a drug called Buserelin every day for 2 weeks. Then she will be injecting for 7 -11 days with a follicle stimulating drug.
She will have scans and blood tests after a week or so to see whats happening, Depending on what happens.. you will have IUI a couple days after this scan.

Lisa
xxx

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:11pm

hi sean

well different clinic use different drugs some do it without drugs and monitor your wife cycle.

i had injections which are ok i did them to myself as dh doesn't like needles.
just try and be as understanding as poss with you wife as it's hard when your hormones are going nuts and remember that it'll be hard on you too.

my dh came in on every scan and sat there though a dye test not nice but havinh him there was all i wanted, it makes you stronger as a couple
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

stidds

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:39pm

Thanks for the reply's.

Lisa at present we are still attending St. Michaels Hospital for the consultations/tests although I do believe we come under the Southmead Hospital PCT (not good if we need IVF/ICSI).

What is the deal with the injections if that is what we will have? I take it we do them ourselves, how scary is that?

Kara, I am bracing myself for the wild hormones, you women do not have things easy do you? I have been there for every test so far and will be there for everyone in the future, I couldn't bear for her to go through any of this alone. So far all the tests have been hard on us both, I work 12 hour night shifts which finish at 7am, invariably our hospital appointments are between 8.30am and 10am, so I think I have been constantly tired for about a year now.
Sean

ICSI: 6/08 (private) 2 embies BFN - 11/08 (NHS) 2 embies BFN - 4/10 (private) 2 embies BFN

kar1

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:44pm

yeah you do injections yourself and it's not as scary as you would imagine and you get use to um real quick i found the emotions the worst i turned into bitch from hell
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:46pm

Hope you're finding St Michaels helpful. I havn't been there for these fertility investigations etc, but have in yrs past and found them incredibly friendly.

The injections are stimulating drugs to force your wife's body to produce follicles (eggs). She may have to inject each night, and depending on the name of the drug, it'll be in her tummy or her leg. (Most say either and you can chose).

It can be a scary thing... but suprisingly it doesn't hurt as much as you think it's going to.

Most of the problem is getting your head around sticking a needle in your own flesh. The needles are tiny too so that helps.

You can either chose to do it manually yourself - with a syringe, or use an auto-injector.

I do it manually as I couldn't get on with the auto-injector. at all, I felt more out-of-control using the auto

When is your appointment ?

kar1

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:49pm

i did it manually but then i wasn't given the option and i'm glad as i found the slower i did it the less it stung.
it's the unknown thats scary i'm sure you'll both me fine
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:50pm

Hiya Sean,

Welcome to FZ!!

The injecting isn't so bad once you're used to it - it can either be done in the leg or stomach. Just remember to rub the area once injected cos it can feel really prickly later on - did for me during my first IUI!

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:51pm

I'm the same as you Kar. I find I have to do it slowly or else it seems to 'build up' and it feels more forced.

I've gone to quick sometimes and ended up with a little mound where the liquid is trying to find somewhere to go !

Very perculiar ;)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 2:52pm

Hi Sean,
My knowledge isn't as good as the others who've been through it themselves, but I can recommend Zita West 'Fertility and Conception' book for a good overview of all fertility treatments including IUI.

Also I just wanted to welcome you aboard and say how nice it is for a bloke to be so involved in fertility treatment. Your wife is a lucky woman! Good luck, I hope you get a BFP very soon.

stidds

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 3:05pm

Thanks for the excellent information, really appreciated. The injections are pretty scary but we will do what is needed, I would rather the injections were in me as I have no worries about injections as I have been a regular blood doner for 20 years, the wife hates injections though.

Our appointment to discuss the treatment etc is on 26 January (2 weeks today), we are both really excited as this is the 1st bit of good news since all the tests were started.

One question though, my wife is taking folic acid tabs, does she need to continue taking these or will it interfere in any treatment?

Lisa, We have found St Michaels very helpful, the only thing we have experienced that was annoying is the fact they kept moving the goal posts when it came to deciding whether to offer IUI, they are still doing it now.

MrsJasper, thanks for the book recommendation, I will seek it out.
Sean

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "stidds" (Jan 12th 2006, 3:05pm)

kar1

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 3:07pm

try ebay or amazon for the book.
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 3:09pm

You sound very much like my DH and I. He also gives blood and wishes he could do it himself. I've always been terrified of needles - the rubella when a child, tetnus jabs, etc etc.

But, do tell your wife not to be too worried.. she will probably amaze herself at how strong she will actually be when faced with the needle. It does get easier as you go along.

Hints
The medication is stored in the fridge - take out a vial each evening about 1 hour before you plan to do it. Cold meds can ache more when be injecting (advice from a long-time diabetic member of my family).

To help her after the jab, perhaps try a flanel, sponge or just tissue, damp with warm water. My DH started to do this for me recently, and putting something nice and warm over your pin-prick after is very soothing

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 3:09pm

Definately keep up the folic acid.

Is it the PRegnacare tablets?

stidds

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 4:25pm

With regard to the injections, has anyone any experience of using Ametop Gel? It is a cream that is used to locally anaesthatise (sp) an area that is to be injected, used primarilly for people with needle phobia.

I have read on the manufacturers web site (Smith & Nephew) and they say there is no known problems with use (including pregnancy).
Sean

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 5:08pm

Hi Sean

welcome to FZ and good luck with IUI.

no experience with that gel but have heard of stuff like that & when I asked a hospital worker why they don't use it more often they said it's because it takes 30 mins to take effect so they don't have time. That would be a problem for me as I plan to do my injections first thing in the morning and I would never get out of the house!!

I am not keen on needles but was allowed a trial shot of injecting myself in the fertility clinic and was amazed it didn't hurt. I did it in the stomach and the nurse advised me to grab some flesh! first then inject slowly. Will be starting in a week or so for real!

& as Lisa says folic acid is a must in ttc & pregnancy as it prevents neural tube defects in baby (such as spina bifida)

love Flori xx

I will be a Mum!
TTC a few years.
12 months Clomid - BFN! Getting acupuncture/reflexology. Hypothyroid.
First IVF - put on hold Jan. 2006 due to thyroid problem
Young at heart 40 year old! [zx078]

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 5:17pm

I havn't used the gel... but a friend of mine uses it as she has the contraceptive injection. She says it works very well.

If you're unsure, make a note to ask about it at your app.

It may be a good idea to make a list of everything you want to ask, procedures to be explained, any Q's at all. When you get into an app it's very easy to lose track of what you want to say and what you want to find out. You listen to them, then when they ask if you have any Q's your mind goes blank!

Don't worry about taking a pad & pen in with you. And read from your pad, make notes as you go along ! You'll want to remember everything when you get out & talk about it in the evening!
If you see my Cons in Southmead, she's used to a couple having lots of Q's and having a pre-printed sheet of questions and points to make! ;)

Tigger

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 5:22pm

Hi Sean,
Welcome to FZ.

I've heard of the gel before. I used it before having a tattoo on my hip (supposed to be very painful). Unfortunately it didn't work for me but it is used in the childrens ward quite often.

S

No prev preg.
Ovary & Tube removed due to large ov cyst - 1997
Clomid 3months - Nothing (did ov though!)
HSG - no problems found with tube.
6 months Clomid
Watch this space.
Amazing [zx249] on last round of Clomid! :D

Thursday, January 12th 2006, 6:06pm

sean,
sorry i cant help with iui as i`ve never had it!
just wanted to say welcome to fz, and good luck.

me 25,
partner 33,
7 year old daughter
3 step daughters aged 9, 5 and 3
3 m/c 01, 04 and o5

Thursday, February 2nd 2006, 2:44pm

Sean

Just wondering how your appointment went on 26th Jan

Did you get all the information you needed ?

Do let us know when you and your wife are about to start your treatment :)

Lisa
x

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, February 2nd 2006, 2:46pm

Tab - I see your DHs sc is 22mil - is this an improvement? Sorry to pry.

Monday, February 6th 2006, 7:37pm

Hi Jenny

sorry this has taken so long!

The 22mill sperm count is after washing.

The count after washing is be much less than the actual sperm count you get when you just give a sample.

Before washing DH sperm count is 49.5mill, after washing 22mil. So thats a very good count for IUI/IVF after the sperm have been processed!

With your DH's count being 33mill for the insem, his initial sperm count must be way high too!!!

stidds

Monday, February 6th 2006, 10:52pm

Hi everyone, thanks for thinking about us.

We had to cancel the appt for the 26th as my Grand Mother died and her funeral was that day so we had to travel to Scotland (she lived near Aberdeen).

We re-scheduled the appt for 2nd February and went armed with plenty of knowledge and questions. I was so much happier knowing some of the facts from people in the know (you guys) than relying on Consultant babble.

Everything went well at the appt, the only thing we were disappointed at was the wait that we have until we can see the Nurses with regard to starting the IUI. Basically the consultant went over what will happend etc and then we had to make another appt with the Nurses to go over all the drugs we will be taking, how to administer the injections etc etc. This appt is not until 9th May. Jo (wife) was upset at this as all we seem to do is wait, wait, wait. But I suppose this is what everyone has to go through.

It gives us time however to get ourselves in the best of health for this treatment. We have been on a healthy eating trip since the turn of the year and both regularly go to the gym. The healthier you are the better we think, luckily neither of us smoke so nothing serious to kick.

Sorry for rambling on. We will keep you all updated and will monitor the forum regularly, keeping our fingers crossed for everyone else going through various treatments and hope everyone gets a BFP soon.

Sean
Sean

Tuesday, February 7th 2006, 7:13am

hi Sean

sorry to hear about your Grandmother passing away.

am glad that the appointment went well although it's pants that you've to wait until May for the next bit but it will soon be here. As you say it will give you both more time to get as healthy as possible before starting tx and that will give you the best chance of success

take care, love Flori x

I will be a Mum!
TTC a few years.
12 months Clomid - BFN! Getting acupuncture/reflexology. Hypothyroid.
First IVF - put on hold Jan. 2006 due to thyroid problem
Young at heart 40 year old! [zx078]

Tuesday, February 7th 2006, 10:31am

Hi Sean (and Jo!)

Sorry for your loss :(, it's so sad to lose a member of the family.

Very pleased to hear that your appointment went well and you both felt confident with all the information etc.

I guess you're still at St Michaels for the IUI treatment? If you only have to wait a couple months for the planning appointment to get going, thats wonderful. IUI at Southmead is something like 18months+

I know it's not much consolation, and I can sympathise with Jo. It is awful having something else in the way when you know your treatment is just around the corner.

But have faith, in the meantime, if you or Jo have any Q's or worries about it all, what to do to help etc, then keep coming on here! :)

Lisa
x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE