You are not logged in.

Unread posts

lolly801

• "lolly801" started this thread

Reg: Aug 14th 2009

Friday, January 29th 2010, 12:59pm

Diagnosed with unexplained infertility!

Hi Ladies,

Well after 3+ years of TTC & numerous tests i had my last appointment this week with my gynacologist to see what happens next as i have finished my 9yh cycle of clomid with no success.I was told that i had unexplained infertility & they are going to refer me to an ivf clinic i can't get my head round the fact that they dont know whats wrong with me.I'm feeling scared that my fertility journey maybe coming to an end as ivf sounds to me like the end of the road.

Anybody in the same boat? i would love to hear from you

Thanks
Lolly.xx
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Friday, January 29th 2010, 1:21pm

Hi Lolly

I am sure it is a huge shock at the moment, as you need an answer, but unexplained infertility is not as scary as it sounds, albeit very frustrating.

Unexplained means that they can find no physical reason in your or your DH as to why you haven't fallen pregnant yet whereas the alternative is that they *could* have found one (or more) of a whole number of issues that would make the next step very difficult indeed.

Have they discussed IUI with you? Why do you feel IVF is the end of the road?

lolly801

Friday, January 29th 2010, 6:54pm

Hi Eeyore thanks for your reply,

No they havn't disscussed IUI with me or any other treatment other than IVF thats why i'm feeling a bit worried as i thought this option was only given when theres nothing else that can be done.

Lolly
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Friday, January 29th 2010, 7:06pm

Oh no Lolly, that's not the case at all. IVF could well be the answer to your prayers, please don't see it as a negative. We have SO many of our members who have been ttc for many, many years and IVF has given them their family.

Have you had a read through our IVF section? That may help?

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Saturday, January 30th 2010, 7:43am

Hi Lolly :hugs:

I'm sorry you're feeling abit overwhemed and down about the news that you'll be starting ivf next. I do understand how frustrating it is to be diagnosed as unexplained as me and my dh were too. Every time we had an investigation and it came back clear, I was relieved but at the same time frustrated as we still didn't know what the problem was!! But, there is hope as this site is proof of and ivf/icsi can be exactly as Eeyore described - the answers to your prayers. On our 2nd cycle of ivf we did ICSI and we got our BFP!! We learnt from our first attempt and although it didn't give us an exact reason why we hadn't been conceiving, it hinted at something and helped us to understand. Infertility is such a tough road to be on and even tbe professionals don't know all the answers, but please hang in there Hun and keep talking to us on FZ as you will find so much support and strength to get through your journey :smile:

I would definitely talk to your clinic/consultant about IUI. Although the success rates are lower than ivf it is an easier process and can be the answer for many people. My friend had TTC for 3 years and got pregnant on her first cycle of iui so I know it can work :D

check out the ivf section and have a read and hopefully this will help you feel better about ivf. It's definitely not the end of the road - more likely could be the beginning :D

blowkiss

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Saturday, January 30th 2010, 2:57pm

oh Lolly, :hugs: read your post and as one of the many many people here on FZ with unexplained infertiltiy just wanted to pop my head in to offer my support and maybe a bit of hope. It can be so frustrating not having an answer as to why you haven't managed to concieve. The reason they don't know is only because baby making is too complicated to properly understand. Just cause they haven't found out why its not happening It does not mean it cannot be treated. The drugs used during IVF take control of your bodys hormone production making it more likely that things will come together at the right time and make it more likely that you will conceive. Please don't see IVF as a negative thing. See it as a postive. You are taking action. Once I started IVF I felt much better about my infertility. As though I was taking control and progressing somewhere. If you take a look at my avatar you'll see the result of IVF number 2 - my beautiful 16 week old daughter.:cheese:

This is not the end of the road for you. This is the beginning.......

:xxx3:
Sept '08 1st IVF :BFN:
Jan '09 2nd IVF :BFP: bab10
Dec '11 3rd IVF :BFN: 1xfrostie
June '12 failed thaw
Nov '12 4th IVF :BFN: 3 snow babies

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Saturday, January 30th 2010, 3:25pm

Hi There

Just wanted to pop in and say hello! It must be extremley frustrating not to have an exact answer as to why you haven't concieved yet but being 'unexplained' means you have every chance of concieving. Any form of fertility treatment is daunting and after clomid I guess moving to IVF or IUI can seem a big step but as Eeyore has said this site is full of ladies who have sucessfully made their families through assisted conception just like me! I hope that your journey is a short and successful one! x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Saturday, January 30th 2010, 6:55pm

Hey Lolly

I understand how you are feeling, being 'unexplained' is very frustrating as I was unexplained myself (although in the end it turns out I have a terrible AMH).

Please don't feel like treatment is the end of the road though, there are so many positive stories on here. As Eeyore says, IUI would be worth considering, it is much less invasive than IVF and often has great results (see Indie above :D). Perhaps you need to have a further discussion with your consultant and there are plenty of people on here who will be more than happy to answer your questions and help you through. It is daunting but don't give up hope just yet, there are lots of options available to you.

Sending :hugs:

Love Gracie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Bath1975

Reg: Dec 1st 2009

Children: Not yet!

Sunday, January 31st 2010, 9:04pm

Hi Lolly :hi: ,

Just saw your post and thought I should reply as I was in a very similar position to you last year. When I first heard the words IVF I wanted to cry because I also viewed it as the end of the road. I thought if that doesn't work then nothing will. I have also been TTC for 3 years and have unexplained infertility (although I have one blocked fallopian but am classed as unexplained as this shouldn't stop me getting pregnant).

BUT, I've just had my first round of IVF (albeit I'm still in the horrible TWW period to see if it worked) but already I feel so differently. I did ask about IUI before I started IVF but was told it wasn't really worth it and it would be better to get on with IVF. I didn't understand this at the time but now I'm glad we've gone straight here instead of wasting any more time. The most positive thing is that the clinic sees IVF as a diagnosis tool as well as a treatment. They can see how you react along the way, if you produce eggs, if these fertilise etc and even if it doesn't work they will know more about you and your body than before. And of course, a lot of the time it does work!! The consultant even said that if everything else works but doesn't lead to a BFP they could then try IUI. So, please please please don't worry too much about it and see it as a step in the right direction!

I hope that helps but if you need any more info, please to PM me (although I am still new to this as well!).

Good luck with everything and hope you feel more positive soon

:xxx:
2 Fresh and 1 frozen ET in 2010 - All :BFN: :
2 x IVF in 2011 (one immune) - Both :BFN: :bawl:
DE cycle at Serum with immunes - October 12 - Guess what? :BFN:
DE FET March 2013 - :BFN:
DE cycle -October 2013 and FET November 2013 - :BFN:
DD cycle - last go - BFP!!!

lolly801

Monday, February 1st 2010, 3:56pm

Hi ladies,
thank you so much for all your replies i have been reading some IVF success stories so i know i just need to start thinking a bit more positive from now on,i should be grateful that things are on the move at last.

Biggreeneyes- Congrtats on your BFP! thats the kind of news i want to hear.

Lizzy25- Well done hun your daughter is beautiful!

Bath1975- xfingers for you.xx

Did anyone take holiday from work to have IVF? only asked as i work for a company that doesn't keep nothing confidential i'm surrounded by gossipers and i don't know what to do it's been hard enough making excuses to have hospital appointments.

Thanks
Lolly :smile:
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, February 1st 2010, 4:22pm

Just wanted to say chin up, we were described as unexplained (although there were a few littke niggles but nothing that should have prevented conception) and my son is 2 months old. At the start i didn't think it could possibly work for me but it did so have faith.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Monday, February 1st 2010, 6:32pm

lolly, I echo what grace said - I did not think this would happen to me. Im normally a very positive person but lack of any BFP really knocked the stuffing out of me. IVF was just not going to work. Babies happened to other people not me!

I didnt take holidays from work but i was really lucky as I work in the grounds of the hospital so could easily nip to appointments before work. I did however take a few days off after my second IVF. I wanted to make sure I relaxed properly. It might help if you could have a quiet confidential word with your boss. There are a few appointments to go to. Unfortunately they take place over an extended period not just say, a 2 week holiday. The appointments aren't long and can usually be scheduled first thing before you go to work but that depends on what time you start in the morning. No one ever knew at my work, though I did end up telling my boss.

Very very best of luck

xxxx
June '12 failed thaw

mandymoo

Reg: Feb 23rd 2009

Wednesday, February 3rd 2010, 11:45pm

I just wanted to say I totally understand how your feeling. I too have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility after trying for years. I've had 3 cycles of clomid and currently starting the 4th on 100mg but I have been listed for IVF too. It does feel like IVF is the last chance and if that doesn't work, thats it, which is frightening. I still can't believe this is happening to me, i'm only 28 and everyone around me seems to be getting pregnant. Life can be so unfair.

lolly801

Friday, February 5th 2010, 7:52pm

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

After a long week i am now going to treat myself to a large glass of wine to help me unwind am looking forward to receiving my 1st appointment at the clinic, does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the referal proccess?

Mandymoo- I know what you mean there are bumps everywhere you go i never used to notice pregnant women until i knew i had a problem i am only 29 & feel very frustrated as people keep asking me when am i going to have a baby if only they knew.
How are you finding the clomid? hope this year will be a lucky one!

Lolly.xx
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 3:47pm

Its the most cruel thing. I will never ever ask anyone when they are going to have kids. I've lost count of the number of people who asked me and i had to reply 'oh one day maybe' as though i was indifferent towards it. Tore me apart that did!

Im not sure how long referral takes. At my clinic once you have your appointment your pretty much there. They take a day 2 (i think) blood test on next cycle then your on!

Hope that was a jucie glass of vino

xxxx
June '12 failed thaw

lolly801

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 4:26pm

yes thanks lizzy that was a very jucie glass of vino well needed!

Thanks for your advice it's good to to be able to talk to someone that understands.

:smile: xxx
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

mandymoo

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 10:13pm

The clomid hasn't worked for me up to now but i've just had my dose increased to 100mg so will find out next month if successful (i'm not feeling very positive to be honest). If by the referral process you mean waiting list it depends on your postcode. i'm in salford so the waiting list is 5 months from referral.

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Monday, February 8th 2010, 1:32pm

Hi Lolly,

I'm another who's been where you are so thought I'd drop you a quick note to say stay strong. It is all horrid and so so so unfair, although we know deep down it really is better that there's nothing obviously wrong somehow I thought if there was something diagnosed I'd have a magic pill or something, everything would get better and I'd be preggers next month. Anyway, we went on to try IUI, (no luck), and then thought more about the positives of IVF, as people have said on here it can be diagnostic too, so we took the plunge. It was the best thing we ever did :happy: and I can't believe that ds is now already 9 months old. When we went through it all they decided to do half IVF and half ICSI as I'd produced 16 eggs and we ended up using an ICSI embryo. Nothing ever showed that dh's swimmers weren't good but it just seemed to work better this way and whilst it wasn't the way we had planned to conceive it did the job and we're over the moon. We also have a few embies in the freezer if it's still not working when we want to try again.

I see you are in Suffolk, I don't know whereabouts but although I live in Herts now I'm from Suffolk, a friend from home recently went through the exact same thing and her appt came through pretty fast in Bury so fingers crossed yours will too. I do know that Suffolk recently changed things so you get 3 IVFs on the NHS and they tend to use Bourne Hall for embryology which is meant to be one of the best.

Good luck to you , it really is only the beginning.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

lolly801

Monday, February 8th 2010, 8:44pm

Mandymoo- sorry to hear your not feeling very positive i completely understand how you feel it can be so frustrating as the months go by.
Unfortunatley Clomid didn't work for me, but hopefully this won't be the case with you maybe a higher dose is what you need
xfingers for you.xx

Hi Caz,
Oh how cute is your son you must be so proud it's so lovely to hear some positive stories.

I am from Bury & i have been told that bourne hall will be my clinic so i am very pleased to hear that it's a good one thanks!

xxx
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

Reg: May 9th 2009

Monday, February 15th 2010, 7:00pm

Hi Lolly

I'm in your boat too. You're at a slightly different stage to me. I was diagnosed 'unexplained' a few months back after 2 years of trying and was told that IVF could be the next stage. I felt terrified just like you. I couldn't utter the sound 'IVF' without blubbing! It does feel like the end of something but definitely not the end of the journey, more the end of waiting for test results and being in a horrible bleak limbo land. I feel like the journeys finally just begininning rather than sitting around waiting. I had a really bad time accepting it at first as I thought IVF would be a road I'd never go down. Had my planning appt last week and now feel so much better about it. I'm finally doing something that might just work and that beats waiting. Also, being unexplained at least IVF, if nothing else could maybe offer some kind of answer to why I can't get pregnant. Also, the stats for IVF and unexplained are pretty good. Best of luck hon, if you ever want to talk, I'm here. x
Me: 37 Him: 42
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
:BFP: 10th June.
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

lolly801

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 11:35am

Hi Aramass,

I am feeling a bit better about it all i recieved some forms in the post yesterday to have a few blood tests before the referral can be made one of them is to test FSH & LH and the other called oestradiol which has to be done on day 2 -4 of my cycle i'm not sure why they havn't done this before i'm just pleased that things are finally on the move.

Very Best of luck to you too!
^^ xxx
TTC FOR OVER 3+ YEARS
ME & DH BOTH AGE 29

mer123

Reg: Jun 2nd 2010

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 9:06am

- I too am now in the unexplained bracket. Was told that there was no need to give me clomid ass I am already ovulating on my own. So now I have to decide whether I want to ttc (already been about 1 year) or go down IUI after which straight to IVF.

mandymoo

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 10:48am

not posted on this thread for a while as I have now started my first cycle of IVF after being diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I had 2 embies implanted yesterday so I'm on the dreaded 2WW. I still have good days and bad days. One day I feel really positive and think this is going to work for me. The next day I feel so scared that it's not going to be successful. My advice is to just go with the flow and think of IVF as the start of the journey to get your baby. GOOD LUCK!!!

suki

Ace

Reg: Apr 11th 2008

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 6:45pm

Just popped in to say please don't give up hope, we were in the unexplained fertility bracket too and got our DD with our first shot at IVF. Good luck to you all. xxx

nat :BFP: Feb 2008 mc 7wks

IVF April 08 :BFP:
FET April 2010 :BFN:
IVF July 2010 - ET postponed
FET Sept 2010 :BFP:

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" celebrates his birthday today
  • "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 7:16pm

hi hon sorry to read this, have you had any level 1 immune testing? It looks at clotting, chromosomes and thyroid etc and it might be worth getting tested as it could be something easy to solve. x
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 7:27pm

Hi,

I fell into the unexplained bracket. We had a couple of little problems between us but nothing that should have prevented conception for so long, I had my first round of ICSI last year and it worked so please don't give up hope it can and does work.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Grace" (Jun 10th 2010, 7:32pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE