You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Kirsty C

• "Kirsty C" started this thread

Reg: Oct 15th 2007

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 8:13pm

What's your clinic's cut off for no of embies?

Hi there

Im going thru my 2nd round of ICSI, on day 8 of stimming. Last time I got 21 eggs removed and didn't get fresh cycle because my clinics cut off is 20 eggs.

They reduced my dose this time round and I had a scan on Wednesday and still I have lots of follies (12 on each side though some still small) so it looks like I'll get a lot of eggs again.
Im determined this time to get fresh cycle and I am ready to argue my case with the clinic

Can you please tell me what your clinic's cut off is for number of eggs retrived before they abandon due to possible risk of OHSS?

I remember posting on here on my last icsi cycle and a lot of popele thought 21 was quite low for cut off?

Kirstyxxx
2 rounds of ICSI due to male infertility
Both freeze all due to OHSS
3 rounds of natural FET - all BFN
Cuurently on 2ww with medicated FET
BFP 24 th Oct :D
TWINS!!!! :D :D
Lost one twin @ 8 weeks 4 days :sadface:
One healthy baby still on board - please stay with us :pray:

Reg: Jan 26th 2007

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 8:32pm

My cons told me anything over 20 would be a straight freeze

ME:36 DH:38
TTC 2 years
1st IVF April/May 2007
Very Lucky :BFP:17th May 2007
Hayden born 12th January 2008

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 9:07pm

I had a fresh cycle with 22 eggs collected. It must surely depend on several factors, including your oestrogen level, number of eggs and lining thickness. That cycle of mine was fairly touch and go and I did get mild OHSS. I had to coast for a couple of days too to keep the oestrogen from going sky high. My clinic never told me about a cut-off.

Kirsty C

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 10:31pm

Thanks for your replies. Ive had 3 FETs with no success and even though it still might not work with fresh, I still want to at least have the chance of it.

The last time they done my bloods everything was normal, but because cut off was 20 eggs they refused to do fresh cycle and everything was frozen - I wish I had argued my case then as well - why does that one egg make such a difference?!

I understand they have to have protocols but the whole thing is so frustrating!

I have another scan tomorrow so who knows what I'll have now - sometimes it is really sore for me to walk - it feels llike im carrying bricks on either side! lol!

xxx

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Friday, June 1st 2007, 9:31am

Hiya Kirsty

The cut off in my clinic is 20 - i got 21 (had mild OHSS) and so they cancelled after ec. I had 11 frosties , i am currently on my 2nd fet :pray: but if this cycle doesn't work then i will want to go for a fresh cycle and like you if i got a lot again i would defo argue to press forward as the success rates are much higher. I know some people on here who have still gone on after having over 20 eggs.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

starsmile starsmile

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

Kirsty C

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 8:34am

Hi Ruthie

Yeah,, I remember when I posted during my 1st cycle that I got 21 eggs and they were doing a freeze all and people posted saying they were quite surprised they never went ahead with it.

I had another scan yesterday and they said it looks to be much the same as last time though my bloods levels are not quite high enough yet so I've to go in for another scan today to see if I've to take the HCG shot tomorrow for EC on Tuesday.
It's worked out quite well actually because it's the Head consultant that's doing my scan today, so I'll be arguing my case with him! I hope he listens!

xxxx

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 12:05pm

Good luck and fingers crossed :goodluck:

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
ICSI Dec 2006
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
Med Fet May 07 BFP

Kirsty C

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 3:21pm

Hi Ruthie

I spoke with him today - no chance! I dodn't think so. He said cut off was 20 and that was it. I just know Im not going to get a fresh cycle again - urgh! so frustrating!

Good luck with your FET!!!!

xxxx

Addy

Ace

Reg: Nov 6th 2006

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 5:15pm

So sorry Kirsty that your consultant is like this. I think it was Sharon on here that got 30 eggs and went ahead with treatment and she ended up with a pregnancy from it. Is there a chance that you may not actually get that many eggs, that perhaps out of say 24 follies, you may get less than 20 eggs? Hopefully that may be the case for you.

Best of luck

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI
Donor cycle Mar '11 - 3 recipients (2 x BFP (both with twins) 1 x BFN)

Tweeti

Reg: Apr 8th 2007

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 5:49pm

Hi there...I've just completed my first ICSI treatment, and I had many follicles, I had twenty odd on one side and a further eighteen on the other side so my unit heavily emphasised the fact that there would probably be a freeze all...when I actually went for my ec however I actually had 23 eggs in total, and there didn't seem to be any quesiion about not putting them back, it was just like 'go home sleep off the drugs and we'll see you on Thursday!'....

I have to say the whole thing seemed a bit disjointed, but I have to say that even though I had mild OHSS....I was really rough for a few days....

It does seem strange and can be frustrating but just remember even if they do a freeze all its to look after you....

Wishing you all the luck in the world... :goodluck:
Tweeti

Married DH - 2yrs... happydance & [zx068]
1st ICSI - Started April 2007 [Sfunded] :BFN: :tear:
2nd ICSI - October 2007 [Sfunded]

clap BABY GIRLS ARRIVED 8th JULY THANK GOD :pray:

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 7:46pm

Kirsty

Sorry to hear that as i know completely where your coming from in wanting a fresh cycle.
I suppose like Tweetie said they are looking out for you.

I knew too that i was going to get more than 20 eggs as soon as they said on my last scan that if i had more than 20 they wouldn't go ahead. I just knew! Up until that point i didn't have clue that they wouldn't proceed.

Thanks for the good luck wishes i'm so praying that it works this time as i really don't want to go through the ec again.

I hope everything works out for you :hugs: :hugs:

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
ICSI Dec 2006
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
Med Fet May 07 BFP

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 1:00pm

I got over 30 eggs both times around, but they *always* did a fresh cycle because when they came to inject most of my eggs fell apart or werent even good enough to inject, and then they were so worried about the quality they wanted the eggs in as early as possible, and each time all that fertilised and divided were inserted.

thing is - having OHSS really isnt fun. I got "mild" OHSS both times, but it was only "mild" because I was so small (weight) that the bloating didnt show up too badly compared to a normal sized person.

post EC on the 2nd round of treatment as I was being wheeled back due to sedation, I apparantly stopped breathing, they lost my heartbeat, and DH had his worst nightmare come true and had to watch me be resuscitated in an emergency room off the corridor.

first I knew of it was people calling to me whilst I was lying on a trolley in a strange room with DH crying, many doctors & nurses around me and an oxygen mask on my face.

so, yes, it may be very frustrating to not have a fresh cycle, but there are very real and valid reasons why clinics have cut-offs.

Kirsty C

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 3:55pm

Hiya

Yeah, I can totally see the hospital's point of you, it's just every frustrating when you are so desperate for this to work.
I've being going for acupuncture as well to help boost my lining (it was 11.1mm on Friday which is great) and support the embies during transfer but now that all seems pointless and a waste of cash.

Their is still the chance I could get less thean 21 but it doesn't look likely - they say I have (roughly) the same number of follies as the last time, only they are bigger in size so Im thinking I'll get even more eggs than my last cycle.
I'm not sure how that happened, they gave me much less dosage this time but still I produced a large number of follies and they were even bigger?! It may have been the acupunture? My lining is certainly thicker than the last time.

Sunshine, that sounds absolutley terrifying! Your DH (and you!) must have been really scared. It's not sometime any of us want to go through, and unfortunately we put ourselves at risk as soon as we start this treatment.
I tried to plead with the consultant saying I was young, fit and healthy but he said that's exactly the type of people that get OHSS!

Tweetie - that was a pheonomal amount of follies you had! You must have felt like you were carrying bricks around! I know I do...I'm sorry you never got a BFP out of it - are you going for it again? Did you get any frozen?

xxx

Mrs Paulz

Christmas Fairy

Reg: May 26th 2007

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 5:39pm

I look at the number of follies and think to mysel 20.... 30!!!!
I only had 3 the first time and 10 the second with the max dose of stim hormones.That was a few years ago now.
The Doctors only say these things for your health and that of your embies. You have to give them the best chance that you can. Doctors understand what we are going through. I know that it is frustrating and we have to go through these hurdles in our battle to get the family that others get so easily and life is so unfair sometimes.
but looking on the bright side good luck to you all who are going through this at the moment and I mean this from the bottom of my heart
mrs p:smile::smile:
:smile:

Tweeti

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 6:15pm

Wow - collectively we do have a phenominal number of follies don't we girls?!?!?! :scared:

I will be trying again, even though I only recently got BFN, I'm eager to go again, noone said this was going to be easy!

The aim of the 'game' this time as my consultant says is to stop my body going into overdrive, and cooking.....he doesn't have some great phrases, although I'm not keen when he says 'you were going like the clappers'!

It was particularily uncomfortable toward the end, everyone was saying drink lots of water, but as soon as I'd drink even a little I would need a wee ! TMI I know....and then when it got time for the scan I was like, yep you'll have to stop proddling as I need a wee again!

It was particularily awful trying to fasten any pants....I'm looking forward to getting big with a baby but honestly I just looked as though for a weekend, I'd eaten crisps and drank pop! My manager the idiot! :angry: even said to me, god you look fat today...I don't particularily like him, but that was the final straw I think and I couldn't go back to work until we'd had the test, because ec was difficult and they made me swell even more and I just couldn't cope with the comments.... :zipit:

That said, I'm ready to do it all again, :weehee: AND IT WILL WORK THIS TIME - as I wasn't lucky enough to get any snow babies.... :no:

So the moral of the story :listen

Don't worry about the number of follies or eggs, there is absolutely nothing that you can do it about it either way, just try and be comfortable, don't punish your body and stay as calm as possible.....

lurve
Tweeti

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Tweeti" (Jun 3rd 2007, 6:16pm)

Mira

Reg: Mar 13th 2007

Monday, June 4th 2007, 1:34pm

Hi Kirsty,

I had 32 eggs collected without any symptoms of OHSS, not even a slightest pain! I was surprised myself, as the doctor said that being underweight and under 30 increase the risk of developing OHSS. Therefore, in my clinic it all depends on other factors, not just the number of eggs produced. The cut off was never mentioned.
Good luck

Kirsty C

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 3:37pm

Hi All

Well had EC today - 24 eggs! I knew it was gonna be that number! So freeze all (again) for me. The girl next to me got 11 and I felt jealous that she was going back in for her ET on Thursday - wish it was me!
However, I do know that I am lucky getting this number of eggs, and I hope when I phone them tomorrow that they have fertilised and are good enough for freezing.

The EC went fine and I am not sore at all - last time I was really crampy but I do feel really bloated.

Tweetie, when will you be starting again? Good for you getting right back in there - it takes courage and determination for us to go through this - the highs and lows are unbelievable.

Thanks Mrs Paulz for the best wishes and good luck, it means a lot!!
xxxx

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 3:39pm

well done on your eggs and i know your feeling a little disappointed but you will get some great embies.

do you have to wait 3 afs now?

good luck hope the lab is busy tonight
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Reg: Apr 25th 2007

Children: 2 beautiful children - twins, Emily and Ethan born 06.02.2008

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 4:07pm

Kirsty, well done on getting 24 - you should deffo get some good ones from that!! Sorry you have to freeze them though! Good luck for ET when it happens!!
Cookie Jo
Me - 33 DH - 37
2 dogs
1st IVF - :BFP: Emily and Ethan born on the 6th February 2008.

6 frosties & currently TTC naturally before taking the plunge again!

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 4:08pm

Well done on a great number of eggs, Kirsty. Sorry you don't get ET straightaway though. Hope you steer clear of OHSS too over the next few days. Let us know how many fertilise.

Take care.

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 6:39pm

Kirsty

Well done on 24 eggs, sorry to hear you won't be having et. Glad that you feel better this time round. Good luck with fet.

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
ICSI Dec 2006
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
Med Fet May 07 BFP

Tweeti

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 7:45pm

I've been looking but I can't see.... holmes.....But I can't see....Whats the news? How many fertilised?????

:rose:
Tweeti

Kirsty C

Friday, June 8th 2007, 10:25am

Thanks everyone for your best wishes! I feel fine - better than the last time after EC- I think that's because I had less drugs given to me.

14 fertilised so I think we'll get 3 FETs from that like the last time.
I need to do something different this time, I feel like the last 3 attempts at FET were such a waste. Im going to ask them about taking at least attempt to blastocyst stage (though they say thye dont do this often) and also if they can do a medicated cycle rather than natural - though I dont think they will be happy about this.

I feel sometimes you have no control over what happens......even though they go on about it being your treatment when I ask if they can do things differently they look at me as if im an alien and in many cases I know more about it than the nurses! So another thing I was thinking was perhaps moving them to a privtae clinic - I suggested this as well (so I could get my medicated cycle and blastocycts) and they had never heard of this before.

What do you think? Does it cost money to move them? Im assuming it does.

Kind Wishes
Kirstyxxxx

Saturday, June 9th 2007, 9:54am

Yes, it would cost money because they have to package them with dry ice or liquid nitrogen to keep them cold enough. I've arranged shipments of extra-cold things for my work, and I would say you're possibly talking about a three-figure sum (depends on how far it has to travel).

Have you written a letter to your clinic about your feelings about doing things differently? Sometimes, like you, I've felt that discussions verbally are met with "oh no, that's not the best idea" because that's their first instinct, but a letter is more seriously considered. Make sure you write to the head of the clinic too. You have time in a letter to phrase it well, to make it clear that you don't feel convinced that all options have been discussed and that you may consider going elsewhere. Don't say it as a threat, but no clinic (or business) like to think they're losing business.

I ended up getting things differently by writing about it, writing to the Director and doing some research on the internet first.

Saturday, June 9th 2007, 8:53pm

Hiya Kirsty

I have had one natural fet and that resulted in bfn they wanted to do another natural cycle but i insisted that i had a medical one because i am not convinced about my ovulation and in a medicated cycle atleast i know that everythin is right because of the drugs. I had 7 frosties left after my first fet and i asked them what they thought about blasts and they said they would have to thaw them all, they didn't want me to do blasts yet. But if this cycle doesn't work then i will go for a fresh cycle and have blasts if i can. I think if your not happy then tell them like Limpet said maybe a letter would be good.
I don't know anything about transporting them.

Good luck blowkiss

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
ICSI Dec 2006
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
Med Fet May 07 BFP

FERTILITYZONE