You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "snowflake123" started this thread

Reg: Dec 19th 2010

Children: one Beautiful girl, A Teenager now

Friday, January 28th 2011, 5:10pm

LOOKING INTO FOSTERING FIRST STEPS

hi has anyone got any advice or info on fostering i think this is our next step now after our failed ivf.
i have been thinking about it on and off for years, well adoption was my first thought, however i have a daughter who's 13 now and i think fostering would be better for our family, age range 0/5 years.
my mother was fostered my the same lady (MY NAN) until she passed away she was so lovely my mum said she fostered about 50 kids all in all wow?
i work p/t in a special school so would give that up, so i could concentrate on my role as a foster carer.
i would love to hear from someone else.xxxx

Calypso

Superstar

Friday, January 28th 2011, 8:15pm

:wave: :hello: Snowflake!
I don't know much about fostering I'm afraid, but I do know that the home study process is fairly similar to that of the adoption one. I also know that there are different types of fostering and that when you get approved, you are approved for particular types. For example if you are able to give up work completely, you might be able to apply to do emergency fostering. There is also short-term and long-term fostering and respite foster (where you take in youngsters say for a weekend to give their full-time carers a break). Some long-term foster children stay in families right up to the age of 18. I also gather from some foster carers that their home study processes varied in length depending on the age and type of placements they were applying to take on.

You should probably approach your LA in the first instance for more information, although I know some charities (depending on your location) such as Barnardos also approve prospective foster carers. Your LA should have some open days/evenings or info sessions scheduled that you can attend.

In the meantime, have a look at Adoption UK's website which has lots of useful info. Here's a link that may help and you might want to post on the foster carers' thread where you'll get some answers from some experienced foster carers.

http://www.adoptionuk.org/s/forum/108012/forum/
(not endorsed by FZ)

:goodluck:

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

Jan 08 Fibroid removed. May 08 IUI - BFN :sadface:
Nov 08 IVF 7 eggs (just one fertilised :sadface: - BFN
May 09 ICSI 1 - 7 eggs (two fertilised) BFN :sadface:
Aug 09 Another fibroid removed
Nov 09 ICSI 2 - 1 mature egg (it fertilised) BFN :sadface:

My journey is now over

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Calypso" (Jan 28th 2011, 8:33pm)

Lunababe

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 19th 2009

Saturday, February 26th 2011, 3:05pm

My husband and I have also just started looking in to Fostering. I have attached a link to a site that we found helpful in our early stages. http://www.couldyoufoster.org.uk/

I then looked at our local council website and they have meetings for people who are looking into fostering and adopting. So we are going to our open evening on the 4th April.

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

Reg: Oct 6th 2010

Saturday, February 26th 2011, 5:49pm

Hey Snowflake,

My DH & I foster & have done for a few years now. The first thing you should do is call your local children's services team. They will then send you out an info pack. You will then be invited to an initial fostering presentation (held by foster carers). If you like what you hear they will allocate you a SW for a home assessment. They will want to know the ins & outs of everything!

The whole process can take between 6-12 months depending on how busy your fostering team is.

Many people choose to foster for private agencies. But please be aware that with goverment cutbacks many children are being bought back in to local authority care as the council pay agencies double. Local authorities are desperate for carers.

I wish you lots of luck. It is a very hard & challenging role. I thought that after having 3 children I knew abit about children & babies..... I knew bugger all!!! Seriously though it's very rewarding xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE