You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Lightning" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 23rd 2011

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 2:24pm

Hi all, been referred for IVF PGD

I typed out a huge post then it came up with an error so wouldnt post, but at least saves you from reading all the rubbish I wrote lol.

I have introduced myself on the main board but I thought I would introduce myself personally here :-)

I am 28 my husband is 42 we have been TTC since August 2008 with 3MMC's and 2CP's. We found out after RM tests that I have a balanced translocation of 7 and 9 and geneticist has referred me to Glasgow Royal for IVF PGD. I have been searching on the net for info on the procedure but I cant find much other than description of how it works - no detail on what WE have to go through and drugs and how things work etc so hoping to get some info here.

I have been told waiting time is 18 months so will I not hear from them until then or will I have consultations before then?

Thanks,

Elaine :-)

Reg: Feb 9th 2009

Children: One precious little son born 2/2/10

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 5:09pm

Hi Elaine welcome to PGD family. Feel free to join us on the main PGD chatter. My DH and I had been trying for over 2 years and I had a mc after being on fertility drugs for 6 months. I have PCOS and when we were refered to the royal we knew nothing of my DH's translocation until he had routine blood tests. He has a translocation of 3 and 9. We had ICSI with PGD two years ago and now have a 13 month old. We are currently going through it again and my test date is 28th March. As for the procedure it is different for everyone as we are all individuals but the format is mostly the same. When they have done your bloods and your probes are ready and everything is in place for PGD you will be given an injection to shut down your ovaries so that they can take over your cycle. You will then have an internal scan and bloods about 3 weeks after to ensure that your lining is thin enough. Then you will start your daily injections and after about 8 days you will have another internal scan and bloods. They will then decide when you will be ready for EC. You will at some time have a booster which is about 36hrs prior to EC. After EC your eggs will be injected with the spermand they will wait to see how many fertilise. Once fertilised they then biopsy them and will only put back any embryos with normal genes. This is all emotional but you will get there. At the Royal it is Helen who is in charge of PGD so you will probably have a meeting with her before anything happens. The staff at the royal are all wonderful.
Please feel free to ask any questions you like and me or someone else will do our best to answer it. I hope that I haven't given you too much info.

Christine xx

Keep happy and healthy xxx

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 7:43pm

Hi Christine that is really helpful information thank you so much for sharing.

Wishing you all the best for test date, everything crossed for you

Elaine x

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 11:13pm

Hey ladies, I've been brooding on this all day (no idea why today as I seen the geneticist and was told I was being referred 2 months ago). I have almost a year and a half to wait to start treatment, and thats after trying for 3 years and having 5 losses already, and theres nothing to say the treatment will work first time either. I really dont know how much more I can take and I dont know how I am going to get through the next 16 months. Geneticist told me I can keep trying naturally which I am doing but then I will have the worry of will I MC, if so when will I MC.

Its just such a horrible journey and I know a lot of women are worse off than me but this is really killing me, I wish we could afford to go private :-(

Hope you are all doing ok

Elaine xx

Reg: Oct 26th 2009

Children: None yet, hopefully soon

Tuesday, April 5th 2011, 5:51pm

Hi Elaine

sorry been meaning to post here for ages but forgot! Welcome to PGD pages, sorry you have to go down this road. I am in a similar position, had 6 losses in all, and have a balanced translocation of 5 and 8. Its awful, and we've had a long wait to get to this point. We had the same advice to keep trying, but it does get to a point where you need to take a step back after so many mc's (at least I did). Felt like my mental health was suffering, and I was quite depressed. I decided to stop trying for a wee while, and felt better. Unfortunately the wait for treatment is part of the process, even though at times you feel you are cracking up! We have one more try, then its going to be private. We cant really afford it but will try to scrape money from somewhere.. Christine was comprehensive up there in the previous post, but feel free to ask if you have nay other questions. Why dont you join the board on the chatter, thats where everyone tends to hang out!

Best of luck with the treatment :goodluck:

Mon xx
Mon77

:xxx3:

5x m/c all before 10 weeks :angel2:
IVF with PGD Feb '11 24/2/11 :BFP: 3/3/11 early miscarriage :angel2:
Waiting NHS tx 2

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, April 6th 2011, 9:57pm

Hi Elaine,

Can't help any more than the others just wanted to say hello. :-)

x Rianon

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 12:53pm

Hi Elaine, I just wanted to say hello too. Sorry I am a bit late seeing your post but Christine has given you lots of info. I'm glad you've found us here so you can ask any questions you like. I know it's a long wait but it will be worth it in the end, fingers crossed. There are lots of PGD success stories on here to give you a boost :)
x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

• United Kingdom

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 7:23pm

Hiya thanks for your replies :D
I posted in PGD chatter that I have dates in a few weeks for blood work, semen analysis then consultation so I feel like we are getting somewhere yay!! Any idea how long it will take from inital consultation to start of treatment?
Thanks
xx

Reg: Oct 26th 2009

Children: None yet, hopefully soon

Monday, April 11th 2011, 11:21am

Hi Elaine

I am trying to think how long it took... We had initial appointment with pgd consultant at glasgow in may 2009, and had eggs collected October 2010. Unfortunately its a slow process, and we kept trying in the meantime. Your age is on your side, 28 is very young so you should have a good long time left to keep trying. I think the wait very much depends on how many people they have on list, and it varies too, depending on cancellations etc. We have one more NHS try left and then we are looking into private. When I asked at appointment last time about private options they said that it isn't being done in Scotland yet (they are waiting on gaining the licence), so I am going to do some research into going down south. I hope you're not going too mad with the wait, it is very difficult I know!

Good luck at appointment
Mon xxx
Mon77

:xxx3:

5x m/c all before 10 weeks :angel2:
IVF with PGD Feb '11 24/2/11 :BFP: 3/3/11 early miscarriage :angel2:
Waiting NHS tx 2