You are not logged in.

Unread posts

fairy

Superstar

• "fairy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 16th 2006

Location: depend's which room my twins have decided to vanish to!

Children: We have two VERY precious miracles! Twin girl/boy!

Friday, October 20th 2006, 1:27am

Please help, need info on IUI

Hey ladies, i hope your all well? :)
As some of you know DH and I have been diagnosed with the term UNEXPLAINED infertility :( and we have our appointment wiv the cons on the 2nd November, so im researching all aspects of any treatment that may be offered to us and as im ovulating normally, as regular as clockwork and DH's swimmers are fantastic, we are actually debating wether to entering them into the olyimpics, but hes going to try for bronze and cum second for a change ;) LOL!!! sorry but ive gotta make light of the situation or ill go insaine lol! deepest apologies if i offended, sorry :(. Any way back to why your here, I would like more information on IUI i know a little about it, as i understand this is what he/she may offer us as im ovulating normally, ive read that if im ovulatihg and DH's swimmers are fine then IUI is the first option to start then its IVF, have i read right?? So, any information or web addresses would be greatfully welcome as i want to ask all the right questions, get clued up before the 2nd, i cant find any info on the net, ive spent all day looking for a specific site imforming me and others of IUI, i really want to understand the 'ins and outs', side effects, the odds of IUI working????????? etc...or if you have any other information, web addresses about other treatments you think they may offer us? that would be really kind and really excellent of you :D im really sorry about the long mail :rolleyes: thanks for taking time to read it. :)

Many Thanks hunnies
Take care!
Lots of BABY DUST going your way :)
XXX

Me 30, DF 36
Ella-Louise and Ayden were born 24th December 2008 (11 weeks early) - Our family is now complete ... So we thought! A new bundle is on it's way! EDD 27th August 2012!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "fairy" (Oct 20th 2006, 2:50pm)

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Friday, October 20th 2006, 7:57am

Fairy hope I can help!

The odds of IUI working do vary from clinic to clinic & also it may not be offered by all NHS hospitals so you would need to check that with your GP.

I was the same, ovulating normally (albeit late in my cycle) & DH had olympic swimmers (good enough to pin the results on the fridge & show his mates the nurse said :O) but we had to have clomid first (most NHS hospitals will offer this) & also I had a HSG (X-ray & dye through my tubes to see if there are any blockages or abnormalities).

It may be that your local PCT will want to follow this route before offering any further treatment. The HSG or lap & dye is a very valuable examination which you really do need to take up as it highlights any internal problems which could affect any treatment you have.

If IUI is offered there are different protocols depending on which your clinic prefers. You can do IUI without any drugs at all, IUI with clomid, IUI with lower dose drugs used for IVF or down reg with the same drugs (basically switching off your own hormones to control your cycle absolutely) Some clinics give progesteron pessaries after insem to support any possible pregnancy, some don't :rolleyes:

The more 'intervention' the higher the success rate, I think it is somewhere between 15-20% on a medicated cycle.

I had a medicated cycle with drugs similar to clomid to start follicles growing, the injections to stimulate more follices & faster growth. Regular scans to check on progress so you don't produce too many or ovulate before the insem. Once the follicles reach the required size you normally take a HCG jab which matures the follicles & releases them. The insem is just like a smear & is done approx 24-36 hours after the jab to coincide with ovulation. DH's sperm sample would be take a few hours before, washed & spun to get the best wrigglers & then inserted direct into the uterus via a catheter.

The insem can be uncomfortable & you can cramp or spot afterwards. We were also told to 'cement' the IUI within 24 hours with sex to ensure the maximum chances!

If there is anything else you want to know just PM me or ask on here honey.

Hope that helps?

xxx

fairy

Superstar

• "fairy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 16th 2006

Location: depend's which room my twins have decided to vanish to!

Children: We have two VERY precious miracles! Twin girl/boy!

Friday, October 20th 2006, 12:59pm

Hi ya Bagpuss :)
Thanks for your reply and the info u gave me, i now feel i have a much better insight into certain treatments.
I too have had HSG and all is fantastic, tubes are clear and no cysts wich is why ive been diagnosed with unexplained fertility which is very frustrating as you probably full well know its unfortunate but on wards and up wards hey? which is why im researching certain aspects of treatment.
Thanks again hunni, if i think of anything else i need answering i wii let you know :D

Thanks darl
Take care

XXX

Me 30, DF 36
Ella-Louise and Ayden were born 24th December 2008 (11 weeks early) - Our family is now complete ... So we thought! A new bundle is on it's way! EDD 27th August 2012!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "fairy" (Oct 20th 2006, 2:50pm)

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Friday, October 20th 2006, 2:10pm

IUI

We have tried two cycles of IUI - on assisted and one unassisted -

Whilst it may be temptng to dve straight into IVF -- the IUI does give a good precursor of the how you will react to the stimulant drugs -

Some clinics will offer IUI funding on NHS - but not fund the drugs - about £300. You need to check that as it was a bit of a surprise to go to the pharmacy and get a bill!

as Bagpuss said the succes rates vary, and are not as good as IVF, which is why some palces are steering away from this treatment.

Best of luck - do lots of research, Get a big list of questions - even fax to the clinic ahead of the appointment - and make sure they explain it .... They love being asked really - !
DAD to twins

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE