You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "lizzy dripping" started this thread

Reg: Aug 12th 2009

Children: Boy, girl, twin boys

Saturday, May 19th 2012, 3:27pm

Consultant completely stressed me out!

Hi ladies, hope you can help :). In 2009 I had a successful short protocol using 150 of menopur for 4 days, then in combination with cetrotide for a further 6days. I got moderate ohss despite the short protocol but retrieved 9 eggs, and had twins in 2010.

Last year aged 38, I had a scan and saw that I still had lots of antral follicles - 15one side 24 the other. This month aged just 39 I was started again on a short protocol with menopur 150 daily and today is day 5 (I will take my fifth dose tonight, and start the cetrotide).

Because I have a tendency to over respond, they called me in for an early scan today ( should have been tomorrow, but clinic is closed Sunday). Normally women are scanned day 7 I was scanned day 5. On scan one ovary has a 10mm follie, plus 11 less than 10, and the other has a 13mm follie plus 13 less than 10. I had a blood test too to check my baseline hormones.
All looked ok and my ovaries are beginning to respond. Then I get a call. Doc says to up the menopur to 225 and start cetrotide! I queried this because I am scared to over stim. I reminded nurse that I am still only day 5 and earl on in the treatment. She said it was based on my blood work not being overly high!?! She went back to doc and asked him again, reminding him about it being early and my previous reaction to the regimen. He comes back and says ok then keep it at 150, we'll scan again on Monday and up it then if necessary!!

Now I'm stressing. Never meant to second guess the doc, but wondered if he hadnt realised it was still early. Given that he so easily changed his mind is this likely? Would,he have reduced thedose so easily if my my response was looking really rubbish? I am totally confused and of course cant ask any more questions til Monday now - cue crappy weekend :-(

I just wondered if any of you more experienced ladies could shed some light on all this. I am so worried about over stimming, but now scared that I'll not respond enough given I'm 3yrs older and it might not be the same this time. I am really annoyed the doc swung back and forth like this with little explanation!

I guess that most women only get the chance to change their dose on day 7 anyway because that is typically the first day of monitoring. Is day 7 too late to up the dose if I am not responding adequately, given that in a short protocol you only have 10days of stimming anyway? Any thoughts would be most welcome, I know so little about all this xxxxxxxx
I

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, May 19th 2012, 3:57pm

Hi Lizzy,
You do sound stressed out. Day 7 on short protocol is not too late for increasing the dose, so don't worry about that.
The doctor probably didn't want to worry you so he kept the dose low after you remained them about overstimulation. You had a a scan on day 5 to check for over stimulation. If your bloods and follies are low at your next scan they will increase the dose. There isn't a standard length for stimming on the short protocol, if you need to stimulate for 12 days, you will.
Now try and relax and good luck for the next scan.
Take care babydust

• "lizzy dripping" started this thread

Reg: Aug 12th 2009

Children: Boy, girl, twin boys

Saturday, May 19th 2012, 4:09pm

Bless you Maria, you have just made me feel sooooo much better :hugs: I am a worrier, and drive myself mad in the process!

Is it likely then that my blood lh was low because it is only day 5 and the doc hadn't factored that in fully? Is there some kind of threshold you're supposed to reach even by day 5 to determine that you are responding adequately?

I wasn't scanned or tested before day 7 last time so didn't have this issue. I didn't realise you could stim indefinitely on a shorter protocol, I am learning so muc through this process.

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply xx
I

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, May 19th 2012, 5:19pm

You're welcome Lizzy. It is stressful, I know. Take care.

Reg: May 30th 2010

Saturday, May 19th 2012, 8:36pm

Hi Lizzy,

I second Maria please don't worry I don't have time to write long but Maria said it all good thing that you did not let yourself overstimulate good luck xx Rianon

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE