You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "here's hoping!!!" started this thread

Reg: Oct 6th 2010

Monday, July 25th 2011, 7:39pm

Has anyone been a foster carer & then gone on to have a birth child ... Info needed please :0)

Hello ,

I'm a foster carer of 2 little girls aged 2&3yrs. Both girls are due to leave in Sep/Oct for adoption. I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant with my 4th baby (1st since being a foster carer)

Today my link worker has informed me that when the girls leave I will be required to take the usual 6-9 months maternity leave. This is to give me a rest before the birth & time to bond with my baby which I understand. The thing is I don't want to, I am self employed so not entitled to SMP so in effect I will be with out an income for 6-9months. I will excpet 2-4 weeks off as unpaid holiday ( as I don't get paid for breaks) but I don't feel the need for such a long time off. My local authority have never dealt with a pregnant carer before so are guessing on how to deal with the situation.

They have said that if I can give them evidence on how other carers or authorities have dealt with this situation differently they will review their decision.

So my question is have any of you fostered & then gone on to have a baby of your own? How long did you take off? Was this compulsary or off your own back?

Hope someone can share their experince with me. Thanks Krissy xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Monday, July 25th 2011, 11:03pm

Hi Krissy

Sorry I can't advise you about the fostering side of things but even though you are not entiteled to SMP as you are self employed, you may be entitled to Maternity Allowance or ESA. I have pasted in below the information held on Direct Gov about the rules for this. Sorry if you are already aware but thought I would mention it just in case.....here is the info...

Who is eligible?
You might get Maternity Allowance if:

•you're employed, but not eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay
•you're registered self-employed and paying Class 2 National Insurance contributions (NICs), or hold a Small Earnings Exception certificate
•you have very recently been employed or self-employed
You may be eligible if:

•you've been employed and/or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in your 'test period' (66 weeks up to and including the week before the week your baby is due) - part weeks count as full weeks
•you earned £30 a week averaged over any 13 weeks in your test period
Earnings from your employment and earnings you are treated as having if you are self-employed are used to work out your Maternity Allowance. More information about this can be found in the leaflet 'A Guide to Maternity Benefits - NI17A'

A Guide to Maternity Benefits - NI17A Opens new windowIf you don't qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance, you may be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) instead. If you have made a claim for Maternity Allowance you do not have to make a separate claim for ESA. Jobcentre Plus will automatically check to see if you can get ESA.

• "here's hoping!!!" started this thread

Reg: Oct 6th 2010

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:19am

Thank you xxxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE