You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Tinydancer" started this thread

Reg: Apr 21st 2012

Children: DD and DS, now ICSI due to secondary infertility

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 9:11pm

Low AMH - short or long protocol?

Does a low AMH test generally mean that a short protocol is used?
I've just had a surprising 'very low' AMH result (2.1) following a higher day 3 FSH result.
We were advised to go for ICSI by the doctor when we found out DP's SA was very poor.
Not due to return to the clinic till next week, but from what I have read on the Internet, the short protocol seems to be used more with a low AMH result, Is that right? I assume it also means an increase in drugs for increased stimulation of failing ovaries?
Can anyone who has had ICSI after a low AMH confirm this?
Cheers,
TD xx
1st ICSI: Oct 2012
Me: Low AMH (2.12) and high FSH
DP: Oligoasthenoteratospermia
26/10/12 EC: 3 mature eggs, 1 fertilised
29/10/12 ET: Grade 3, 10 cell embie
12/11/12 - BFN :-(

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 5:31pm

Hi Tindydancer and welcome to :FZ:
yes short protocol is used more often with older ladies or with ladies with a low amh level, having said that they may still go for the long protocol and aim for quality rather than quantityl. With a low amh it's not always worth it to increase the drugs too much as your ovarian reserve is low, so you may find that you'll start of with the same amount of drugs you had the first.
You will have to wait and see what your doctor has decided that is right for you.
Good luck.

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 5:51pm

I have low AMH and had the short protocol. I produced fewer eggs, but they were generally better quality. They put me on the same dose of drugs I was on with long protocol, but then slowly upped the dose and gave me another drug menopur at the end to get things moving more. So with me I got the quantity with long protocol and quality with short. Everyone is different, so your Dr will advise. They might easily put you on long protocol to see what happens. Generally with low AMH it is common to not have so many eggs, but I did! 16 on long protocol and 12 on short. Whatever they do will be in your best interests and taking into consideration all of your issues. Just thought i'd share my experiences. Wishing you the best of luck! xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 1:45pm

I have slightly low AMH for my age and was offerred the short protocol. I got fewer eggs (5 in total) but they were of good quality. 4 of them fertilised and they all got to blasto stage.

I didn't get to try the long protocol but I would say that the short protocol seemed a lot easier drug wise and the treatment time was so much quicker compared to other ladies on the long protocol at the same time as me.

I hope your appointment goes well next week and that you get to start treatment soon.

Me:30
DH:38
TTC since 2008
6xClomid 2010 :BFN:
3xIUI 2011 :BFN:
1st IVF Feb 2012 :BFP: Identical twins :boy: :boy: born 23/10/12

My Diary

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE