You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Martha1

• "Martha1" started this thread

Reg: May 16th 2017

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 4:33pm

RFC, GCRM or abroad for round 2?

Hi ladies

As some of you may be aware our first treatment with RFC worked but ended in early miscarriage. I literally started bleeding the day before test day. I though as I I had tested that morning and gotten a strong positive on first response and 1-2 weeks on clear blue digital that this could be implantation but that turned out not to be the case. To say we were heartbroken is an understatement and even now four weeks later I still find it hard to believe this has happened. It sounds strange but for me the treatment was going to be positive or negative , never in a million years did I think it would work then fail. So, to bring you all up to speed we paid privately for a review with Dr Adabaje. It was originally supposed to be next Wednesday but we got lucky and got a cancellation for yesterday evening. I found it informative but my husband thought it was all abit rehearsed the Dr would not make a recommendation on either RFC or GCRM and just said that he thought both are good. We are unsure whether to try again but if we do I would like to hear what experiences you ladies have had second time around...would you stick with RFC or would you ‘shop around’ ie GCRM or abroad. Appreciate any advice you can give.

Forgot to add we had 8 eggs collected previously, 7 mature and 4 fertilised, 2 transferred day 3 and other two didn’t make it. All in all apparently I responded well to treatment in RFC.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Martha1" (Mar 22nd 2018, 4:38pm)

Reg: Feb 19th 2011

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 5:24pm

Hi martha
Sorry to hear your treatment didn’t work. I had similar experience myself. Last year at rfc I had fresh transfer of two good embryos (none to freeze). I too had a positive test which ended up also being a chemical. I’ve had BFN’s, blighted ovum but nothing comes close to how I felt after the chemical. Like you I never thought such a thing could happen.

I never contemplated going privately with RFC. To be honest I don’t know why anyone would when there are other options. I went to GCRM and have found them to be excellent. No baby yet though and. I’m having another FET with them soon.

I did not consider going away as I have PCOS and have difficulty with getting the balance right with meds. I’m monitored v frequently therefore treatment abroad just wouldn’t be feasible.

I know dr A has prob went through all this but try to take the positives do to speak; you did get pregnant. It can happen.

Just my opinion xx

Martha1

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 5:36pm

My Time , Thank you so much for your reply . Just wondering did you find GCRM better during the process and if you don’t mine me asking what was your outcome with them ... how many eggs retrieved, Frosties etc. Again thank you , it’s such a confusing time. Dr Adacje was adamant the two places give the same treatment and care ?

Reg: Apr 15th 2014

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 8:10pm

Hi Martha,

It is a very difficult time and I am sure your head is spinning thinking about it. I only have had treatment at Rfc, so cannot really comment on treatment at gcrm and abroad. But like you I am planning my next cycle. But a few things to think about- have you looked at the access scheme at gcrm. I am not egilible as I am 40. Because of my age, the reality is most of my eggs are likely to be abnormal. Unfortunately I had an early miscarriage which was likely due to an abnormal embryo even though it looked perfect. Then a failed fet, which I have put down to the same. I have decided to go to a Czech
Clinic- as it is less expensive but also because if things work out and we get embryos- they use pgs, a genetic screening - to rule out abnormal embryos. Potentially you could end up with no normal embryos- but for me this would be better than a repeat negative results or miscarriage. This is recommended for women over 35, so I don’t know if it applies to you.

There is so much to consider- but a lot of it comes down with gut feeling. It is such a lottery- which makes it so difficult.

Good luck with your decision. Take care.

Lauren84

Reg: Dec 18th 2017

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 9:15pm

Martha Dr abadje works for both gcrm and rfc so thats why he probably isn' saying much. We went through gcrm for some private procedures and to be honest I was nt happy with them but that' just my personal experience... my friend went through them and thought they were great. I would go with which ever one is cheapest as u get the same treatments I feel either way. Good luck xx

Reg: Sep 21st 2017

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 10:03pm

Hi Martha. I'm sorry to hear you had a failed cycle. I have a similar story to you. My 1st cycle failed last weekend. I was wondering do you know how long it takes to get your review appointment if you don't go privately? If you don't mind me asking how much was it to get the review privately? Xx

Martha1

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, 10:18pm

Hi ladies I cannot thank you enough for your replies , it would seem I have a lot to think about. Maisemoo we went private because the NHS review was going to be 12-14 weeks . It cost 150 to be seen and if I had of needed a scan it would have been another 100 . Maisiemoo are you thinking of going again ... if so with RFC? Little Orchard I will definitely be googling my other options and weighing up what might be our next move . Lauren you have hit the nail on the head about the finances lol I wish we could win the lotto lol

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Martha1" (Mar 22nd 2018, 10:20pm)

Reg: Feb 19th 2011

Friday, March 23rd 2018, 9:30am

HI Martha,
With my first cycle with rfc my cycle was cancelled due to poor response. After that I then had to wait for review appt (3 weeks later). At this appt I was told prob best to loose weight (don’t know why I wouldn’t have been advised this before). Anyway 6 months later I then had next cycle. I had 14 eggs, 9 usable, 6 fertilised and 2 made it to 5 day transfer. So non to freeze.

Compared to GCRM. First cycle 16 collected, 9 usable/ fertilised. Advised to do freeze all. 6 frozen. Two transfers from that. BFN.
Cycle 2- icsi advised with eeva. 14 collected, 9 usable/fertilised. 1 fresh double transfer bfn. 3 frozen. Probably transfer in may.

Don’t get me work. Nurses and docs great in both clinics but GCRM just that bit better for everything else. At my review appt with consultant at GCRM I had questions about embryo quality and he got embryologist to talk me through everything, that chat lasted twenty minutes. Admin team are great. They have a good system.

As I say going abroad was never an option for me due to my unpredictable response to meds. RFC I never considered because i really did feel that there was not a very patient centred approach. Felt like just another number. But then again you might have had a different experience. I wish the best whatever u decide. It’s not an easy decision to make!

Reg: Sep 21st 2017

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 12:24pm

Thanks Martha. It seems so long until review appointment I may consider going privately. Yes definitely planning to have another go. More than likely go with RFC again. GCRM are a lot more expensive. Xx

Reg: Sep 27th 2016

Monday, March 26th 2018, 11:53pm

Hi martha, after my failed attempt last year I decided to go back to rfc for Private round, which I don’t regret. Second time worked but started bleeding just after 6 weeks and d and c at 9 weeks. It’s easy for people to compare amount of eggs retrieved (and embryos) to where they are having treatment but my experience is that every round is deferent- first we retrieved 10 eggs, second time 6, same clinic and we were pregnant with twins second time too. We are going to Prague for our third time and our decision for there came after research they can do tests on sperm that can’t be done here (male factor issues) and I know in my heart I have to try them. But I wouldn’t rule out further treatment in rfc, I thought were great (friend hd put me off gcrm)

Lyn

Ace

Reg: May 21st 2010

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 1:18pm

Hi Martha,
You will find so many differing views on RFC vs GCRM, so your prob best to have conversations with both @ go with your gut! I have no experience of treatment abroad but don't think it for me for a number of reasons - time away/work/hx of OHSS/childcare etc.
I have had a number of treatments (3 cycles IVF & ICSI & 5 embryo transfers) resulting in 3 bfn, 1 chemical pregnancy & most recently an ectopic pregnancy. My experience with RFC was that I felt like I was on a conver belt, just another number & not listened to, obviously that was my personal experience!! I have hx of OHSS and I had advised of having 27 eggs collected at a previous cycle, I was assured that they would keep a closer eye on me & adjust treatment accordingly but unfortunately that was not done & I went on to have 32 eggs collected. Some may say, sure that is great but unfortunately with having that volume of eggs the quality is greatly reduced. Saying that, I found the nurses to have been lovely & Dr A (although not seen during the treatment) to have been very helpful and informative at review.
My recent treatment was with GCRM and I felt treatment was well managed and the docs defo listened re my hx of OHSS and tailored my treatment accordingly, resulting in 15 eggs being collected and me having my first fresh transfer which unfortunately ended in an ectopic pregnancy and removal of my left tube!!! GCRM were very good throughout this time, ringing me every 2nd day for updates on how I was keeping and encouraging me to attend for second review following ectopic. Although saying all that I did have a couple of encounters with nurses who I thought were quite abrupt, bordering rude...which I thought was poor but then upon reflection we are all entitled to an off day... but as by hubbie says for the amount you pay you expect to be treated with courtesy at all times! In relation to all docs I encountered at GCRM... I could not fault any of them, it was obvious that they had read my notes prior to me coming in for scans etc and were aware of my hx and treatment which was something I felt lacked at RFC! GCRM are the more expensive option but we went with the access fertility payment scheme which although is a big lump some initially does work out to be much better value!!
Take time to explore your options as you need to go with what's best for you and your circumstance!
Wishing you every success in which ever option you choose! x
Lyn

'10&'12FET:BFN:
'13:BFP:
'15FET:BFP:m/c6wk
'17:BFP:m/c7wk
18:BFN:

Martha1

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 6:07pm

Hi Lynn

Thank you so much for your reply . I definitely have a lot to think about. I’m waiting on information from access fertility as the girl in GCRM said she couldn’t give me prices over the phone as it was a separate organisation and GCRM only offer the treatment service ?... could you pm me the prices ?

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE