You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "kiwimaya" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 8:03pm

Morphology advice - bit stressed by telephone from clinic

Hi

I'm 5 days into stims on a long protocol for IVF. Going for a scan tomorrow to see if follies have grown. EC and ET planned for next week if all well.

Yesterday afternoon my DP got a phone call from the clinic to say that he needs to do a repeat sperm analysis as the last one we did was in January and that they need to check something as may need ISCI this cycle. This has not been discussed with us before, despite consultation on 16/6 and another appointment and our cancelled cycle in March/April '11.

I rang clinic this morning and asked to speak to the Consultant about what the call was all about and also to say that we're not going to be able to pass the abstinence test for the analysis. No BD for about 7 days. DP and I had briefly discuss going for it last night but I felt awful from the drugs and both too stressed out that it didn't happen.

Consultant said that it is all about DP's morphology. When we had our first and successful IVF cycle in '08 was just about 8 but now the test from January has it at 6.6. Clinic recommends ISCI for those coming in under 8. She also said, after referring to someone else at the clinic, the abstinence test doesn't matter so much for testing morphology so they want to go ahead for testing on Friday and from that result we can make a decision about whether to go for IVF or ISCI. Aaaarrrghghgh! The plan had been, which the clinic had known, was for me to come up for the scan without DP as he's struggling for time off work. No plan for DP to need to do another SA.

To be honest I'm a bit peeved but not letting the clinic know. Have been managing this cycle relatively stress free and now this has really upset and confused me and stressed DP. I hate having to figure out what the best thing to do is, thinking that making the wrong choice will jinx things and also thinking that getting annoyed at the clinic (even quietly annoyed) will jinx things.

Does anyone have any advice on going for ISCI with that level? What did you do? Any advice on the abstinence issue? My heads going to explode!

Many thanks

Kiwimaya

Reg: Apr 12th 2010

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 9:43pm

My clinic don't consider morphology to be a big issue in Isolation. if the count and motility is good they would do ivf with that morph, I think.

Assuming you are self funding and the price has some bearing on the decision (?) I have heard of treatment with half Ivf and half icsi when the morph is in question

Agree its poor of them to leave it so late and handle the call this way :cuddle
Laura
Miracle baby #2 on board, due 5th April 2011

Friday, July 15th 2011, 1:41pm

Thanks lollygirl.
We've had our appointment today and another SA and been advised by consultant to go for ICSI. Fortunately can just about afford the extra. I think we've decided to take the path of least resistance and go with what they suggest. I think if we didn't and it didn't work we'd always wonder if that was why. Trying to get back to going with the flow now.

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Friday, July 15th 2011, 9:59pm

Does anyone have any advice on going for ISCI with that level? What did you do? Any advice on the abstinence issue? My heads going to explode!

This Unit clearly has no idea how stressful is IVF, and how much worse they are making this stress by springing this decision on you now, when they have known for six months that this needs to be sorted out. In fact there is very little difference in fertility between 6.8% and 8% sperm normal morphology, and especially when these sperm are already known to be fertile. As they obviously realise, all sperm values can vary greatly from day to day let alone from month to month 0therwise that would not be repeating now in the hope that it is going to be higher. Had they arranged another semen test in February, this could well have been back to 8 or even higher, and the problem would have been solved.

I would not agree that morphology is not affected by the length of abstention time. The longer the sperm sit around in the genital tract awaiting ejaculation, the more is their morphology damaged. Frequent ejaculation helps to keep sperm at their best. So it is better to have an abstention time less rather than more than 7 days.

You could make more of a protest about their bad organisation, and you could insist on having straight IVF rather than ICSI, but the more you try to take control, the more this might upset the staff, plus if you followed your own intuition rather than their advice and you were not successful, as you have said, you would always wonder whether their way might have been better. So you have no choice other than to go along with what they want. Is there anyway that your husband could do his specimen at home before he leaves for work, or in his lunchtime, and you then take it straight over to the unit?

Good luck with whatever you have to do.
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 7:04pm

Cheers for the thoughtful response Paul. You've hit the nail on the head about springing this decision on us. Its interesting to read what you say re percentages, abstinence and morphology. If we have another cycle then I will be bearing this all in mind however this time round we don't feel we've had long enough to get our heads around the issue so have plumped for ICSI.

When this cycle is over we will be tactfully raising the positive and negative experiences from this cycle. We don't want to upset the staff (we have our DS to thank the clinic for) but I just feel they're missing a few tricks which if they sorted would make the experience at the clinic much better. There's a couple of things including some communication issues between staff during and between appointments which has been a little annoying and has knocked our confidence.

Kind regards

Kiwimaya

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE