You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "keep the faith" started this thread

Reg: Jun 20th 2011

Children: is the question, 'soon' is the answer (fingers crossed)

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 8:22pm

How will I feel after EC, and how long will the procedure take?

Hi All,

I'm due to have EC at St Marys hospital on Tuesday and would like to know how you felt afterwards.
I have to travel a long long way to the hospital and have been getting train and taxi to and from home to hospital. I'm just wondering if I would feel ok to do this after EC or should I be arranging for some one to pick me up?
We have to be at the hospital no later then 7.30 on Tuesday morning. How long do you think I will be in there before they let me leave?

xx
PCOS
DH Perfect (his opinion, not mine)
A laparscopy has shown tubal damage.
Ovarian drilling :BFN:
Prescribed Clomid 50mg for 18 months :BFN:
3x IUI 2 with clomid one with Menopur :BFN:
Currently taking Metformin 1500mg
xfingers ET Blasto Feb 2012 At Care Manchester

MY DIARY

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 8:33pm

Hi keepthefaith,
It's best if someone picks you up as the sedation or anaesthetic will make you tired and a bit spaced out. someone should be with you for 24 hours after e/c. You definitively should not be taking the train on your own.
If you get there at 7.30 you may be out by lunch, but it depends. My first ec I went in at 7 and left at 4 pm cos dh couldn't be with me till then and I had general anaesthetic. They like to see you eat and have a wee before they let you go home. If you feel sick or anything like that they make you stay longer. Also you may be in pain or bleed a bit. It's normal.
Good luck xfingers

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 8:56pm

Hi keep the faith, when I had ec I had a general anaesthetic. I arrived at 7.30 and left by lunch time. They keep you for an hour or so afterwards. Once you've eaten something and had a wee they let you home. I would definatly get someone to take you home though. I had af type cramps after ec, but doesnt last long. Good luck xxx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 9:00pm

I agree with the posts above, I did not find EC too much if a problem, the sedation I had meant I was aware of what was happening, but only just! I have been quite sore afterwards though for about 24 hours so bear this in mind. Good luck

Me - 36 DH - 48. TTC since 2008
March/April 2013 Immune DE ICSI Gennet, Prague :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] :girl: :girl:
Diagnosed with severe pre eclampsia at 23 weeks :(
Babies born by emergency c-section at 24 weeks on 30th August 2013, One beautiful little angel passed away shortly after birth. Sleep tight sweetheart x :heart:
My Diary

Reg: Oct 19th 2009

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 9:12pm

Hello,

As we had a similar number of follies and they got 28 eggs from me which is probably what they will get from you, I do warn you you may feel pretty sore unfortunately, I had a sedation so was asleep but felt very sore after for about 2-3 days, it wasn't really pain just very uncomfortable, I had to lie on the sofa the rest of the day and the day after, went back to work on day 3 though, we went in for 8am and out about 1:30

I would recommend someone coming to pick you up

Xx
Anna
2nd ICIS Jan 2011 :BFP:

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 9:38pm

Thanks ladies...

That's my fate sealed... I will try and arrange a lift. If its any thing like ovarian drilling then I wont be fit for much.
Anna, I'm so hoping I follow your footsteps completely. 28 eggs is amazing. have you got lots on ice? I am feeling very positive about it all at the moment.. may be too much so. Just hoping i'm not heading for a fall and shatter these hopes and dreams. Were you convinced it was going to work for you? I think i need to remain in this frame of mind... Mum always told me with positive thoughts comes positive results xfingers

Thanks again and good luck with all your journeys xx
PCOS

MY DIARY

Reg: Nov 26th 2009

Children: none as yet! HOPING 2012 WILL BE OUR YEAR

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 10:12pm

I had general anestethic both times was in at 8am and home for 11.30ish. Felt great after first one but was very uncomfortable and bloated second time round. It varies as you can see, don't worry Hun you will be fine drink plenty of water after EC everyday to help with bloating and risk of hyper stimulation good luck lovely xxxxx

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
ME 34 ( couple of immune issues Inc low progestrone)
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT
2 x ICSI 2010/2011 = BFN's :bawl:
Icsi no.3 with immune meds nov 2011 = BFN! :bawl:
Round no.4 FET March 2012

Reg: Apr 12th 2008

Sunday, October 23rd 2011, 12:26pm

Hi KTF

Like you I travelled far to the clinic. I decided not to be sedated as I don't like feeling out of it! The two clinics I went to were great and supported this decision. I did this 5 times. It was a little uncomfortable but I had local anaesthetic.

I appreciate this isn't for everyone. I am a fairly calm person who likes to be in control so didn't like the idea of being asleep. Also it's great as during the procedure they yell from the lab: "1", "2", "3" ... As they identify each egg :)

Just wanted to let you know alternatives do exist. I didn't like the idea of a long journey home not feeling well.

Good luck for Tuesday!
6 cycles all BFN.
One last immune cycle - July 2011
06/12 - :girl:

Baby Isobel arrived on 16/04. Life is complete :hugs:

Reg: Sep 10th 2010

What's Up?
Tired but happy!

Sunday, October 23rd 2011, 5:17pm

Hi!
I thought I'd share too! Like Misty I was fine the first time, not so good the second. So the first time I took the week off work expecting the worst and was fine, so second time I went to work the next day, totally daft, i was a zombie that day and didn't really get very far!
If you are sedated or under ga it can be sore after, and definitely take a pad with you just in case, you do need to be taken home as it is a surgical procedure like any other, you need someone to look after you that day, however good you might feel.
My other handy hint is take some food and something to drink with you, that way you have something you like when you wake and don't have to rely on the hospital providing you something edible (esp if it's NHS!)
Unlike Devchick I really didn't want to be awake! I think hearing them count them out would have freaked me out! Ah we are all different!
Good luck!
[zx102]

IUI Nov 09 BFN ..... 1st ICSI Oct 10 BFP m/c 8weeks ;( ..... 2nd ICSI June 11 [zx076] [zx076]
MY DIARY

Valentine's day twins 2012
And a surprise DS 27/1/15

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Tuesday, October 25th 2011, 2:28pm

EC was fine for me

Hiya,

I found EC completely fine, no pain etc at all. But then I had very few eggs, so maybe that's why. They won't let you go until they feel you're okay and they won't let you catch a train etc. My DH was given STRICT instructions to bring the car round from the car park to the pick up bays, and I was literally walked to the door.

Don't worry about it too much hun, it was way-way-way easier than I was expecting...

Good luck, and babydust, Sarah
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Tuesday, October 25th 2011, 5:08pm

Thanks for all your advice lovely's

Procedure has been done... Not quite to plan but happy with results (so far). I surprisingly made it to the train station :snigger: , over all it has been a 12 hour affair. Off to update my diary now.

Thanks again xx
PCOS

MY DIARY

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE