Unread posts

Mouse

• "Mouse" started this thread

Reg: May 16th 2006

Monday, October 2nd 2006, 1:43pm

New IUI

Hi
Can anyone help with some advice?
I had Lap 2 weeks ago and was diagnosed with 1 blocked tube.
We are still allowed to go ahead with IUI.
We are going for our first consultation on this tomorrow.
What should I expect?
reading through the threads there are not many examples of sucessfull IUIs ..or with 1 blocked tube.
has anyone got any sucess stories or can tell me what to expect at the first cons?

Mouse!
TTC 2 years- IUI scheduled for oct

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, October 2nd 2006, 1:53pm

Mouse hi & welcome to FZ!

One of our ladies has IUI in Bristol so she may be able to give you better info than me but here goes!

You should have the protocol discussed - what drugs will be used (if any) & how they will be administered (injections, tablets etc). The timing of follicle tracking scans & if you will need a HCG jab to release the follicles. How long after this will the insem be done etc.

It's a good idea to take a note pad & pen with a list of questions you want to ask as you always forget when you're in there! I would def ask what the success rates are for IUI in your situation.

Hope that helps in some way, shout if you need anything more info :D

Gill
x

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, October 2nd 2006, 1:55pm

Hi

Welcome to FZ.

There should be quite a few threads about IUIs on this board....

I have PCOS and we went through 2 courses of IUI. The first course wasn't successful but the second was.

The first consultation will be to go through the course of treatment and how to go about doing it. I injected but I think hospitals tend to have slightly differing protocols.

You'll get a lot of advice and support from the ladies here.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Oct 2nd 2006, 1:55pm)

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, October 2nd 2006, 2:50pm

Hiya Mouse

Glad you've got the Lap over and done with.

You are with St Michaels aren't you ? Their IUI protocol may well differ from Southmeads (although I really couldn't say why ;)), so you may not be on the same drugs as I was.

Have you made a list of all the questions you have for your Dr/Consultant? Don't worry about taking a pad and pen in with you with a whole bunch of questions! (I recently went to the private clinic in Clifton and the dr's face dropped when she saw me with my reporters pad and 3 pages of questions ;) :D).

Jot things down as they talk to you, it is their responsibility to ensure that you as a patient have a clear and precise understanding of what treatment is being offered.

One thing you must take with you is a note of your last period date. They may wish to arrange your schedule in this appointment. And depending on which protocol you will be on, treatment will start on your next cycle-day 21 or day 1.

Lisa
xx

Mouse

Monday, October 2nd 2006, 3:22pm

Thanks for the reply ladies

I think I am doing the injections..that is what Cons hsa said..

so is it just a case of waiting till next AF before we can start?

do you know of anyone who has 1 tube blocked who has had sucessful iui?

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Monday, October 2nd 2006, 4:39pm

Mouse

I am at St Michael's but have to go through IUI. I have my Ovulation Induction Apt on 31st October so think I'm a bit behind you. Dr Lambert said to me that you ring up on the first day of your period to see if they can fit in IUI for you that cycle as obviously it involves alot of work from yourselves and the hospital. But I do not know what protocol of drugs I am on. I think they tailor it to yourselves maybe.

My tubes are almost certainly not blocked (HSG done but results not known so she is going on nurses' memory and have to ring 10 days before Ovulation Induction Apt to make 100% certain that tubes are indeed ok) so I do not know about that side.

She did say to us that success rate is 16-20%. Now I have a underactive thyroid condition so whether that is why but I think any percentage is better than now with me not yet pg so I'll try anything. We have been allowed up to 3 go's at St Michael's paying the sperm preparation separately to Priory Clinic in Bristol.

Hope this has helped and welcome to FZ - the best site in the world - ever!!!!!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Mouse

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 6:07pm

Hi Loraine
Am at St Michaels too

Went for first appointment for IUI today..the nurses were really good..they just talked us through everything and told us what to expect..have to phone up on first day of next cycle and then we should be all stations go.
Gave us needles etc to take away and practise on a grapefruit with ..DH went as white as a ghost when it finally clicked that he would be injecting me!..I think he thought I had been winding him up!.

I have an under active thyroid too..!but is all under control now...

We are just waiting for that first day now..seems strange to be wanting it to arrive after the past 3 years of hoping it won;t!

Mouse

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, October 3rd 2006, 7:42pm

Glad your appointment went well Mouse

Is your DH preparing himself for the injecting now!!! I think it's nice for the man to be involved in it all... they can sometimes feel they are just the by-standers.

Will you be downregging... or injecting on day 1 or 2 of your cycle?

Hope AF arrives soon for you

x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE