Unread posts

Nigirl

• "Nigirl" started this thread

Reg: Feb 23rd 2018

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 2:07pm

New Northern Ireland Girl

Hi there,
I'm Linda, 35 from NI.
Had my Gp refer me to Gynae in August, im going for first initial appointment on Monday.......can anyone tell me what to expect from this first Gynae outpatient appointment please??? Is it just a chat or more??

Many thanks Linda

Jo31

Reg: Aug 30th 2017

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 6:56pm

Is it at grove well being?
At my first apt we filled in a few basic forms, I got a blood test and internal scan (not as unpleasant as I thought, a smear test is more uncomfortable) and then a swab for chlamydia. He explained the difference in IVF and ICSI and were told our review apt which is where you sign on the list would be 6/8 weeks. We are there for male factors and so we were told ICSI is what we need.
My first apt was August 31st and then we signed on the list on December 7th.

Nigirl

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:06pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.....No this appointment is in my local hospital outpatients clinic.....was just curious to know if I’ll be having any scans etc or will it be more of a talking consultation.....we’ve already had the hubbys s/a done and it’s not great to be honest but the GP has said to take the results to the Gynae appointment with me on Monday.....my hubbys GP told him to wait until this appointment and get her to refer us to the Fertility Clinic......sorry if I sound really silly with all this but it’s all new to me!!

Jo31

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:19pm

My husband and I have diffeeenf gps, I went to see mine in Jan last year and to start with the made me come in for blood test on day 21 of my cycle and then exactly a week later, they referred me to the fertility at my local hospital in Craigavon which was just for the AMH blood test, that’s the only thing they did with me, that apt didn’t come until June for me so in the mean time my husband had been referred for his tests and when his results came we were referred straight away to regional fertility clinic in Belfast, his results on the 3 factors are all low.
Yes, take all the results you have to your apt and get referred ASAP, it’s such a long process the waiting for this and the waiting for that, you need to be on the ball.

Jo31

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:35pm

That’s a long way of saying I only had a blood test at the first gynae apt and a chat

Nigirl

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:42pm

I attend Antrim Pre-pregnancy clinic every 4 months because I have diabetes type 2 and my thyroid is up the left as well......it was Dr Kennedy in Antrim referred me to the Gynae Dept back in August and this is me only getting an appointment now and that sounds like its only the start of the waiting!!!

Jo31

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:46pm

Get ready for the waiting, it was June I got the gynae apt, August 31st for first Belfast apt, then December 7th for to sign on the actual list which is your review apt. Now the list is around 10 months, so hoping to reach the top around October fingers crossed. Im the worst person at waiting but can’t afford private at the minute.

Jo31

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 7:48pm

It was my husband from his March appointments that got us referred to Belfast, so that was March to August, similar to you.

Nigirl

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 9:00pm

It’s absolutley awful!!! I keep thinking I’m 35 now and my clock is ticking....we can’t afford private at the moment either!! I absolutely hate waiting and so does the hubby!!

Jo31

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 9:07pm

I advise you now, when you get your first apt in Belfast they tell you it’s 6/8 weeks for the review, I waited nearly 4 months for this. What you can do is book a private review apt after the initial consultation and this will cut out a month or 2, or even more, the private review is around £200, I wish I had done this but didn’t know at the time.

Nigirl

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 9:12pm

Thanks for heads up, it’s good to know these things in advance......book the private review with belfast fertility clinic??

Jo31

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 9:14pm

No, they’ll give the number when you need it, it was Dr Abaje’s clinic, but when you get it that stage they will give you his phone number at the reception or you can ring and ask for it over the phone.

Nigirl

Friday, February 23rd 2018, 9:31pm

That’s great thanks for all your help.....

Joy2018

Reg: Feb 24th 2018

Saturday, February 24th 2018, 12:49am

Hi! Our experience was pretty much the same as Jo31. One SA was done before our 1st appt Aug, a second one was done after the 1st appt. You are sent off to the bathroom to do your own swab and both my husband and I had to give blood samples on the 1st appointment. 2nd appointment was Nov and treatments were explained in more detail. I didn’t have the internal scan until then. It doesn’t hurt at all. The paperwork at the 1st appointment is more of a legal formality. Don’t worry, you will be fine.

Jo31

Saturday, February 24th 2018, 11:02am

You’re a month ahead of me then Joy, are you IVF or ICSI?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Jo31" (Feb 24th 2018, 11:03am)

Reg: Mar 24th 2017

Saturday, February 24th 2018, 12:53pm

Like the others, my first appointment was results of hubbys semen analysis, blood tests for both of us and swab for me (done my self in the bathroom).
One tip i would say is to discuss all eventualities with your partner (possibility of ivf, ICSI, doner sperm etc) so you both know what you would do in those situations. We were gobsmacked when told we would have to do icsi and the Dr offered us to go away and think about it and my hubby wanted to do that. However, it meant another 3 month wait before we could go back and say we wanted to go ahead with it. Then hubby had to have a biopsy before we could get on the list. That's my one regret that we had to wait that long when we had decided what to do after a good discussion about it.
Good luck with your appointment x

Nigirl

Saturday, February 24th 2018, 6:12pm

Thanks Jo and Joy, much appreciated......I’m blind going into all this......xx
Thanks Janelle, it’s good to know these things before the appointment then as you say it saves a bit of time!! Xx

Jo31

Saturday, February 24th 2018, 6:30pm

I only found the forum the night before my first apt in August, it’s a great insight to dates/times/waits and everything, I almost depend on it, I’m on it looking more info all the time ......

Nigirl

Sunday, February 25th 2018, 12:04pm

No doubt I’ll be using this on my journey throughout....thanks xx

Nigirl

Monday, February 26th 2018, 10:44am

Just back from Gynae appointment, all went well.....lots of questions etc, no scans etc....showed consultant OH S/A and she referred us straight up to RFC - what happens now???? How long to first appointment etc????

Monday, February 26th 2018, 2:40pm

I didn't have a gynae appointment before being referred to the rfc, we were refered by our gp so not sure if it'll be the same but I think it took around 6-8 weeks to get the referral letter and then another 4 weeks or so until the appointment at the rfc. The waiting around is the worst part of the whole thing x

Nigirl

Monday, February 26th 2018, 3:24pm

I didn't have a gynae appointment before being referred to the rfc, we were refered by our gp so not sure if it'll be the same but I think it took around 6-8 weeks to get the referral letter and then another 4 weeks or so until the appointment at the rfc. The waiting around is the worst part of the whole thing x
Yea I’ve been reading a few posts on here and it’s looking like a very long road......I suppose the ball is in motion now and that’s always something!! Thanks xx

Jo31

Monday, February 26th 2018, 4:39pm

My husband was referred from gp and it was around 5 month wait, but you will prob get a letter in a few weeks saying you’ve been referred and you’ll be able to ring and ask how long the waiting list is running at for the 1st consultation.

Nigirl

Monday, February 26th 2018, 5:20pm

My husband was referred from gp and it was around 5 month wait, but you will prob get a letter in a few weeks saying you’ve been referred and you’ll be able to ring and ask how long the waiting list is running at for the 1st consultation.
Thanks jo, Yea it seems to a very long waiting game!! But all worth the wait I hope.....x

Gaz79

Monday, February 26th 2018, 10:26pm

Hi, we were referred via a gynae in Nov 16 and had our first appointment at the RFC in March 17. We were also referred on the basis of my SA.

You and your OH will have bloods taken at first RFC appointment the results of which will be given at your next appointment. These results are important to you both but there might be some explanation in there regarding your husbands SA result.

our 2nd appointment was really badly delayed and I wish we would have phoned earlier to see what was going on. Our blood results ended up showing a problem with me which is quite hard to overcome. (high level of fsh hormone).

Don't be afraid at any point to phone and ask where things are at. I think it's easy to get lost in the crowd.

Nigirl

Tuesday, February 27th 2018, 2:59pm

Hi, we were referred via a gynae in Nov 16 and had our first appointment at the RFC in March 17. We were also referred on the basis of my SA.

You and your OH will have bloods taken at first RFC appointment the results of which will be given at your next appointment. These results are important to you both but there might be some explanation in there regarding your husbands SA result.

our 2nd appointment was really badly delayed and I wish we would have phoned earlier to see what was going on. Our blood results ended up showing a problem with me which is quite hard to overcome. (high level of fsh hormone).

Don't be afraid at any point to phone and ask where things are at. I think it's easy to get lost in the crowd.
Thanks for the information....It’s good to know this as we are all new to this...so just the matter of waiting now!

Joy2018

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 8:19pm

Hi Nigirl. So sorry, new to posting. Think I was waiting for a message alert, lol. We are waiting for icsi. Think our experience has been quite similar to Jo. Although tough, try to relax at moment. I think maybe the referral was put in around May/June & appt was in Aug. Don’t try to preempt things. Keep a record of things as you go along I.e. dates, ask for results etc. Start taking your folic acid & vit d!!

Nigirl

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 3:43pm

Hi Nigirl. So sorry, new to posting. Think I was waiting for a message alert, lol. We are waiting for icsi. Think our experience has been quite similar to Jo. Although tough, try to relax at moment. I think maybe the referral was put in around May/June & appt was in Aug. Don’t try to preempt things. Keep a record of things as you go along I.e. dates, ask for results etc. Start taking your folic acid & vit d!!
Thanks Joy, I’m out walking the roads as my BMI is slightly over 35 so might aswel get it down before the appointment.....I’ve been on folic acid now for quite a wile also taking pregnacare tablets......so just the wait now lol...thanks for advice x

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 4:54pm

If you are trying to lose weight I'd highly recommend slimming world. Easy to stick to and maintain once you get the weight off. Plus it's approved by midwives for following during pregnancy. I lost almost 4 stone in just over a year on it and have kept most of it off for over 4 years x

Reg: Jul 23rd 2017

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 5:29pm

I second Slimming World. It's a healthy eating plan for life not just a diet. Although I need to take my own advice as I put on 1.5 stone during treatment.

Reg: Oct 12th 2017

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 5:38pm

Slimming world is working well for me too, I have lost 5kg from my first app when the nurse weighed me until my bloods app on Wednesday past. BMI down to 26 which I'm delighted with, nurse said something about how the less fat we have the better as the drugs cling to the fat something along those lines anyway. Good luck on your journey it definately was my foxus to loose some extra lbs xx

Joy2018

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 7:42pm

I go to Slimming World. As much as it is good for initially getting weight off, I think it jumps back on as soon as you waiver. The stress of work, life & fertility etc doesn’t help. I’ve told my consultant I’m going the scenic route, lol. Good luck to you all, all credit to you!! Wee tip for vitamins and supplements from gcrm, at the open night they recommended you take individual supplements i.e vit d on its own rather than a multi vitamin. More effective I think!! xx

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 8:01pm

I have actually been wondering about vitamins and what I should take. I also take the scenic route at slimming world.

Joy2018

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 10:04pm

Anniebell, the main ones we have been told about are folic acid and vit d (due to our poor sunlight). They talked about these in the gcrm presentation & I was also asked later if I was taking them. In general I take aloe vera capsules and vit c due to a sluggish digestion but I’ll stop if I’m told.

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Anniebell (02.03.2018)

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 10:56pm

I might try those just and some iron. I should be on Iron all the time anyway. I was taking Seven Sea's trying for a baby last cycle and am not sure about them anymore.