You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "rosa21" started this thread

Reg: May 15th 2012

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 5:07pm

Need an IVF/work cover story

IVF/work cover storyMy situation is a bit unusual. My husband and I run a small company, and employ a group of friends in an office in our house. They know that we've been trying to get pregnant, but don't know that we're starting IVF. I don't want them looking at me expectantly every time I come back from an appointment, and would rather keep it quiet until there is some good news to share.
I'm not sure how to explain my husband's, and my, absence from the office during collection/transfer. The timing of them is going to coincide with an important time at work, when we would never usually take time off, so they will think it's strange if we skive off.
I can't feign flu or anything because they will be in the house with me, and will see me when I make a cup of tea etc.
I think I need to fake a minor op, or something that would leave me convalescing for about a week, but I can't think of anything. And it needs to be a last-ish minute admission that my husband would have to accompany me to.
Does anyone have any good ideas for a cover story please?
Rosa

Me 38 rubbish cycles, very low amh
DH 39 rubbish sperm

Ist ICSI 6/12 - abandoned :-(
2nd ICSI 10/12 - BFN :-(
3rd ICSI 1/13 - BFN :-(
4th FET 3/13 abandoned :-(
5th FET 5/13 - BFN :-(
Taking a break over the summer

Reg: Aug 3rd 2012

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 6:14pm

Hi Rosa,

Why dont you tell them that you had to go in to have an investigation op. Most people wouldnt be so rude to ask why. My friend went in to hospital to have dye put in her tubes to find out why she wasnt getting pregant. so if they did ask, maybe you could use something along them lines.

Hope it helps

1st IVF in Feb 2012 = :BFP: but sadly a MMC @ 9.5 weeks :sniff:
2nd IVF in Sep 2012 = :BFP: M/C @ 6 wks.... :tears:
Can i take any more??? time for a break
NK Cell tested in April 2013 - Normal : D
3rd IVF in July 2013 - nervous but very excited

:xxx3:

Reg: Apr 21st 2012

Children: DD and DS, now ICSI due to secondary infertility

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 10:58pm

What about just saying its a gynaecological procedure? Most people won't dig further when gynaecology is mentioned....and if they do, you can say you'd rather not talk about it. And that way, you're not really telling fibs either as it is a sort of gynaecological procedure.....
I'm going to have to do the same with my work as the gossip/rumour mill is rife, so that's going to be my cover story when I take the time off!! I don't really even want to tell my boss as he's slightly loose lipped!
Good luck xx
1st ICSI: Oct 2012
Me: Low AMH (2.12) and high FSH
DP: Oligoasthenoteratospermia
26/10/12 EC: 3 mature eggs, 1 fertilised
29/10/12 ET: Grade 3, 10 cell embie
12/11/12 - BFN :-(

• "rosa21" started this thread

Reg: May 15th 2012

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 11:10am

Thanks guys. Even though I could trust them not to tell anyone else, I don't really want to tell anyone at all yet as I think that it will be really hard having to report back to them if it doesn't work.
I wish the office wasn't in my house, then I would just work from my sick bed and pretend I had flu or a stomach bug or something.
It's not just the time off for the collection/transfer - but also the recovery time afterwards.
And then after that they'll all be wondering why I've stopped helping to carry all the heavy boxes.
All this deception - it's so tricky!
Rosa

Me 38 rubbish cycles, very low amh
DH 39 rubbish sperm

Ist ICSI 6/12 - abandoned :-(
2nd ICSI 10/12 - BFN :-(
3rd ICSI 1/13 - BFN :-(
4th FET 3/13 abandoned :-(
5th FET 5/13 - BFN :-(
Taking a break over the summer

Wardie

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 5th 2010

Children: 1 Beautiful Daughter & 1 Gorgeous Son

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 11:38am

Hi Rosa

When I was doing my first IVF cycle in April/May 2011 I was only in a temping position so didn't want them to know what I was doing in case it lead to a full time permenant position so I just said I had to have a minor gynae operation. No one asked any questions and then I could get away with not lifting the heavy boxes etc.

Wishing you lots of luck xxxx

Reg: Mar 16th 2011

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 2:33pm

I did the same thing at work, as I had to be off for 4 weeks, and there was no way I wanted people to know why (my bosses did though). I said I was having a minor op (and didn't go into details but just said it was a girly thing). Everyone accepted that and no one even pried and asked what it was. If they know you're trying to get pregnant they will probably figure it out to be honest, and when it works they will remember! But it really doesn't matter. And it's not a lie, as egg collection is an operation as far as I'm concerned! Good luck :)

x

Me 35, DH 37 [zx151]
2 x ICSI :BFN:
1 x FET :BFN:
Nov 11 - 3rd ICSI (Immunology Cycle) :BFP: Please stay with us :pray:

Jewels' Journey - My Diary