You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "Demon1x" started this thread

Reg: Jul 16th 2011

Children: 2 - fantastic sons, we are so very lucky!

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 8:50am

Cycling bad for sperm production - how bad?

Can someone quantify roughly how much cycling would be bad in terms of effect on sperm production?

I like to cycle on and off road - 3-4 times a week average 15-20 miles per session as I find it a more enjoyable pursuit than being in a sport center filled with posing gym bunnies.

My worry is that I already have a low count and low morphology according to results of 2x SA's and cycling may be adding to my fertility woes?

Should I stop or reduce the amount of cycling whilst TTC? Are there any cyclist out there who've been told to stop whilst undergoing fertility treatment.

Reg: Mar 18th 2010

Children: Little one on the way....so excited long awaited!

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 9:27am

Hi Demon, harsh isn't it they tell you to have a healthy lifestyle with exercise yet I too hear cycling is a no go area. Not sure if that's to do with impact or heat.... I dont even know if moderation is ok. I banned my dh as he has low count and motility - shame as now he needs to get fit some other way!
Hope you get the answers u need.
Me34 DH40
MF LC/Poor MOT
Sept 2010/Apr11 - 2 x icsi -BFN
FET Sep11- 3 No Thaw
Dr Gorgy Jun12 :BFP:
bab22 Evan born 25/01/13 perfect baby7

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 10:05am

Hi Demon,

This is a popular topic amongst my cycling buddies (all men) and the general consensus is that recreational cycling isn't a problem whereas training for the Tour on a racing saddle or hammering it down a black trail every day for several years might be heading in that direction. The research out there (that showed declines) has been done on elites, not your average Joe on a bike.

I assume you have a mountain bike which you use for road too? Why not find a touring saddle and stick to the roads for now, no bumps or knocks in that area and less pressure from a hard saddle may lessen your worries. You could even get some loose fitting shorts with padding rather than normal skin shorts.

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 12:38pm

Bells, thank you for the informed answer.

I would say yes - definitely a recreational cyclist rather than Lance Armstrong.

Have an xc bike and a downhill / free ride bike - both saddles have love grooves which are supposed to prevent overheating or pressure damage to my "crown jewels". SDG bel air saddles are comfy and not too big- whereas a wide touring saddle would chafe and cause overheating imho.

I do wear padded shorts for comfort under mtb baggies but they are light and designed to ventilate, may reduce amount I cycle and see if spem count improves as 4+ times a week may be excessive. (Though I do cool testicles in cool shower twice a day), will mention to consultant next time I have an appointment.

tis a bugger tho as it's my preferred form of exercise :bawl:

was considering getting a road bike - may hang fire until ttc works...

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 2:55pm

info for fellow cyclists with male factor worries!!

Following article sheds some light on the to cycle or not dilemma, would only appear to have a large detrimental affect on long distance endurance cyclists...

Health: Does Cycling Make You Infertile? - BikeRadar

So for those of us not competing in the tour de fance etc or hammering down the alps al la mega-avalanche stylee we should be ok, though anatomically correct / love groove saddle will help to prevent damage to your testicles.

For reducing affect of heat from exercise - a cool shower should help minimise thermal affect on your gonads (need to confirm if this is helps)