You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

djones

• "djones" started this thread

Reg: May 8th 2014

Monday, May 12th 2014, 8:52pm

not enough sperm to do a sperm test?!

Ok so my husband has a problem with the amount of sperm that comes out often nothing comes out!!! We went to urologist who said it might be the prostate ans gave 2 types of antibiotics. Once he took them all we had to do a test. They said that it's best if we collect the sperm with a special condom through intercourse. We did the business took it to the clinic and then 2 weeks!!! Later they phoned to say there was not enough sperm for them to test so he bas to do another one. Urgh! Is this even possible. When I looked :S at the sperm I thought it was enough amount to be tested. I mean it wasn't full but there was enough fluid. I don't know why I think that there is more than them telling us. Why take 2 weeks to inform us? ?o(

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Monday, May 12th 2014, 10:28pm

Hi
Did they say not enough sperm or not enough fluid? As there will be sperm in the ejaculate. My DH had a similar issue but he has absence of vas deferens that explains it - I am sure that won't be the issue for your DH as it's fairly unusual. My DHs first sample got rejected for the same reason - not enough to test. As for taking two weeks I'm afraid a lot of clinics take time to respond.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Tuesday, May 13th 2014, 9:03am

Hi

yes, you can have a completely normal semen level but have reduced or no sperm (my husband - but also in v unusual position of no vas deferens at all).

As for the two weeks to get your results....to be honest I am surprised it is that quick if it is NHS?

You mentioned prostrate issues - have they also checked for retrograde ejaculation, or is that the same thing??

Good luck

xx

Reg: Aug 18th 2013

Thursday, May 15th 2014, 6:10am

Yes, it is completely possible. Not finding sperm is always a possibility and can be emotionally devastating to men and their partners. Also Net has got some point. There is a lot of difference in low sperm count and low semen volume. Both have different consequences.

Low sperm count refers to “low sperm quantity and/or low sperm motility” means that there are not enough sperm to reach. There are many possibilities for this. Some sperms are malformed and make travelling problematic. Some men even suffer from blocked sperm ducts so that the sperm cannot travel at all.

Several factors can affect a man's sperm count. If the testicles are kept at too high of a temperature, for instance, sperm might not develop properly. Clothing that is too tight can sometimes cause a rise in the temperature of a man's testicles, especially if he exercises with this clothing on. Diet also plays an important role.

Normal semen volume is described as roughly 1 to 5 millilitres (ml) per ejaculation. In cases of low semen volume, there is not enough fluid to transport sperm into the female reproductive tract, causing fertility problems. When a low semen volume is found, male infertility patients are evaluated for: retrograde ejaculation, blockages in a seminal vesicle or ejaculatory duct, hormonal abnormalities and/or Mental Stress.

Talk to your clinic and try to get answers to your queries.
Good luck.

Edward.