You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "ShellyinPNG" started this thread

Reg: Jun 13th 2012

Wednesday, June 13th 2012, 5:16am

Appendicitis, ovarian cyst, whacky cycles...and now this!

Hi everyone! This is my first post, apart form my introduction post.

Hubby and I have been blessed with two little girls, Penelope 5yo and Abigail 4yo. Both easily conceived naturally. We've been TTC No 3 since I had my Mirena removed in November 2010.

After three miscarriages, we decided to look at IVF, mainly because of my age (I'm 41). As we live in Papua New Guinea, our closest clinic is over an hour flight away in Cairns, Australia. Suits us as we are Australian so get government funded healthcare. But the logistics are a nightmare!

I was all set to start my preliminary testing when I needed an emergency appendectomy. They removed my inflamed appendix and also found an ovarian cyst, which I'm sure the doctor said was a normal cyst to do with ovulation.

Anyway, as a result of the surgery, my cycles have been out for the first time EVER! I'm usually a "it's Tuesday afternoon, time for a period!" type of girl. After the surgery at the end of April, I had a 20 day cycle. It's now 39 days later and I'm STILL waiting for my period. As I can't start the IVF testing until my period starts, i decided to visit the OB/GYN up here to get a blood HCG test and ultrasound.

I just saw him a couple of hours ago. Well, it turns out I'm not pregnant but I have a 21mm follicle! He said that means I'll ovulate any time in the next 12-24 hours. Does this sound right? I've had some spotting yesterday (a couple of red spots/streaky mucous then nothing) and the same again today. I did a OPK which showed no LH surge. Unfortunately, that was my last test and I can't buy them up here! Any feedback would be much appreciated!

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 6th 2009

Children: 14 yr old DD & 14 month old DS

Friday, June 15th 2012, 8:11pm

Hi Shelly, I'm afraid I do not have any answers but I was having a browse through the Forum and didn't want to just read and run. I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles, hopefully the by the time this has been written, your body has decided to play ball and you have finally burst that big ol follie :S and ovulated xfingers
I can only suggest keeping an eye on your body's own signs (your CM, temp etc) and if no Af in 14/15 days time,I'd nip back to the Dr's and ask His/Her's advice. Our body's can certainly play tricks on us when we are least expecting it, and after the surgery on your Ovary your hormones are probably having to find a new way of doing things,hopefully this is a one off and you can get back to a normal routine really soon. Do have a look round the forum though and see if anyone else has had anything similar, there is usually loads of info just lurking, waiting to be read :thumbup:
Good Luck
Blue xx

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Friday, June 15th 2012, 9:24pm

Hi Shelly. You have described the classic signs of ovulation, including the spotting. The ovulation kit detects the lh surge not ovulation itself. The lh surge happens 24-36 hours before ovulation. Also It's easy to miss the surge. If your doctor has said you're about to ovulate, then have sex!
Good luck.

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 3:51am

Thanks girls! Just to clarify, the cyst at the time of my surgery didn't require any action, the doctor merely commented it was there and said that I was most likely ovulating. Coincidentally, I had used an OPK the day before which was positive. I'm thinking it may have been a follicle that they saw.

Well, I managed to drag my husband to bed, kicking and screaming (yeah, right! ;) ). Today, however, I have had medium flow. Or at least it was this morning. So confusing!

I can't contact my FS in Australia until Monday. I have sent the obs I saw last week a text message so hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

*sigh* I wish I knew what was going on with my body.

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 6:29am

After oparations your body takes a while to recover so don't worry.
Take care

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 16th 2011

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 1:02pm

I had an operation to remove a cyst, it took my body around 3 months to get back to it's normal cycle, I'm sure it's normal, but check with your doctor I guess, one of those rubbish situations where the more you stress the more likely your cycles are to be effected!!

TTC 7 years
Me: 28, endometriosis and hydrosalphinx
DH: 30, All's well

2011: Laparotomy to remove endo cysts
2012: 2 x IVF :BFN: :BFN:
2014: IVF number 3 in Cairo, :pray:

Monday, June 18th 2012, 4:40am

Just a quick update. I went to see my local obs (not the FS). He did an ultrasound and said the folliclular cyst is completely gone and that I was having a "good" period. Hubby and I had decided to wait another cycle before doing any testing. So the obs suggested I try clomid for this cycle along with a HCG injection mid cycle. We decided there is nothing to lose so are going for it! Day 2 and so far, so good.