You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "adreamz" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2010

Saturday, October 30th 2010, 2:39pm

1st time clomid

I was due to take clomid in september but when I did a pregnancy test before it came back positive. I was very shocked as I have not had a period for 9 months. I m/c 2 weeks later.
I started on clomid in october after inducing a bleed. I had follicle monitoring scans and the results showed an egg >18. On ovulation my nipples became very tender for 3 days but this has since stopped. Does this imply that I cannot be pregnant from this cycle? I am due for my progesterone test on monday and I'm finding it very frustrating with all the waiting. please help.
Adreamz :xxx3:

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 30th 2010, 8:05pm

Welcome!

There is absolutely no way of knowing at the moment whether this cycle will be successful for you. All you can do is wait until your period is due and do a test. The progesterone result will give you a good indication of whether you've ovulated at a level which would support a viable pregnancy. I know the waiting is very hard.

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

There is a clomid and ovulation induction section HERE so you can get to know others on clomid and ride the clomid roller coaster together.

There is a CLOMID CHICKS CHAT thread HERE where all the clomid girls hang out and support each other.

There is a cycle buddies section HERE so you can get to know others having TX at the same time as you.

There is a 2WW section HERE and a 2WW CHAT thread HERE so you can compare every twinge and symptom with everyone else.

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

Because the running of the site completely depends on the kindness of our members, we ask for a small donation in return for a signature name, which is explained HERE. Hang around a bit and get to know us before you decide if you'd like to support us!

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

• "adreamz" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2010

Tuesday, November 2nd 2010, 10:00am

Well my progesterone came back as 36 but the fertility nurse didn't sound oerly impressed and wondered if i should be taking a larger dose. She also asked if I had started my period yet which didn't exactly fill me with confidence!! Is it very unlikely that I would have conceived during the first time anyway? I am constantly needing a wee but I don't have tender breasts still. Am I just making up symptoms in my head?
Adreamz :xxx3:

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, November 2nd 2010, 12:38pm

It's my understanding that over 25 is generally thought of as a 'safe' result.

Progesterone is the hormone that causes the uterine lining (endometrium) to ripen and mature for embryo implantation. A very low progesterone, say less than 10 indicates that you probably did not ovulate in that cycle; between 10 and 17 you ovulated but would not implant and therefore not get a pregnancy, even if you produce an embryo; 17 - 23 you will implant if it is a good embryo, but the lining will probably be too immature to provide the right environment to sustain implantation and embryo/foetal growth such that you may miscarriage either very early on, or have a difficult and unstable early pregnancy with perhaps bleeding then go on to have a miscarriage.

If the level is over 25 you are out of the danger range in that particular cycle, but values can vary from month to month, with values over 40 being common.

We have many treads that wil help

Confused about progesteroneProgesterone Level Results back - what do they mean?progesterone test

and a previous post from Paul

Quoted

Originally posted by Paul Entwistle

In an adequately ovulatory cycle, the mid-luteal (ie D20-22 in a cycle length of 27-29 days) serum progesterone, should be something in excess of 26 nmol/L, (and it can go as high as 70-80). Below this level down to around 16 nmol is suggestive of probable ovulation but there is a likleyhood that the level will be too low for adequate endometrial development, resulting in poor embryo implantation and consequent implantation failure and early miscarriage. Below 16 is probably non-ovulatory.

Your progesterone can vary from month to month to quite a high degree. The assay of progesterone or any other hormone, in any given cycle, is therefore only a "snapshot" of your ttc cycles over a particular time scale, and which is then being used to assess all of those other cycles. The true value of the observed result will depend upon how typical it is of those months of ttc. Hence a value say of 22 this month could be your highest, your lowest, or your usual value, there is no way of knowing - unless you know some reason why things in that particular month were better or worse than your usual cycles.

For me to be totally happy that ovulation is not a problem I would want to see two values over 30 nmol/L. I would be confident that even if these were the best of the bunch and others were down to 25 -26, adequate ovulation is probably happening in most months, which is the normal situation. However I would be unhappy with a random value of say 20 nmol/L even though it is ovulatory. Whilst this might be her worst ever and all others months were better - might also be her best ever, and all others much worse. In a pregnancy cycle ovulation has obviously occured even if only poorly, and if not going to last, so the progesterone would have to be over 20 nmol.

Prolactin can, and should be assayed in the same mid-luteal blood sample as that taken for progesteone. The other two assays are Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteining Hormone (LH). These are the pituitary hormones sent to stimulate follicular growth and rupture on the ovaries, and they rise prior to and around ovulation therefore. It is the basal level that is important and which is used to assess ovarian sensitivity, ovarian reserve, and PCOD tendency. They should be measured therefore well away from the ovulatory peak which means during the first two days of the cycle, whilst still bleeding. If the blood sample is taken much later than this, and especially in women with very short cycles, then the start of the preovulatory rise will be detected and give falsely elevated (ie menopausal) values. The same type of sample bottle can be used for these as is supplied for progesterone and prolactin - but not the same blood sample of course.

Paul

if you type 'progesterone' into the search engine you will find many others :D

HOW TO SEARCH

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 2nd 2010, 4:22pm

Hiya!!

36 is a great result! You have most definately ovulated and so are definately in the running this cycle chick!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE