You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "somuchlove" started this thread

Reg: Jun 24th 2010

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 2:19pm

No sperm and feeling neglected

Hi Everyone,

I'm new on here and this is my first thread, so nice to meet you all! I started looking for forums that could help me this week and came across here.

Ok so the story so far is we have been TTC for 2.1/2yrs, we approached our doctor after 12 months for tests and was referred to Jessops Hospital in Sheffield. We had a couple of blood tests which all came back ok, I had a US which again was OK. Hubby gave a sample which came back as no sperm seen (Azoospermia) and straight away they told us we would need IVF/ICSI and SR to have a baby. We're both only 27 and it came as a massive shock, so after being discharged from Jessops because we weren't eligible for NHS funding as I have a 6yr old son from a previous relationship and because we weren't in a position to pay for it privately we went back to our GP because we were so angry. We then got referred to a urologist who put a camera down there to take a look, he thought he might be able to see a blockage so arranged for surgery, we have never been told the name of the surgery. Husband had the op in Dec 09 and went back to give another sample (not at a fertility centre, only a general hospital) which again came back no sperm in Jan 10. They did do a biopsy and found that he does produce healthy normal sperm, it just gets stuck somewhere!

From what I can gather from reading other posts, the 2nd sample was done too soon to see results? Now we're waiting on another appointment to go back to Jessops and have another "chat" which is in Sep.

I suppose the reason for me coming on here is to see what other experieicnces people have had, I know we're not the first or won't be the last to go through this. We really feel neglected by the NHS and my hubby was left in terrible pain after the op beacuse the hospital needed his bed they chucked him out of hospital 12 hours after his op, his catheter should've been in for at least 24hrs to allow for swelling to go down but didn't so the day after he was rushed back to a&e and had to have the catheter in for another week at home! Bless him, he evewn started telling me how much he loved me and was in tears on the way to the hospital cos he was in so much pain he thought he was going to die! The a&e staff just left him sat in the waiting room screaming, when I went in there to see what they we're doing they were all stood around with a cuppa talking about what they'd done over the weekend! I could clearly hear him screaming from where they were stood chatting.

Sorry to moan but I need to vent and it's made all the worse as we were told by our consultant that we couldn't have funding for ivf as we halready have a child (which is fair enough) but then a couple of months later my SIL went to the same hospital and is now starting funded ivf even though they have a biological child already which was naturally conceived.

Please let me know if anyone can give us some advice on our situation as the "professionals" don't want to know if we can't pay for the IVF! bigcloud

Reg: Aug 27th 2009

Children: None-Hopefully one day!

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 2:42pm

Hi, i didnt just want to read your story and run. That is just typical of the NHS when you are in hospital it can be like being on a conveyor belt, even tho you dont feel well they can make you feel guilty because they are overworked and short of room to care for everyone.
On a good note at least you know your other halfs swimmers are good its just that they are getting a bit lost on the way out [zx151] I really hope you can get more help from here as Im sure there will be lots of people in your situation.
:xxx3:
Jen
1st IVF Cycle Sept 09 - BFN , 1st Natural FET Jan 10 - BFN, 2nd Natural FET June 10 - BFN
Dancing Queen's Very Own IVF Diary

flump

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 16th 2009

Children: A 13 year old daughter

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 3:22pm

Aw hun, sorry to hear about the trauma you've already been through. I think I'd suggest going back to your GP & asking to be referred to a different hospital. Also, if IVF is what you need, would you consider the possibility of egg donation, as that can help a great deal with the costs as well as helping someone else become a mummy. Come & say hello over on the trying again/secondary infertility boards on here too. [zx127]

babydust to us all

Me & OH both 31
One gorgeous DD (from previous r/ship) born 11/04/97
TTC 2 years
Waiting (im)patiently for Consultant's appt on 3/8/10 after an 8 month wait
Me -LH 6, FSH 12, Day 2. Looks like I may be running low on eggies
OH - 77 mil count, 16% fast progressive, 24% slow ones, 3% normal forms, Head to head agglutination

PMA all the way

• "somuchlove" started this thread

Reg: Jun 24th 2010

Friday, June 25th 2010, 9:33pm

Thanks guys,

we've spoke about egg sharing and if we can't get nhs treatment then this will have to be the way we go with it. I love the idea of being able to help another couple like us faced with fertility problems. I don't need them all that would just be greedy now wouldn't it? So why should we keep them all.

Back to jessops in Septemeber so hopefully they might have changed the local PCT policy (revision due out next month).

So fingers crossed.
xxxxxx

flump

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 16th 2009

Children: A 13 year old daughter

Friday, June 25th 2010, 10:01pm

Good luck for September, hopefully the funding criteria has changed in your favour hun x :xxx:

babydust to us all

Me & OH both 31
One gorgeous DD (from previous r/ship) born 11/04/97
TTC 2 years
Waiting (im)patiently for Consultant's appt on 3/8/10 after an 8 month wait
Me -LH 6, FSH 12, Day 2. Looks like I may be running low on eggies
OH - 77 mil count, 16% fast progressive, 24% slow ones, 3% normal forms, Head to head agglutination

PMA all the way