You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 50 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "Miraclebaby" started this thread

Reg: Dec 16th 2007

Sunday, October 12th 2008, 2:22pm

Improving sperm quality - Diet, lifestyle and supplementary changes

Following our second failed attempt at ICSI, we've now been told that my DH's sperm had severely deteriorated between our first and second cycles. Please see my ivf diary below.

Miraclebaby's Diary

My DH has been referred to an urologist.

I have spent the last few days researching ways of improving sperm quality and we have now bought the supplements which I have listed below.

Our next cycle will be in March so we have time to implement the following changes. I have spent so many hours researching and wanted to put down my thoughts to hopefully help someone else who finds themselves in my shoes.

Summary of DH's new regime to improve his quality.

Supplements

I investigated the various supplements available, proxeed plus, Zita West's vitamen, spermamax and decided to buy our own individual and muliti-vitamins.

DH will be taking Holland and Barrets' Max selenium with A, C, E and zinc, and will also be taking the following individual supplements:

L Carnitine - 500mg to help stimulate sperm motility and count.

L-Arginine - 500mg to help improve motility

Zinc - 15mg - Most important for sperm production, deficiency may lower testosterone. Make sure you have copper with zinc and DH's multivitamin has 1mg of copper.

Selenium - 200mcg - Imporves sperm motility and testosterone

Coenzyme Q10 - 30mg - increases sperm count and motility

Vitamin E - 400iu - sperm motility and ability to penetrate egg.

Vitamin C - 1000mg - stops sperm from clumping

Vitamin B complex - 100mg each - Helps sperm count and motility esp vit B12. The B complex we bought also has folic acid which is important for men too.

Maca - 500mg -In clinical trials, subjects taking a derivative of the Peruvian Andes herb maca called gelatinized maca reported increas sexual desire of 180% and sperm count increase of 200%

Saw Palmetto - 1000mg - Increases sperm count and strengthens entire male reproductive system

Omega 3, 6 and 9

Lifestyle changes

Drink 2 litres of water daily

Drink less alcohol, in moderation, alcohol esp. red wine, will not affect sperm quality.

No smoking, DH is a non-smoker so he just has to avoid smoky places which is easy

Sleep more - 8 hours sleep helps replenish testosterone,

Ejaculate every 2 or 3 days, if not, then old sperm which deteriorates and affects quality of newer sperm.

Exercise regularly, esp, weights which increases testosterone. Avoid excessive exercise and cycling.

Avoid heat, hot tubs, saunas, electric blankets, after showering, spray cold water on testicles.

Check pants and trousers are not too tight.

Limit mobile phone use and avoid putting in front trouser pocket next to testicles.

Limit laptop as it heats testicles, get a laptop heat shield.

Limit caffeine although Brazillian study shows moderate caffeine do.es not affect fertility. Excessive caffeine, even where the woman does not drink coffee, can cause miscarriages, low birth weight etc.

Make kitchen microwave free.

Start accupuncture to remove blockages in flow of energy.

Get some sun daily, boosts testosterone and reduces level of melatonin which suppresses fertility.

Check weight is in healthy range.

Reduce chemicals, pesticides, weed killers etc.

DH will change his deodorant to an aluminum free natural crystal one available from Boots.

Diet changes

Cut out refined carbs, flour, sugar, chocolate, biscuits, sweets, cakes etc.

Eat good quality dark chocolate (70%) full of antioxidants if you must eat choc.

Drink green tea.

Drink 2 litres (yes worth repeating).

Eat food which focus on fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grain, fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, seeds.

Commit to eating nuts daily especially brazil nuts (selenium), pumpkin seeds (high in zinc and essential fatty acids), sunflower seeds.

Avoid sat. fat and hydrogenated fats e.g. magarine.

If you make one change in diet, eat organic food.

Increase antioxidants by eating more veg esp. artichoke and broccoli.

Eat more beans esp. kidney bean and pinto beans.

Eat nuts esp. brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecan nuts and walnuts.

Eat grain esp. sorgham.

Eat fruits esp. cranberreis, blueberries, blackberries, red and green apples
Dark choc and red wine have antioxidants

Vit E - oily fish(tuna, sardine, mackerel, salmon, sesame seeds, olive oil), nuts and seeds, wheat germ, wholegrain, eggs, green leafy veg.

Selenium - brazil nuts, wheatgerm, oat, garlic, onions, barley butter, smoked herring, brown rice, avocado, shell fish, tuna, wholegrains.

Vit C, citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, strawberries, black currants, red pepper, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, melon, mango, watercress.

Zinc - meat, fish, chicken, eggs, pumpkin seed, sunflower seeds, wholegrain, beans, pulses, ginger root.

Arginine - nuts esp, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, beans, lentils, fish.

Carnitine - beef, pork, lamb, dairy products.

Vit B12 - meat, fish esp trout, salmon, sardines, eggs, cheese esp edam cheese.

Folic acids - green leafy veg, beans, lentils, asparagus, oatmeal, dried figs, avocado

Other good stuff which DH will not be taking as we think we have enough:

Flaxseed oil
L-lysine
Evening primrose oil
Bee pollen rich in vitamins, mineral and amino acids
Royal jelly - better than bee pollen
Lycopene tablets or get lycopene from cooked tomatoes
Calcium - sperm motility and function but no evidence it improves fertility
Pyconogenol - natural antioxidant, DH's mulitvitamin has some
SAMe - increases sperm activity
DHA - same as onega tablet which Dh will be taking
NAC

Herbs
Horney goat weed - male aphrodisiac, increases sperm count and density
Ho Shu Wu - boosts sperm count and prevents grey hair!

Good luck all.
xx
TTC 13 yrs; Me: 44
1-4 ICSI: BFN
5 - 8 Dr Gorgy
4. IMSI Immune Dr Gorgy:bio BFP
6 PICSI Dr G BFN
7 FET Dr G 8/13: failed BFP
8 PICSI 2014 BFN
9th - Me, myself and I. Serum hysteroscopy with implantation cuts Oct 2017; Serum FET Nov/Dec 2017? I'm now on my own following shock divorce. Keeping positive that I finally get my Miraclebaby.

The end of this journey shall justify the pains. I must win this fight

Diary

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Miraclebaby" (Oct 12th 2008, 2:46pm)

Reg: Aug 28th 2007

Children: One due in Jan, 10.

Sunday, October 12th 2008, 4:02pm

RE: Improving sperm quality - Diet, lifestyle and supplementary changes

Wow thats extensive. I think many people will appreciate the effort you have put into this thread. Good luck and hope his next SA shows better results. I have bought Wellman's capsule for DH and he has started taking it. My Dh main demand was to get him something in one capsule.

So it has got selenium 150 mcg with A, C, D, E and zinc.
It has got
L Carnitine but not 500mg only 30 mg
L-Arginine but again not 500mg but 20 mg.
Zinc - 15mg
Copper - 1 mg
Coenzyme Q10 - but not 30mg only 2 mg.
Vitamin E - 20 mg.
Vitamin C - not 1000mg but 60mg

It has the various Vitamin B's and folic acid.
In addition it has, Bioflavonoids, Siberian Ginseng, Methionine, Silicon, Chromium, Manganese and Iron and iodine.

From where do you buy Maca, Saw Palmetto and
Omega 3, 6 and 9? Do you buy fish oil one?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "rightans" (Oct 12th 2008, 4:03pm)

Sunday, October 12th 2008, 4:30pm

Where to buy supplements for sperm quality improvement

Hi all,

Rightans, thanks so much sweetie. It took a long time to gather and I'm happy someone appreciates the effort.

Good luck to you and your DH too. I guess we just have to try everything don't we? With omega, I got a capsule that has all. Check out the Holland and Barrett's website.

I was concerned about DH having to take a whole bunch of pills and offered him the option of proxeed or Zita West but he wants to try everything and is willing to do all he can. I am so proud of him. Even something like vitamin c, he is willing to take two tabs of 500mg each which worked out much cheaper than one tab of 1000mg. Bless him.

Below is where we bought the stuff from. Some are also sale items so you may need to buy sooner than later if interested:

Holland and Barrett

Big tip is to order online http://hollandandbarrett.com/ The biggest tip of the day is to register with https://www.quidco.com/ as you get 15% cash back! I got back £11.76 from the stuff I bought for Dh and myself.

Holland and Barrett B - 100 (Vitamin B Complex) Timed Release, @ £3.49 Each

Holland and Barrett Natural Vitamin E Capsules with Selenium, @ £4.24 Each

Holland and Barrett Omega 3-6-9 Capsules, Quantity £2.49 Each

GNC.co.uk

Big tip, order from their website and not from their shops as significantly much more expensive buying from their shops. I called for price quotes from my local shop before I ordered and was shocked how expensive the same stuff were.

Precision Engineered L-Carnitine (500mg) £10.91

L-Arginine Capsules (500mg) £3.99

Healthydirect.com

The biggest tip of the day is to register with https://www.quidco.com/ as you get 25% cash back! I got back a whooping £27.34 from stuff we bought.

Zinc 15mg (360 tablets) £4.99
Maca 500mg (180 tablets) £9.99
Saw Palmetto 1,000mg (360 tablets) £13.99
Co Q10 30mg (180 capsules) £17.99
Selenium 100mcg + Vitamins A, C & E (180 tablets)£2.74
Vitamin C 500mg + Citrus Bioflavonoids (360 tabs) £10.99

Good luck everyone.

xx
5 - 8 Dr Gorgy
6 PICSI Dr G BFN
8 PICSI 2014 BFN
9th - Me, myself and I. Serum hysteroscopy with implantation cuts Oct 2017; Serum FET Nov/Dec 2017? I'm now on my own following shock divorce. Keeping positive that I finally get my Miraclebaby.

Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Miraclebaby" (Oct 12th 2008, 4:33pm)

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Children: my fur baby shawnee and my beautiful daughter C born Dec 2010

Sunday, October 12th 2008, 4:53pm

Hi Miraclebaby and Rightans

My DH and I are doing something similar with the vitamins - after our last BFN i did some research and started my DH on some high strength vitamins and when we went for our follow up last week our consultant recommended that we keep taking them (i think my DH was hoping he would say it was rubbish and he didnt need too :snigger: ) and we are going to have repeat SA in January to see if there has been any improvement
TTC for 7 years (MFI and Immune problems)
6 ICSI's so far all BFN
Cycle with Immune treatment in Nottingham - :BFP:

Ellie's PG Diary

Sunday, October 12th 2008, 4:58pm

Aww, good luck Ellie. It looks like we might be cycle buddies in March. Do you want to post what your DH is taking so we can all keep comparing notes?

I feel sorry for the poor guys having to take all these stuff but I guess we have to put our bodies through hell too, so only fair to try out everything.

Take care
x
5 - 8 Dr Gorgy
6 PICSI Dr G BFN
8 PICSI 2014 BFN

Diary

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 50 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE