You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "rianon" started this thread

Reg: May 30th 2010

Monday, January 3rd 2011, 11:48am

Contraception

Hello PGD ladies,

I am so grateful we have this separate thread as the issue I would like to discuss might seem a bit insensitive on other parts of this forum... but it is constantly on my mind and is very-very distrubing for me! It applies most for those doing PGD to fight a genetic disease but I am intereted in chromosomal translocation opinions as well.

OK, let's start: Somehow or other we got to know about our genetic situation. (we knew it from quite early on). Then we started to think about having children (or the other way round). Then we made the decision not to pass our genetic condition onto them. From that on it meant: NO trying for children naturally. To be honest it is quite distressing in itself. You always have to be on the lookout. You are not even allowed to try... You are longing for babies but can't try for them. Madness.

So far so good. As for us we were extremely lucky to get pregnant first PGD cycle. I am the forever optimistic and hoping it will happen again and we will have a bigger family. And what then? We keep going on extremely careful as what was it all for if there is only one natural BFP, but the child carries the disease. (for us there is 50% chance). Then the whole thing was for nothing as one of our children has it. We could have got there naturally as well. After all there is also 50% chance (per child) not to pass it on.

Contraception is never 100%. You always hear those stories. We don't even know how fertile we are as never tried....

What do you think? What are your contraceptive methods? Do you trust them? What would you do if you got pregnant naturally (I understand a lot depends on your type of disease as well...)?

Rianon

Reg: Dec 25th 2009

Children: One Angel son 15.5.11 and a Rainbow baby son 13.10.12

Monday, January 3rd 2011, 6:48pm

Yup, I'm in exactly the same predicament as you.

When DH and I first started going out we knew we wouldn't be starting a family for a while. I was on the pill for about 2 years while with him, then ended up having the Mirena IUS fitted. That was in place for 4 years before I took it out and then we found out we'd have to wait a bit longer before ttc because of our traits.

The IUS was very convenient because once its in place you don't have to do anything and you can keep it in for 5 years. I didn't have any problems with it but it did take a while for my periods to settle - about a year I think. After that I still got periods although a lot of women don't. They were only very light bleeds/spotting but lasted 7-8 days which wasn't great.

I didn't want to go back on the pill while we waited for treatment so I just got to know my cycles and we used condoms and OPKs. It worked fine but it's not something I'd want to do long-term, simply to avoid the same risks as you do. I'd definitely get the Mirena fitted again as I don't want to have to remember to take a pill every day for the next 30-odd years.

Well I hope my input has helped!

Much love,
Hope. xxx

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, January 4th 2011, 9:03pm

Hi Rianon, I can understand your dilemma but I don't have any answers, sorry. I did PGD due to a balanced translocation which means my miscarriage risk is very high but there is a small chance that I could have a baby with an unbalanced translocation with severe mental and physical disabilities. However, I also have fertilitiy problems PCO, endo, and DH has a variable count, so I don't know what to do now that we have been so lucky with our twin girls through PGD. Although there is a chance of getting pregnant naturally it is tiny, but it is still there. After so many years of TTC and IVF/PGD and miscarriages I can't get my head around contraception and what I should do.
After being on the pill in my 20's and all the IVF don't want any more extra hormones in my body.
If I did get pregnant naturally I would expect to miscarry in the first tri, but if that didn't happen I would have an amnio or CVS, then consider my options from the results. It sounds so wrong writing that but I have to consider my girls. I would love another baby but I think my best chance is my one frozen embie whcih passed the PGD tests, although I have no idea of the odds for just one frostie.
I know I haven't helped you in your decision but just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Good luck x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ros" (Jan 4th 2011, 9:08pm)

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 7:54pm

Thank you ladies for your answers. I am hoping others will share their thoughts too :-)

Ros I am really sorry to hear your situation. I was naive enough to think that with chromosomal problems you are either lucky or your pregnancy ends due to m/c. I would still hate trying with the anticipation of yet another loss. But the possibility of having disabled children makes it even worse as you are now responsible for your twins already... That puts you into pretty much the same situation as doing PGD against whatever other diseases.

I too hate putting more hormones into my body the amount during IVF is really more than enough. DH said he would happily do vasectomy but that is even bad as a joke. (He said we have to have ICSI anyway so what's the difference - well I didn't find it funny at all). His fertility is his gift and he really shouldn't waste it! What if we break up and he meets another women and decide trying naturally? (there is 50 % for healthy children and new treatments may be found as well).

I don't really like the other options either... nothing is 100% anyway

Well, still good to be relatively young :-) I can't say I am looking forward menopausal age just yet.

Rianon

PS: good that the Mirena works for you Hopeful I dont like an idea of a piece of metal + hormones inside me either... i think I sound like a neandertal

Reg: Jun 12th 2009

Friday, January 14th 2011, 3:22pm

This is an interesting thread. I am personally terrified of getting pregnant naturally as it seems that all of my eggs are affected by my translocation and end up making unblanced embryos. This is very rare and my clinic had not seen it before. I'm now pregnant from donor eggs and I am very happy that a lovely lady has given me the chance of being a mum. When my little girl is born I will be very very vigulant with contraception as I cannot get pregnant naturally again as I know it will only end in disaster and I can't deal with the emotional pain from this. This is a very very weird statment to make and I feel kind of wrong saying it on a site like this but hopefully you ladies will understand. I had a mirena before all of this infertilty stuff came to light and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one again as it keeps the endo at bay as well as making sure I don't get preggers. Told my DH that he should get a vascectomy but he was so horrified by the thought of it that I the mirena will be the next course of action.
Balanced translocation (me), 4 x miscarriages, PDG Jan 10 - BFN (no normal embryos), Aug 10 DE IVF - USA, very cautious BFP :)

Reg: Dec 25th 2009

Children: One Angel son 15.5.11 and a Rainbow baby son 13.10.12

Friday, January 14th 2011, 9:24pm

I'd probably go for the Mirena over a vasectomy too!

It's long term without being permanent, and is easily removed or changed if you come across any problems. Vasectomies aren't, and I'm sure they're more painful too! It's nice you and DH can discuss it and come to an agreement together, and as I mentioned above we'll probably go for the mirena again also, so you'll have a contraception buddy in me! :)

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 2:05pm

Wow great news about your pregnancy scoffs :-) Congratulations!

Do you live in the USA? Or just travelled there for treatment?

Yes, terrified is exactly what I feel too...

x Ria

Reg: Jun 12th 2009

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 6:12pm

We live in the UK but went to the US for donor treatment as there is no waiting list and the donors are anonymous. Also you get a lot of choice regarding the donor and we felt like we had more control over the whole process, whereas here and in Europe in general the clinic decide whether you are a match and you have to just go with it. Our clinic in the UK partners with one in the US so it worked out perfectly esp as I got pregnant first time :-)

I just love to wind my DH up about the vasectomy thing, he pulls a funny face as he's very precious about his man-bits, but the mirena is fine and that's what I will be getting when she's here later in the year!
Balanced translocation (me), 4 x miscarriages, PDG Jan 10 - BFN (no normal embryos), Aug 10 DE IVF - USA, very cautious BFP :)