You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "pennyqueen" started this thread

Reg: Nov 20th 2008

Children: Fingers crossed x

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 1:59pm

Suppliments - completely confused :-(

Hi Ladies,

I wonder if anyone can put my mind at rest.

I'm on round 6 of ICSI having had 2 BFN & 3 chemical BFP's.

I visited Care nottingham thinking immunology seemed the next logical step for us, but after a disappointing consultation there I came away more confused than ever. Anyway, we're trying again without immunology but increased progesterone as it's thought that may be the cause of the chemical BFP's (althogh immunology issues are in the back of my mind)

Anyway, the reason for the post is a quandry over suppliments.

I've previously taken spirulina as a source of protein and have recently started taking Royal jelly.

However I've read Spirulina has high levels of vitamin A. I also read Royal Jelly helps protect against infections & increases resistance to diseases.
So - given the chance that there could be some immunology issues there - would anyone recommend taking any of these? ?(

I know you shouldn't take vitamins willy nilly...but I'd appreciate the opinion of any of you ladies who've been down the immunology route. In addition to the 'standard 'meds, were there any other that you were advised to take and I can make enquiries with my cons?

Thanks
PQ x
Never give up on your dreams...they do come true.
ICSI #8, Anna born 26/2/14....the most amazing gift in the world x

Reg: Feb 26th 2010

Children: A beautiful son

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 4:20pm

Hi Pennyqueen,

I can't answer your question about Royal Jelly or Spirulina, but I have read loads on alternative therapies for various immune system issues.

I had tests done with Dr Gorgy, that showed a raised cytokine ratio, that could be resulting in my embryos failing to implant, or like you stop progressing early on. I then went on line to the university website where he sent my bloods to, and read up about natural therapies that may help. I found an artice on there that recommended amongst other things Omega 3, Resveratrol and pine bark. I decided to try the natural route first, by taking Omega 3. I bought Nutrasea Omega 3, about 1000mg a day, rather than cod liver oil as it too has high vitamin A. I also bought Zita West Vita fem boost as it contains both Resveratrol and pine bark.

Did you have any tests for immune issues?

xxx

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 6:37pm

Hi penny queen. Once you start stimming you should only take folic acid or a good pregnancy multivitamins with pregnancy omegaga 3 (pregnacare for example). If you want to take other stuff you need to ask you clinic as these herbs/supplements can be powerful and can also have adverse effects.
As far as your immunity goes, just follow a healthy diet with lots of slean proteins. I was told to avoid citrus fruits and tomatoes, but I went to a nutritionist rather than guess and take random stuff. I would avoid immune support supplements like royal jelly too, but again that is what is good for me.
Just keep it all healthy and simple, you don't actually need to take anything but folic acid.
Take care and god luck.
:xxx:

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 10:13pm

Hi Easter Eggs, thanks for your response.

I've had level one done and they all came back fine. I've also had some level 2 done, but Nottingham did say that there were a few more I need.

I''ll be on a higher and longer dose of prendisilone this time and was told that milk is a natual immunosuppresant- so I'm suffering a pint a day at the minute. I haven't been advised to take anything else, so thanks for sharing your discovery. I'm taking mum omega (3 & 6) and pregnacare conception - but there's no mention of Resveratrol or pine bark. Guess I'll have a little look on zita site :) Out of curiosity what university site was it - I may have a little look on there too..

Maria, thanks also for your feedback. I guess a healthy diet should be enough, but I just want to be sure I've done all I can this time. Interesting about the citrus fruit and tomatoes - do you have any idea what it is in them that causes the issue? I'll be knowckingthem of the menu going forward!

Thanks ladies, hope you've both had a lovely weekend x

Reg: Apr 12th 2008

Monday, September 26th 2011, 4:51am

Hi Pennyqueen

While I was mid-cycle Femibion came out. George said this was a really good pregnancy vitamin with some extra bits to help absorb it. Previously I was taking pregnacare, high dose folic acid, high dose b6 and b12. Femibion replaced all of this.

The only other supplement I took was Melatonin but this also was recommended by George.

I am really sad to see people are having confusing consultations at Care now George has left. It is really unfair as when you will have made the decision to go there he was still around.

One other bit of advise. I don't like milk too much either - but I love chocolate milk! :snigger: I order Hershey's syrup from the States but you can get some flavourings from Tescos too.

Not long to go now for you! So exciting :happy:
6 cycles all BFN.
One last immune cycle - July 2011
06/12 - :girl:

Baby Isobel arrived on 16/04. Life is complete :hugs:

Reg: Feb 26th 2010

Children: A beautiful son

Monday, September 26th 2011, 7:59pm

Hi Pennyqueen,

It was Rosalind Franklin University. But I would say, I checked there as they did my immune tests, and I was reading about things to help my rasied Cytokine ratio..

xxx

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, September 26th 2011, 8:49pm

Maria, thanks also for your feedback. I guess a healthy diet should be enough, but I just want to be sure I've done all I can this time. Interesting about the citrus fruit and tomatoes - do you have any idea what it is in them that causes the issue? I'll be knowckingthem of the menu going forward!

Penny queen the diet advice was for me, you may need to do something else, so please don't cut stuff from your diet unnecessarily. Also about the supplements, the problem is that you may not be doing any good by taking random stuff. What is good for some people may be useless to you. I'm not saying don't take any supplements but have someone qualified to advise you so that you do all you can properly. Even something as simple as the right dose of the right supplement can help. You want to take the right supplements at the right time in the right amounts.
Stuffing yourself with supplements that you may not even need is not going to do your health any good. Even too many vitamins can be unhealthy, so please ask your clinic or contact someone who can help. Check on the zita west website. They do give nutritional consultation. Check it out.
Take care and look after yourself.

Monday, September 26th 2011, 10:43pm

Hi Ladies,

Thanks again for your feedback.

Please don't worry, I wont go randonly taking anything you've mentioned, but I do appreciate your concern and appreciate the possible risks of doing so.
I asked because I'm not always convinced Consultants necessarily volunteer all the information all of the time. I guess they are only human and may forget!

By canvasing your opinion I can go armed with some more questions at my next consultation where I can ask his opinion and take a view. Without you advice I'd be none the wiser, but at least it gives me a starting point to double check I've got all angles covered!

So much appreciated, thanks x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "pennyqueen" (Sep 26th 2011, 10:54pm)

Monday, September 26th 2011, 10:49pm

P.s Devchick - thanks for the advice on milk. I've been making mine onto a banana milkshake - but I think if I have to continue much longer I'll begin to look like one!! Off to look up Herseys syrup as I type..sound yum :snigger:

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, September 27th 2011, 5:52pm

You can aslo make fruits milshakes: lots of strawbeeries, milk and ( a bit..) of cream and sugar... Yum yum!

Wednesday, September 28th 2011, 8:33pm

Oh that sounds nice too Maria - any variation on banana has got to be good! Thanks for the tip x