You are not logged in.

Unread posts

ttclady

• "ttclady" started this thread

Reg: Aug 4th 2009

Friday, March 12th 2010, 9:17am

We are now in the "unexplained infertility" bracket, not sure what to do next?

Well all tests have been carried out and no obvious reason why we cannot conceive. Had a HSG test on Wednesday, tubes are all clear which is good news, but it is still a mystery why we haven't conceived? Either we are unlucky and it will just take a little more time then usual or there is some less obvious underlying reason, I just don't know.

So I guess for this month we carrying on ttc naturally. Then will make another appointment with the consultant to see what they suggest. The consultant last time did mention perhaps trying clomid. I am in 2 minds as I ovulate on my own and don't like the sound of the side affects? But perhaps it will get me to release 2 eggs, so more targets for the sperm?

Until then we will carrying with the healthy eating, (trying as much organic food as possible), vitamins and supplements etc . I've almost cut out all the booze, may treat myself to a small glass of wine tonight though. :smile:

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, March 12th 2010, 12:32pm

Hello,

Welcome to FZ!!!

I'm sorry you've been put in the unexplained bracket.

Side effects from clomid are not nice. Mood swings, hot flushes, to name a couple.

I hope you're not waiting long for your BFP.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

lolly801

Reg: Aug 14th 2009

Friday, March 12th 2010, 12:46pm

Hi

I have been put into the unexplained bracket too it's so frustrating not having an answer when you have had numerous tests which show everything is fine.I was also given Clomid even though i was ovulating on my own but it's worth a try though it might just give that little helping hand.

How long have you been ttc?

xxx
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

ttclady

Friday, March 12th 2010, 3:31pm

Thanks both. We have been ttc for 18 months, so the consultant may say try for a bit longer. I'm hoping maybe the HSG gave my tubes a bit of a spring clean???

BTW Flic a big congratulations! I'm assuming from your pic, you've recently given birth, that's great news.

Reg: Nov 14th 2008

Friday, March 12th 2010, 7:36pm

Hi

We were also in the unexplained fertilty bracket very frustrating !!!! We were trying for five years and I conceived after three years but sadly miscarried and never managed to conceive naturally after that.

I took Clomid even though I ovulated naturally and I have a five month old baby girl now, I conceived on my 4th cycle of Clomid and my friend conceived twins on her 3rd cycle.

As for the side effects I suffered none on a double dose yet my friend suffered on a single dose. Every one is different, I would recommend Clomid to any one.

Hope this helps, also there is a good thread on here of ladies that are currently taking clomid it might be worth having a look.

Tracy x x

ttclady

Saturday, March 13th 2010, 9:00pm

Well Tracy, I'm so glad to hear about your success story. It is something perhaps worth doing for a few months then, I will read that thread to gain an insight.

Thanks Laura x

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Sunday, March 14th 2010, 11:44pm

Hi from me to you all,

I have my own thoughts on unexplained infertility which is how I got into using hypnotherapy as part of my management of infertility, whether primary or secondary - but I won't bore with that here. Regarding Clomid however, it is a very useful drug, and for most women its "side effects" are tolerable, in fact often these side effects can be its main effects, ie what you experience can be the result of your better hormones. So if your mid-luteal serum progesterone is not always good to excellent, that is something over 35-40 nmol/L, (and this is something that can vary from month to month even in fertile women), then Clomid can help to maximise your progesterone and make sure that every month is a good month. Also it can help to give you a better cycle length with a normal luteal phase for implanting, and more good cycles per year to try in, if you normally have a longer than normal cycle length.

However it is important that you and the unit monitor these things to make sure that there are these benefits. The snag with Clomid is that it can impair the development of good cervical mucus due to its anti-oestrogenic activity. This is more apparent at higher doses and in women who already don't appear to make much clear, sticky mucus. It can also, especially when given to women who are already ovulating naturally, produce multiple ovulation and therefore multiple conceptions and babies, which might sound like a good idea, but this in turn can lead to multiple miscarriages or premature deliveries. So it is always safer to start on the lowest dose of 50 mg daily, and only increase from this if this basic dose is not doing enough. So with care, give it a go.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

ttclady

Monday, March 15th 2010, 11:11am

Thanks Paul for your message. My cycles are quite regular 27-30 days, although last month was 34 days which gave me a false hope. I put this down to stress maybe, I did do a HPT on CD32 and it was negative.

I had a progesterone blood test in January and it read 58 nmo/l.

I haven't noticed much EWCM over the months of ttc, but I think I have improved it with evening primrose oil, grapefruit juice and drinking a lot of fluids.

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Monday, March 15th 2010, 11:19am

Hi,

I am sorry that you have been labelled 'unexplaind'. It is such a frustrating time but you bseem to be doing everything in your power to be healthy and prepared.

I would say give Clomid a try, the side affects can be difficult but are deffinately manageable and there are definately success stories.

I would like to wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get your dream come true.

blowiss

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

mandymoo

Reg: Feb 23rd 2009

Monday, March 15th 2010, 6:27pm

I totally understand how frustrating it is to be put in the 'unexplained' category. I have also been trying for 2 years and in the unexplained category as all mine and DH tests came back normal. I'm currently on my 5th cycle of clomid even though I ovulate each month. The side effects are bearable, the main one being hot flushes for me. As I stil haven't got a BFP i'm on the waiting list for IVF so hopefully will be starting treatment in the next few months. I would recommend trying clomid because you never know it may work for you!!!!

ttclady

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 6:10pm

I guess it's worth giving it ago before considering IUI and IVF.

ttclady

Wednesday, April 21st 2010, 11:07am

Will finally start clomid next cycle if no BFP! Had a scan yesterday and they gave me a prescription for 3 months, starting with a low dose of 50mg.

lolly801

Reg: Aug 14th 2009

Thursday, April 22nd 2010, 7:47pm

Good luck with the Clomid xfingers for that BFP!
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Sunday, April 25th 2010, 3:38pm

Are they definitely just giving you clomid? They may just do IUI if you are ovulating yourself or combine a follicle stimulating drug with iui? Perhaps ask about this?

Wishing you lots of luck. I do understand how frustrating being classed as 'unexplained' is. I was too but there can be light at the end of tbe tunnel, so keep up that PMA :smile:

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Reg: Nov 14th 2008

Sunday, April 25th 2010, 7:03pm

Hi Good Luck with the clomid.

As I said before I ovulated naturally and had regular cycles and I got my little Evie from Clomid.

CHeck out Clomid Chicks if you havn't already I thought it was a really nice thread and I've noticed there is quite a few recent BFP's on there.

Tracy x

Reg: Apr 25th 2010

Sunday, April 25th 2010, 7:28pm

surely you don't need clomid if you already ovulate normally... not sure if this will be good for you.
I guess that not having found anything rong with you is a "good sign" ... it may just take a little longer.
I hope that it will son work for you
B

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Friday, July 16th 2010, 6:48pm

Hi TTC lady

Just wanted to say congratulations as I saw from another thread that you got your BFP recently. However we are now in the same situation as you were in a few months ago - TTC for 18 months but all tests (my husbands test, blood tests, HSG and ultrasound) have come back fine. We have been offered IUI or IVF and have gone for IVF as feel we don't have time to waste on IUI, what with the success rates being so much lower. However, would like to know yours and anyone else's opinion on this as it's such a big step and it seems we might have a good chance of success on our own. On the other hand, I'm 34 in November and I know we need to get a move on to have the best chances of IVF success. What do you think? Anyone's advice gratefully received... thanks and congrats again :)

Me - 36 DH - 48. TTC since 2008
March/April 2013 Immune DE ICSI Gennet, Prague :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] :girl: :girl:
Diagnosed with severe pre eclampsia at 23 weeks :(
Babies born by emergency c-section at 24 weeks on 30th August 2013, One beautiful little angel passed away shortly after birth. Sleep tight sweetheart x :heart:
My Diary

Reg: Mar 14th 2009

Children: A special baby boy and a beautiful baby girl

Friday, July 16th 2010, 10:57pm

rb76 - :wave: we were in a similar situation as you last year - unexplained and offered the choice of IUI or IVF. In the end we went for IVF as our consultant said it would be a good diagnostic to see whether sperm and eggs are compatible. After a failed IVF (having had 2 embryo's replaced), we then tried 3 attempts at IUI (knowing we could acheive fertilisation). Unfortunately they were unsuccessful and we now in the stimming phase of our 2nd IVF.

Hope whatever you decide works out well.

xx

Over 5 years TTC, unexplained infertility
IVF Aug 09, IUI Nov 09, IUI Jan 10, IUI Mar 10 :BFN:
IVF Jul 10 :BFP:
Shock natural :BFP: on 16 Oct 12

Winter

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 8:29am

Hi ladies we have unexplained infertility too. Waiting until 27th to see what the consultant recommends next. I have no idea what options we'll be given but it helps to see what you've all gone for.

Look forward to seeing lots of BFPs from you all soon x

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 7:34am

Hi Nikki and Winter
Nice to hear from people in the same situation as us. We have a private consultation on 27th July so fingers crossed both consultations go well, Winter! We are pretty set on IVF now, just want to get on with it due to the success rate being so much higher. Scared though!!

Nikki, I will cross everything in the hope it works out for you, keep me up to date.

Hopefully we will get our BFPs soon! :)

Me - 36 DH - 48. TTC since 2008
March/April 2013 Immune DE ICSI Gennet, Prague :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] :girl: :girl:
Diagnosed with severe pre eclampsia at 23 weeks :(
Babies born by emergency c-section at 24 weeks on 30th August 2013, One beautiful little angel passed away shortly after birth. Sleep tight sweetheart x :heart:
My Diary

Winter

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Monday, July 19th 2010, 7:54pm

Not long to go for us rb76 - you'll have to keep us updated how it goes. I've got a diary if you can access them - counting down to next week!

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Podie

Reg: Apr 29th 2010

Children: 1 daughter from first marriage, currently 18 years old. She's the best.

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 3:51pm

An attempt to explain 'Unexplained'

Hello all!

We were also 'unexplained' and been tring for 3 years. All tests came back fine for both of us. Hubby is 30 and I am 37 so I was concerned that my age could be the underlying cause. Anyway, we had 2 attempts (privately) at IVF which both failed BUT did provide feedback as to the cause of our problems. In our case my eggs are of poor quality :sadface:

I produced a lovely big batch of eggs, responded fantastcially to the drugs, hubbys sperm was perfect, fertlisation was at 95% WOOHOOO we were thinking. Both attempts we had 2 eggs put back in but none of the eggs were of 'good' quality and both times got a BFN.

We were told though, and I think this is important, that IVF can be benefical in a diagnostic manner when 'unexplained' infertility is the problem. This is good to bear in mind when having your first IVF attempt as it lessens the pressure to get the BFP first time i.e. think "Well if it doesn't work the clinic will have a better idea of what is happening and may adjust my drugs or try something different" I found that calmed me a bit.

Anyway, this is a Clomid thread and so I will explain how I've ended up on Clomid too.
By my reasoning, although my eggs are poor, I am still producing them, just not many 'good' ones. By taking Clomid I am increasing the amount of eggs I release thereby upping the chances every month of getting a 'good' egg and getting pregnant. The bottom line is we are of a normal financial status and simply cannot afford more IVF at £4000 a go, althouhg if we don't get pregnant by next summer we may consider egg donation.

My side effects by the way, aren't too bad, just like worse PMT really. I get very dizzy and feel sick before I ovulate, but it's nothing I can't cope with. And it's certainly all worth it in the long run :)

Best of luck to all of you xxxxxx
Cuddles to everyone xxx :girl_witch:

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Sunday, August 8th 2010, 2:03pm

Hey rb

You seem to be in exactly the same place as me 4 years ago, we too were unexplained and unsure what the next step would be, we tried clomid for 6 minths as it was the only thing available to us on the NHS but as I was already ovulating, it did not help. Then, like you, we decided to opt straight for IVF as the success rate is better and due to self funding, we could only try once. As you can see, it was successful and we now have the most beautiful little boy but we are still unexplained as TTC #2 is not happening either. Anyway, what I am trying to say is to hang on in there, there are success stories and you have just as much of a chance as me to be one of them.

I see from your latest post that you have recently had your consultaion, how did it go, which clinic are you with as we were at Nurture in Notts?

Good luck to you all

blowkiss

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

Reg: Sep 9th 2010

Thursday, September 9th 2010, 3:57pm

Hi

I know how frustrating it is. We have been trying for 5 years, had all the tests done and then end up in the same unexplained fertilty bracket = very frustrating ! Now I am on 2nd day of my 2nd IVF cycle and hoping for the best.

I have been on 1 cycle of Clomid before and thought that the side effects were not that bad but as I was ovullating naturally I was not conviced that this was the way to go for me and therefore did not try any more cycles.

I hope you are ok and good luck. xxx

MY DIARY

April'10-IVF 4 eggs-none fertilised
Sep'10-ICSI 2 eggs,1 fertilised 7/10/10 BFN
Jan'11-ICSI 13 eggs,9 fertilsed, 2x8 cells put back - 4/2/11 BFN
May'11-ICSI 14 eggs,9 fertilised - none made it to day 5
Aug'11-DE,Czech Rep 13/8 2 blasts trans,1 frostie - :BFP:
Scan 8/9/11,3/10/11,20/10/11,15/12/11,6/1/12,2/2/12, 2/3/12, 5/4/12 bab10 bab11
Twins arrived 8/4/12 both healthy

Reg: Sep 13th 2009

Children: Aberdeen

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 5:15pm

Well all tests have been carried out and no obvious reason why we cannot conceive. Had a HSG test on Wednesday, tubes are all clear which is good news, but it is still a mystery why we haven't conceived? Either we are unlucky and it will just take a little more time then usual or there is some less obvious underlying reason, I just don't know.

So I guess for this month we carrying on ttc naturally. Then will make another appointment with the consultant to see what they suggest. The consultant last time did mention perhaps trying clomid. I am in 2 minds as I ovulate on my own and don't like the sound of the side affects? But perhaps it will get me to release 2 eggs, so more targets for the sperm?

Until then we will carrying with the healthy eating, (trying as much organic food as possible), vitamins and supplements etc . I've almost cut out all the booze, may treat myself to a small glass of wine tonight though. :smile:

Hey Chic

Welcome to the club!!!!

How long have you been ttc naturally for?

I think you should buy the book The Fertility Diet by Sarah Dobbyn - ITS A BIBLE for people with unexplained fertility. I have loads of highlighted sections with facts and statistics which i keep referring to!.

After 3 failed goes of IVF (started when i was 25 and am 27 now) I was alwasy told your young the success rates are high etc i had excellent egg quality, husband had super brilliant sperm and we had no underlying fertility problems there was just no reason why we were not getting pregnant.

Leading up to my 3rd cycle i decided to take a different approach - I meditated, did yoga, listened to hypnosis cds and ate organic, i did 30 minutes power walking or swimming a day - and generally felt alot better about myself which boosted my confidence. I tested 4 days early on my 3rd IVF Cycle and got a faint positive but when i tested 4 days later on the official test date it was negative. The hospital tested my bloods etc and they said it was really high with a certain hormone and said they expected attachment/pregnancy had existed but for whatever reason failed to continue.

For me personally before starting IVF i didnt look into possible natural factors that could be preventing pregnancy me and my hubby used OPKS and BD as much as we could that was it.... but once i started reading this book, it really opened up my insight into getting pregnant and where we were possibly going wrong.

Our NHS Funding for our 2nd FRESH cycle has been delayed due to the goverment cutting funding so it isnt til maybe august time, am following everything in this book in the hope of a natural conception before i half to go through IVF again.

You can get the book on Amazon - cheap as chips

Wishing you all the very best - i found being labelled unexplained was really hard and frustrating sometimes i wished they found something wrong so we had something to work on and knew the reason.

HUGS XXX
TTC Since September 2005, Me & DH both 26; Diagnosis - Unexplained Infertility.
1st round of IVF (fresh) Nov 09 - :BFN:
2nd round of IVF (frozen) April 10 - :BFN:
3rd round of IVF (Frozen) August 10 - :BFN:
4th round of IVF (Fresh) September 11 - xfingers

taxihome

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 11:59pm

I have to say Unexplained Infertility must be the worst.
With Explained you can try to eradicate the issue. It doesnt always work as we can see from this site but it helps.

There has been a huge rise in women seeking IVF & there must be a reason for this. Maybe the natural way is a good way to go.
I have never heard of infertile animals. I am sure there must be but I have never heard of them.
Sometimes I do believe also that being given a reason can be a placebo effect & you accept you can't concieve & hence you dont.
I have heard of so many stories where people say "We gave up trying & lo & behold it happened". Sadly though this is not accross the board.
I became pregnant naturaly in 1997 after being told I would never have anymore children, This pregnancy was after my 2nd IVF attempt.
It didnt work out for me, but it did happen. I have since kicked that DH out & replaced him. New DH has problems too though.

Of course there are some who without IVF & fertility drugs will never get their baby. Some couples have double whammy & they both have problems.

I am glad that both DH & I are aware we have a problem but it still doesnt help the gasping every month when the old witch turns up. It doesnt take away the sadness of another failure. I actualy look forward to my menopause & not having to go through that every month.
Maybe after 12 years we should accept that natural is not to be but hey it is never over till it is over.
That book may just be a good buy yet.

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, January 10th 2011, 2:04pm

Hey Chic

Welcome to the club!!!!

How long have you been ttc naturally for?

Ladies, this is actually quite an old thread. The member posted her BFP back in May last year and hasn't logged in since

x

cookie1

Reg: Feb 8th 2011

Wednesday, February 9th 2011, 10:19am

Yep we too are in the unexplained categeory, is so frustrating especially as all my friends around me are falling pregnant at the drop of a hat, although I am pleased for them all but is just hard. We have been trying for four years with no success have had a laparoscopy, various scans and one attempt so far at IUI which eneded as a :BFN: which was frustrating. Everyone keeps telling me it will happen but I am beginning to wonder?? We are seeing our consultant next month and i may opt for IVF to see if through this procedure they may pick up if there is a prob?

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE