You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sweetnatalie" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 27th 2009

Children: Hopefully!

What's Up?
Cautious BFP :)

Monday, June 6th 2011, 9:14pm

UK or Abroad???

HI all

I was wondering if anyone could advise (as best anyone can i guess!) I am about to start on the bumpy road of a new cycle anytime soon and was wondering about clinics.
My last cycle was funded with our local hospital and Bourne Hall Clinic. The NHS part was not the best experience with a very cold doctor but the staff at Bourne were very nice. The clinic is about 2 hour Journey from us. I am looking in to getting some Immunology tests done before we do the next treatment but when all this is done can anyone give me any good reviews of clinics abroad????
I read on one of the forum posts about a clinic in Prague that had really good reviews an i think i read that the whole treament cost was £3599 including flights and accomodation etc.

I have no idea how much Bourne charge as yet as we are just starting out. but i thought the £3599 was a very good price. But is is like Lidl? where you pay for what you get??

As much as i think a lot lies on the clinic it is all such a game of luck really, i think i believe a lot of the time if its going to work it will!.

So to me its also very much about the patient care that is important.

Does anyone have any views? they would be must appreciated

Many thanks
Me 42 DH 43

2 x Natural :BFP: resulting in M/c
1 x IVF (NHS) :BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
1 x FET (NHS) :BFN:

Sept 11 (Norway) 2 Embies on board (12 on ice) :BFP: MC at 5 weeks!!
Jan 2012: FET 1:BFP: MC + Ectopic?? at 6 weeks
Jul 2012: FET 2:BFN:
Sept 2012 FET3:BFN:
Nov 2012 FET4:BFP: - No heart beat at 8 weeks gutted. our Ivf journey is over!!

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, June 6th 2011, 9:28pm

Hey

Am only on my phone so can't reply properly, didn't want to ignore your post though. Will pen something proper tomorrow when I have my lap top on.

Love Gracie

x x

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

• United Kingdom

What's Up?

Tuesday, June 7th 2011, 7:13am

Hi Gracie

Many thanks. There are so many choices now and such variations in prices i guess!

Just a bit about me, i am 41 DH 41. We had our first cycle of IVf (could have been ICSI - like i said wasnt told anything!) in December 09 got a BFP 2 days before my 40th bday in feb 2010 and then started bleeding on my 40th whilst on holiday! so not the best time but expected it anyway so i was ok with it. Had out Frostie put back in June 10 and since then have just lived a little and not thought about any treatment. So now im wanting to start again and make sure we get more information and better care then we did at the local hospital.

When i read someone had gone abroad and they only had too go over for the consultation and then back for a week to have the EC and ET sounded quite nice. Just not sure if i would be more worried flying? et

Anyway thanks for any advice x
Me 42 DH 43

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, June 7th 2011, 9:25am

Hi Natalie

Sorry to hear of your loss, a very similar thing happened to me so I understand how you feel.

The reason I went abroad is because I needed donor eggs and I wasn't prepared to wait for them in the UK (my consultant even recommended I go to Spain) and I also prefer their attitude and the fact that the donors there are anonymous.

There are lots of good clinics out there, I know Prague is fairly popular as is Greece with Spain probably being the top of the list.

You would probably need to travel out for an initial consultation and then back for the week of treatment, but be aware that you may well also need to line up a clinic in the UK for scans in between times. Make sure that the price you have been quoted includes drugs as this may not always be the case.

It may well be cheaper to travel abroad but it's not always the case - my treatment cost me 10K Euros so certainly not cheaper! You need to take into account the cost of travel and accommodation too.

My biggest piece of advise though is do as much research as you can, make sure you know what you are getting for your money and that you are 100% happy with the clinic you end up dealing with. Going abroad does add a great deal of stress to the situation and remember you are still going to put yourself through a fairly serious medical procedure. Sorry for sounding so serious but it's easy to forget what you are actually putting yourself through and you need to make sure you look after yourself properly.

I wouldn't worry too much about flying after ET, I came home the day after mine and it was fine - the result is currently sitting in her high chair making a lot of mess!

If I can answer any other questions please just ask and I'll do my best to help. :goodluck: with whatever you decide and keep us posted.

Love Gracie

xxxxx

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

• United Kingdom

What's Up?

Tuesday, June 7th 2011, 6:37pm

Hi Gracie

Thank you so much for you lovely answer. Made me smile reading that your little one was in her highchair!! its always lovely to hear happy results.
I think my first step is going to be a doctors appointment this week to see if i can get my first to get the first immunology tests, then see about the second lot. Whilst waiting for these i am spending every spare minutes researching clinics etc. Its so hard as there are so many choices.

When i had my last treatment i didnt and still dont know anything. Our doctor handed us a sheet of paper about the process and that was about it. I always thought the less i know the less i will worry. So didnt take too much in. I will now read as much as i can!

Its where to start thats also hard, you type in clinics and get a few thousand come up!!!

I wil probably spend a few weeks reading the forums! :thanx:

Thanks again for everything
Me 42 DH 43