You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Monday, February 9th 2009, 9:25pm

Diet changes to improve egg quality

Has anyone been advised on a particular diet or eating more of some foods, vitamins/herbs etc to improve the follice/egg quality?
Natural :BFP: with sperm antibodies

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, February 9th 2009, 9:37pm

Hi Kimarie

I've merged your thread with one we have already

There are also a few others which have some great information in

Egg Quality cant be changed?!!!!???

Quoted

Originally posted by Paul Entwistle
Re Acupuncture and egg quality - true you are born with your total potential of eggs in their precursor or immature form in the ovaries - and any genetic problem in those eggs cannot be changed.

However what helps to make good, potential eggs into good mature eggs, that can be fertilised and develop into good embryos and babies, is the environment in the follicles (the bubbles of fluid on the ovaries that contain the eggs, and that grow during the pre-ovulatory phase of the cycle). These follicles contain hormones and many other chemicals which help egg growth and maturation.

The quality of follicles and hence of eggs can be improved I believe by lots of approaches including dietary, acupuncture, hypnotherapy (which I use), improved blood flow to ovaries; and damaged by many things including (for some people, in some cycles) the very drugs used in IUI, IVF etc to stimulate ovulation.

So there is always room for improvement or sadly for problems in eggs in any cycle, natural or otherwise. So don't despair if you get a bad response in an IVF IUI or clomid cycle - next time can be better.

How Do You Improve Egg / Sperm Quality?

How does drinking milk increase egg quality?

Egg quality

There is a how to search section HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Monday, February 9th 2009, 9:42pm

Thanks
Natural :BFP: with sperm antibodies

JenBlack

Reg: May 19th 2009

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 1:07pm

Improve egg quality

Hi

I have had my first failed ICSI due to few eggs and egg quality in March. Im a bit scared to try again and get the same result. It has taken me quite a while to get over it - and still havent really got over it.

Im 29 yrs old, ttc for 3 years and doctor was quite blunt in telling me my eggs were of poor quality!!!

Ive heard Royal; Jelly has helped alot of people - has anyone had any success?????

Thanx
Jen

Emmsy

Star

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 1:16pm

Hi Jen

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but didnt want to read and run. I am taking Royal Jelly but whether it helps improve egg quality I don't know, but it can't hurt can it? :smile:

Wishing you lots of luck

xxx

Me 36 DH 41 TTC 9yrs

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 1:44pm

Hi Jen,

You asked the same question yesterday in another post - I've pasted a link in that but I'm not sure whether you've seen it yet?

Zero/Low Fertilisation Chatter

The link is dedicated to people who have had and are having similar problems with egg maturity and poor fertilisation so you should be able to find lots of people in a similar position.

Hope this helps :xxx3:

Moonshine

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Thursday, August 20th 2009, 12:39pm

RE: Improve egg quality

HI, this is rather late, but I saw your post about egg quality. My clinic recommends DHEA to improve egg and embryo quality. I would ask your clinic about it. It's a supplement that hasn't been regulated here in the UK yet but is widely used in the US. You take 75mg per day for about 4 months (or at least 2) before treatment. There are reports of significant improvements in egg and embryo quality.

Cathy
Cathy

Riley

Reg: Aug 26th 2009

Monday, December 14th 2009, 9:51pm

Egg quality???

Hi everyone
We have just finished our first cycle of IVF which ended before ET as the 5 eggs that fertilised failed to develope any further. :tear:
They think it has something to do with my eggs even though they said they all looked fine.
We are due to start a new cycle in Feb, this time ICSI.
I was wondering if there is anything i can do to improve the quality of my eggs???
Riley :xxx3:

Mar 2010-ICSI :BFP:
Apr-7wk+4 [zx115] seen
July-20wk+4 bab22

Reg: Apr 4th 2008

Children: We now have a gorgeous new little baby daughter! can't believe i can say that now!!! :D

Monday, December 14th 2009, 10:28pm

Sorry to hear your news huni,

would love to be able to help you out buti'm not too sure either..im sure someone will be along shortly though that can help you ?(

Lots of hugs to you both xx [zx127]

First ICSI Dec '09 :BFP: :weehee:

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: 1 DD - 2005

Monday, December 14th 2009, 11:03pm

Hi there, Really sorry to hear your news
I read about DHEA which is supposed to be able to improve the quality of eggs. If you do a search on here you might find something (if I knew how to add a link then I would search it for you!!), I talked to my cons about it, he said it is the latest fashion drug to maintain youth. There is no research to back it up. He said if I wanted to take it, it wouldn't do any harm but not to expect miracles! I have been taking it for the last 7 months...I am about to start tx again, but if (sorry when) I get my BFP it wouldn't necessariy be a result of that as I have changed many things this cycle.
Have a read up anyway and good luck. One other thing. Have you heard of ARRAY CGH. They do it at CARE Nottingham and Manchester. That is to look at egg quality prior to transfer. COuld be worth looking at, but be warned, it is expensive.

Good luck again

Jan 05:BFP:
2007 - 2010 - 7 x :BFN:
DD 5yrs Old - Time to [zx103]

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, December 15th 2009, 12:31am

Hi Riley,
One thing my clinic insists on is to have a good source of protein in your diet, and especially during stims, to drink lots and lots of milk.
Hope that helps a little,
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: Jun 11th 2010

Children: None as yet, though we have 3 cats & 2 dogs

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 1:31pm

Hi to all,

I have a similar question to Riley and I though I may revive this thread.

We had ICSI in Jun 10. I was on 350mg of menopur and I produced only 10 eggs after 13 days if stimulation. Out of the 10 eggs we only had 1 embryo as some were immature and other did not fertilised or fertilised abnormally.

The clinic mentioned that they were expecting a better response in relation to my age (35), both from a perspective of quantity, quality and maturity of the eggs; my anti mullerian test was between 14 and 15 so not particularly high.

They mentioned that should we decide to have another cycle they may increase the menopur to 450mg which apparently is the maximum recommended again, probably for 12 / 13 days.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the quality of the eggs?
Sussex Couple
[zx099] 63 - [zx151] low count/mobility + DNA issues
[zx098] 37
TTC since May 2005
3 IUI in 2006/2007 all :BFN:
2010 ICSI :BFN:

Reg: May 28th 2009

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 1:39pm

Hi,

I have heard Royal Jelly is good to improve egg quality, although I have never used it. Try doing a search as there has been loads said about it.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 2:34pm

My fourth cycle produced the best quality and maturity of eggs I have ever had. I changed lots of things, but drinking milk daily, eating brazil nuts and eating lots of protein were the main things.. We unfortunately had no fertilisation that time, but that was down to the swimmers, so I did the same for out fifth cycle and had great success. My first three cycles had produced not great quality or maturity of eggs, though we never had a problem with numbers. I got less eggs on my fourth and fifth cycles, but actually stimmed for longer and my blood levels were checked, so I actually think early EC's played a part as well in the initial cycles.

Wishing you lots of luck

blowkiss
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

Reg: Jun 11th 2010

Children: None as yet, though we have 3 cats & 2 dogs

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 12:42pm

Thanks all for your reply ... another silly questions.

I know that to see any improvements on DH sperm will take about 3 months ... what is the time period on eggs? Is it linked to the cycle or over a long period of time?
Sussex Couple
[zx099] 63 - [zx151] low count/mobility + DNA issues
[zx098] 37
TTC since May 2005
3 IUI in 2006/2007 all :BFN:
2010 ICSI :BFN:

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 1:37pm

Hi Riley, it takes 3-4 months, I think, for vitamins and supplements to take affect re. egg quality. You could try DHEA for egg quality. It's a form of testosterone, so I'd check with your doc first. You need to take 75mg per day for 4 months for best results. I had significant improvements with egg quality and got some 2+ embies after trying it. I also took Co-enyme Q10 (CoQ10), which you can get at health food shops. You have to buy DHEA online because it's not yet regulated here but it is in the US. Also, remember that not all cycles are the same: you may get better results anyway next time. Wishing you lots of luck, Cathy xxx
Cathy

Reg: Sep 4th 2009

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 2:01pm

Hi Riley, I was taking DHEA but stopped this week. Be sure to research all the side effects. I was only taking 50 instead of the recommended 75 because I had read that in a few studies 50mg had the same effect so I thought I would start there. After 3 months on it I started losing a ton of hair. Not just a bit in the comb but massive amounts. Hair loss affects some women taking DHEA but not others. Others who take DHEA have side effects such as acne and such. I didn't have any other side effect other than hair loss. There is a mixed bag of success stories out there on DHEA, some positive, some netural and some negative. I am still continuing to take royal bee jelly and CoQ10. Also add in Vitamin B and Vitamin D to a good pre-natal and eat lots of protein and drink milk. Good luck to you.
Kendy, me 39, DH 41
A zillion rounds of ovarian stimulation with Letrozole/clomid
1st ICSI - Aug/Sept '09- BFN
Shocking natural BFP '09- October - m/c
2nd IVF - Feb/Mar '10- BFP - m/c

• "tamjam68" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 29th 2010

Children: 5

Saturday, September 25th 2010, 5:13pm

improving egg quality

Hi all :) are there any certain foods that improve egg quality ?

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, September 25th 2010, 7:57pm

I don't know. There are lots of ideas on the net. I think the most important thing to do is to eat a healthy balanced diet, rich in proteins, including dairy and take some multivitamins with folic acid and omega 3, like pregnacare.

Saturday, September 25th 2010, 9:59pm

Hi Tamjam, I think Maria is right re the balanced diet. I think improving egg quality is a controversial area, but on the medical side switching stimms can help. I switched from puregon to menopur, which helped. Some think that supplements can help too like Co-Q10 and DHEA - the latter seemed to make a huge difference for me. But you should check with your clinic before taking these. DHEA is a naturally occurring hormone that can have side-effects, so do check. I didn't have any problems but some women do.

Good luck, Cathy xxx
Cathy

Sunday, September 26th 2010, 11:14am

Quoted

I don't know. There are lots of ideas on the net. I think the most important thing to do is to eat a healthy balanced diet, rich in proteins, including dairy and take some multivitamins with folic acid and omega 3, like pregnacare.
Hiya Maria I am already doing all these things and on a high protien diet and reducing carbs. glad you have confirmed this to me thanks. :happy:

Sunday, September 26th 2010, 12:39pm

what about soya milk i drink soya milk rather than cows but should i go back to cows ?

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, September 27th 2010, 5:32pm

At one stage I was advised not to have soya products as they may interfere with hormones.
At the moment I am taking some zita west supplements. They are expensive though... You can buy them online
Here's the site:
http://www.zitawest.com/

I don't think there is anything else you can do, unfortunately. I would not take DHEA without talking to your consultant first.

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, December 1st 2010, 7:44pm

is egg quality affected by stimulating drugs

Dear Ladies,

I have been wondering a lot about egg quality when found this thread and a post by a lady called "Sunshine". This was her post:

"since then I've found out that high dosages of the drugs can damage egg quality and that "natural" IVF works a lot better although you dont get "spare" eggs and so it costs a lot more money.

and I got pregnant "naturally" so my eggs cant have been all that crap!
"

I am very happy for her pregnancy she must be a mummy by now :) However she seem to have stopped posting sometimes in 2009. I would really like to get my head around this issue and would love to know ehere did she find this idea. My partner and I are having IVF (to be more precise ICSI with PGD (which is Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis) as there is a genetic trait in the family we would not like to pass on. Once the decision to go for PGD was made also meant we cannot try naturally. :tear: However we are still not very happy with the idea of having a lot of hormones and drugs pumped into me and asked the consultant briefly about natural IVF. They do not recommend it at all. IVF is a numbers game and PGD is more so as in our case around half of the embryos will carry the disease and they also have to get to 8-cell stage for testing. Some cannot even be tested for unkown reasons so those are lost as well.

Still I had this weird idea of having one "natural" egg collected per month, having them freezed and them introducing them all at once to DH's sperm. What do you think? I didn't even dare to tell the doctors as they will surely think I am crazy. I really don't mind multiple egg collection I would happily do it for the good cause.

And if there is scientific evidence that natural eggs are better....

Sorry for the long post well done if you have gotten so far! :-)

x Rianon

Wednesday, December 1st 2010, 7:46pm

oh so many mistakes in my post... sorry

Saturday, December 4th 2010, 2:02am

milder treatment same outcome?

Just to answer my own post in case anyone else is interested I found some well-cited scientific papers saying that milder treatment producing around 8-10 oocytes in total leads to pretty much the same amount of live birth as stronger stimulation producing around 14 oocytes as the latter makes more of the eggs worse quality... interesting.

Common sense would also tell me that if that ovary is designed for 1-2 follicles/eggs it cannot possibly grow and feed 10 properly even if there are added hormones... OK I am not a medic/nurse so please excuse my crazy thoughts.

xxx
Rianon

taxihome

United Kingdom

Saturday, December 4th 2010, 2:41am

Hi hon

Check out Gita Nargund at create health. They offer mild/natural IVF. Xxx

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Saturday, December 4th 2010, 12:19pm

I can't :-( They don't have PGD...

xxx

Reg: Aug 17th 2010

Children: a little bean being grown!

Saturday, December 4th 2010, 12:35pm

Quote from Rianon - Just to answer my own post in case anyone else is interested I found some well-cited scientific papers saying that milder treatment producing around 8-10 oocytes in total leads to pretty much the same amount of live birth as stronger stimulation producing around 14 oocytes as the latter makes more of the eggs worse quality... interesting.

Think my experience probably confirms this, got 20 eggs, 15 fertilised, onw went to 8 cell and then fragmented, only 2 embryos good enough for ET, 6 and 7 cell.

Out of 20 we got 2.....all the rest didn't continue to divide.

Think this backs up your theory....xxx
TTC-May 2008
lap&dye Jan.2010
Clomidx8

1st IVF Oct.2010 BFN: Nov. 2010 :tears:

Shock BFP Dec.2010!! whoops3
My diary

Reg: Aug 17th 2010

Children: a little bean being grown!

Saturday, December 4th 2010, 12:39pm

Oh, and milk makes me ill, so I am on soya.

Gave up all soya for about 12 months after a year of ttc, nothing happened, so I am now back on it, as well as taking pregnacare.

Hope it is not having an adverse effect....

Maria - I bought the zita west tablets, but cost a small fortune and still got a :BFN:

So am back on pregnacare. Bought DH the zita west pills too, but he is digging his heels in and am considering crushing them and hiding them in his food!!!!!!!!

Do you really think they will work? I am becoming very synical. Her book is very good though, I would recommend. :xxx3:
TTC-May 2008
lap&dye Jan.2010
Clomidx8

1st IVF Oct.2010 BFN: Nov. 2010 :tears:

Shock BFP Dec.2010!! whoops3
My diary

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, December 4th 2010, 6:03pm

I think pregnacare is just fine. Use the plus one with the omega3. I am using zitawest for 3 more months and then I'll go back to pregnacare as the zita west do cost a lot. You are supposed to use them 3 months before tx. I think a healthy diet and lifestyle helps, the vitamins on their own won't give you a bfp.

Too many eggs can lead to poor quality. I think now many clinics like to have around 10 these days. Luck plays a part in it too though!

As I said soya can affect hormones so don't go over the top with it. You need a balanced diet. Also if you want to change your diet do it 3 months before tx, not during the tx. The eggs take about 90 days to "come out" and grow in the follies, so it takes time. It's the same with sperm. No point in stopping dh from drinking and start a healthy regime when you start stimming, he needs to start 3 months before.

Monday, December 6th 2010, 9:28pm

I am so sorry tinyteacher you must have felt so cheated...

What happened to your 2 ?

x Rianon

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE