You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "pennyqueen" started this thread

Reg: Nov 20th 2008

Children: Fingers crossed x

Friday, December 9th 2011, 10:51pm

Uterine NK Cell testing - how important is it?

Hi Ladies,

Following my last cycle I now know I have no option but to look at immunology.

At my review at my local clinic my cons recommended the Spire Hospital in Liverpool who as well as Chicago tests are also doing uterine NK (uNK) cells tests.

I was planning on going to Care (already had a consultation), but do'nt believe they do uNK testing.

Do any of you ladies have a view as to how important this is? I'm still new to immunology & havent come across this test before, but I could have just missed it!

Also is anyone having immunology at Spire? Any feedback? I did have a look at the clinic feedback thread but couldn't see any specifics on immunology. I'm from the north east so would need to travel regardless - just want to go to the best clinic really. I guess I'd like to know if they are new to the field or if they are as experienced as Care.

Any feedback would be appreciate,

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Never give up on your dreams...they do come true.
ICSI #8, Anna born 26/2/14....the most amazing gift in the world x

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Friday, December 9th 2011, 10:58pm

They can be as important as the other. If you also have other immune problems, than the same drugs will treat the uterine no cells. However if all your immune tests come back as normal and you don't do the uterine nk cells test then you may still risking a m/c or implantation failure. They can test it during an hysteroscopy.

The entire reproductive immunology is experimental and a bit controversial and not recommended by NHS clinics as it is not 'proven' with scientific trials.
Good luck.

Reg: Nov 26th 2009

Children: none as yet! HOPING 2012 WILL BE OUR YEAR

Saturday, December 10th 2011, 1:37am

Hi hun I had all the level 1 and 2 immune tests done in June and I have low progestrone and NK levels are 39% when they should be 30% or less. NK cells are important as if they are to high and not treated your body will treat the embryo as a virus and kill it off. They can be treated with intrelipids and steroids I so glad I got them tested. I had them done at CARE manchester they do them there and had treatment both there and CARE sheffield where they also do immunology treatment.
Good luck hun xxxxx

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
ME 34 ( couple of immune issues Inc low progestrone)
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT
2 x ICSI 2010/2011 = BFN's :bawl:
Icsi no.3 with immune meds nov 2011 = BFN! :bawl:
Round no.4 FET March 2012

Sunday, December 11th 2011, 10:34pm

Hi Maria, Mistykins,

Thanks for your feedback.

Can I ask if they test uNK cells as routine - just they weren't mentioned at all during our consultation at Care. Just logically thinking I'd asume they were more important that the blood NK cells levels given thats where the embryo will hopefully implant - or at leasts thats my logice :snigger:

Have both of you ladies had a hysteroscopy - or is this only normally done once the level 2 results are back?

I'm trying to decide between Liverpool Spire and Care Nottingham. Care didn't mention it, but Spire seem to do it as standard?

Do you know if the uNK cell test is new as I dont remember reading about it so far!

Thanks for any feedback.

Reg: Nov 26th 2009

Children: none as yet! HOPING 2012 WILL BE OUR YEAR

Sunday, December 11th 2011, 10:56pm

NK cells aren't tested as part of your treatment plan if that what you mean. NK cells are only tested as part of the full immunology testing levels 1 and 2 I think they come under the level 2 Chicago tests. The NHS used to do level one testing for free at your GP but in manchester and Doncaster they wouldnt do it anymore.
I personally haven't had the hestrocopy test done but had other scans etc in past and they can't find any reason to do that test our problem is male count and my NK cells and low progestrone. Have you researched both clinics to check out their results to compare, not heard much about spite Liverpool but heard rave reviews about CARE Nottingham and I have used 2 of the CARE clinics and will be staying with them.
Hope this helps a little hun anything else feel free to ask will answer if we can xxxx

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
ME 34 ( couple of immune issues Inc low progestrone)
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT
2 x ICSI 2010/2011 = BFN's :bawl:
Icsi no.3 with immune meds nov 2011 = BFN! :bawl:
Round no.4 FET March 2012

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, December 12th 2011, 7:08pm

NK cells are tested with blood tests, however some clinics like to also test uterine nk cells as well with a biopsy. They do that when you have the hysteroscopy.
There is a theory that says that are those high uterine nk cells that cause m/c or stop implantation, and my understanding is that they are different ones from the blood tests. Your blood nk cells may come up as normal or only slightly elevated, but then your unk cells might be too high, that's why some clinics like to tests them too. Other (like my clinic) feel that if they are giving you all the tx for the immune you don't need to have them done too.
I have had the hysteroscopy as there are studies which say that it actually helps implantation and the lining, and also to have my uterus checked out.

Care had a good reputation, but really you should go with the clinic that you prefer.
Take care

Monday, December 12th 2011, 10:31pm

Thanks again both for your replies.

Misykins- I've had all level 1 and some level 2 tests done, just need to get the last few (which includes the NK cells) done. I was just confused when Spire said they did the uNK cell test as standard and Care didn't. I guess Maria - like you said, if they are treating one NK issue, they in theory will be testing them all.

I also haven't heard alot about Spire - I guess they must be new to the immunology field.

I think I'll stick with Care as they seem to be leaders (well after Zita and ARG!) - something to look forward to after xmas once I've lost the weight from my last txt!

No doubt I'll be be back here then with more questions - thanks again ladies & xmas45