• United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 3rd 2012

Children: Hopefully one day

What's Up?
Gutted

Saturday, January 12th 2013, 2:11pm

Embryoscope at CARE Manchester

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to share some information regarding the use of the embryoscope at CARE Manchester that I hope some of you will find useful if you are considering incorporating this into your treatment.

We were told that the embryoscope allows for the collection of time lapse photography/video footage that provides the clinic with additional information about how the embryos are developing - time in each phase, cell cleavage, etc. - that can be used to better determine which embryos are most likely to go on to be viable pregnancies. Given this, we agreed to the use of the embryoscope and paid the additional £750. However, after EC, we received no information about the embryoscope in terms of what extra information this technology had provided to them. I even asked an embryologist specifically what she had gleaned and she said "not much".

I felt a bit deflated by this - another £750 in the bin - but didn't think too much more about it until I was sent a feedback form about the embryoscope. Given that they had asked, I provided some topline feedback where I said I felt a little disappointed that there had been no apparent benefit or additional information provided by the embryoscope. I subsequently received an email from them where they advised that they are using the footage collected to build up a library of information that will help them to identify viable embryos and select which are best to be transferred. In other words, the footage we have paid for will help them with their research, and possible embryo selection in the future, but provides no direct benefit to our treatment cycle.

I've sent them an email response, outlining why I feel this is not only misleading but is also unethical since my personal view of this is that they are essentially asking patients to fund their research without the patient gaining any benefit. I've not received any response back yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this on FZ in case it helps anybody in a similar situation to us decide on what they want to do. I'm not saying that I'm right and they are wrong; just that if we had known in advance that the information gleaned from the embryoscope would facilitate their research rather than providing any direct information/benefit towards our treatment cycle, we probably would not have paid for it.

The other thing to note, should you go ahead with the embryoscope, is that £750 is not the full cost. If you want your embryos to be observed beyond day 3, they charge an extra £375 for days 4-5.

Connie

Me and DH: 39. TTC since Dec 2007 - unexplained infertility. Started IVF Aug 2011: 6 failed cycles (4 fresh, 2 FET); 3 blastos on ice

MY DIARY

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Saturday, January 12th 2013, 8:30pm

Hi hun

We refused this part of tx even though it was a bit pressurised to agree (Mark Sadler). I knew that our response would be a poor one so why bother looking in when we've only ever had 2 embies to transfer.

The other thing with the embryo scope is you need to have ICSI (or so we were told). Which again is an expense and one we didn't require anyway. That made me a little cross too.

Glad you took it on yourself to query them further & get a full explanation!

Xxx

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

• "Constance72" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 3rd 2012

Children: Hopefully one day

What's Up?
Gutted

Sunday, January 13th 2013, 9:31am

hi chatterbox,

It was mark sedler who gave us the hard sell on this too! We'd already pushed back on genetic screening and felt pressure to concede on this. He also added icsi to our plan/bill and I had it removed but only cos a queried it - that would have been another cost he"d have happily taken. Like you, we don't need icsi and I felt strongly that changing aspects of the treatment for no reason other than care's financial gain was wrong. I already feel a bit cheated that he switched me to a long protocol and it's been the worst cycle I've had, but that's another story...

Anyway, thanks for posting - it makes me cross that care are doing this and I hope our posts may help other ladies push back on persuasive and strong characters like sedler!

C xx

Me and DH: 39. TTC since Dec 2007 - unexplained infertility. Started IVF Aug 2011: 6 failed cycles (4 fresh, 2 FET); 3 blastos on ice

MY DIARY

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Monday, January 14th 2013, 5:13pm

Hey there. :)

It makes me chuckle coz he tried to put me on long protocol too. Until our previous consultant Mr Patel returned from sick.

He obviously didn't criticise Mr Sadler but very quickly changed our protocol back! I've never responded well to long protocol.

I was just annoyed that Mr Sadler didn't seem to have listened to us at all. Grrrr.

Hope all goes well :goodluck:

Xxx

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13