You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "DNAspecalist" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2010

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 9:21pm

sperm DNA damage

Recenty, it has been scientifically proved that sperm DNA damage is the main factor for male infertility. Any one have tried DNA tests?

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, October 21st 2010, 11:21pm

Hi,

I would agree that DNA problems are certainly a factor in the causation of subfertility in some men. However I would doubt whether it could be referred to as the main factor. Lack of sperm and low sperm numbers are far more often the cause of sub- and in-fertility, and of delays in achieving a pregnancy.

The problem with DNA testing is that the normal ranges for these parameters are still yet to be determined with any scientific reliability in the population as a whole ; and whilst the results may indicate an increased number of sperm containing abnormal DNA or chromosomal problems, there will still remain a percentage of sperm with normal DNA such that a pregnancy remains possible. The results of these investigations therefore, and the information derived from them, has limited validity and predictability in the clinical arena, and may not help a couple in deciding their future route to a pregnancy, nor clarify the optimum treatment for them to explore.

As a scientist I fully believe that all information is of value somewhere and at sometime, but some of this is of more of value than others, and that information with an indeterminate value can confuse and distract/detract from a more pertinant view of the full clinical picture for the couple. But I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise!

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Paul Entwistle" (Oct 21st 2010, 11:26pm)

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Friday, October 22nd 2010, 8:48am

My DH has sperm DNA test and fragmentation test too.
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Reg: Jul 16th 2011

Children: 2 - fantastic sons, we are so very lucky!

Monday, November 7th 2011, 10:40am

Even in "normal" fertile men the actual number of sperm with no abnormalities is surprisingly low i.e 14-15% (Strict) normal forms is a pass with 85% being double headed, triple tailed crippled.WHO stats allow for 60-70% abnormal forms and 30% normal.

Better off finding out why morphology is messed up - ROS / Free radical damage whilst sperm matures in the testis / epididymis , lifestyle (smoking/drinking/drugs/medication), Heat damage, Environment i.e work with chemical agents that may have an effect, or excessive heat may be cause.

Research into this is continuing but nothing conclusive found as a single cause for morphology issues.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Demon1x" (Nov 7th 2011, 10:44am)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE