You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 39 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 6:38pm

Prolactin

Hiya,

has anyone been told they may have trouble conceiving due to high prolactin levels?

My early bloods showed me not ovulating and increased levels of prolactin, however after a few more tests my prolactin levls came back normal (this was only once compared to high on several other occasions).

Just wondering if even when taking clomid high prolactin can stop you ovulating as not had prolactin levels tested since on clomid?

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 7:04pm

Hi hun

Can you remember what your levels were and what day you had them taken?

High prolactin can lower your progesterone levels, and depending how high can effect ovulation.

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Reg: Feb 25th 2008

Children: 1 dd

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 9:02pm

Hi Eeyore +Burnzyuk

I am interested in this one myself my prolactin levels are always around 900- 1050 which my Dr says is too high but my consultant never seems to be to bothered about. This result is with my day 21 bloods. I take clomid too but am having the problem that although the clomid makes me ovulate - my af comes too early around cd23 or 24.

Do you think this could be caused by the prolactin?

Ali xx

10 Cycles of clomid - all BFN
IVF Oct/Nov 08 Origin -BFN
2nd IVF OCT 09 -BFN
Shock natural BFP Feb 10

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ALI 27" (Aug 12th 2008, 9:03pm)

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 9:18pm

If you are having trouble getting pregnant, it may have something to do with your hormones. Hormones are special chemicals secreted by the glands in your body; they work on specific body parts in order to ensure proper functioning. Ovulation and menstruation are both triggered by hormone secretion. As a result, infertility is often caused by an imbalance in these hormones. Specifically, the hormone prolactin plays a large role in preventing some women from becoming pregnant.

What is Prolactin?
Prolactin is a chemical that is secreted by your pituitary gland. This is the pea-sized gland found in the middle of your brain, which is responsible for triggering many of your body's processes. Prolactin is found in both men and women and is released at various times throughout the day and night. Prolactin is generally released in order to stimulate milk production in pregnant women. It also enlarges a woman's mammary glands in order to allow her to prepare for breastfeeding.

Hormones that Affect Prolactin
Like many of your body's other processes, the release of prolactin is actually triggered by other hormones. Hormones affecting prolactin include:

• dopamine
• serotonin
• thyroid-producing hormone

Serotonin and thyroid hormone help to increase prolactin release, whereas dopamine works to block prolactin release.

Prolactin and Infertility
Prolactin doesn't just cause your body to increase milk production - it also affects your ovulation and menstrual cycles. This is why it is nearly impossible to become pregnant when you are breastfeeding. (In fact, prolactin is 90% effective against pregnancy in the first months after birth).

Prolactin inhibits two hormones necessary to your ovulation: follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). Both of these hormones are responsible for helping your eggs to develop and mature in the ovaries, so that they can be released during ovulation. When you have excess prolactin in your bloodstream, ovulation is not triggered, and you will be unable to become pregnant. Prolactin may also affect your menstrual cycle and the regularity of your periods.

Prolactin Irregularities
If you are having difficulties becoming pregnant, it may be due to an irregularity in your prolactin levels. If your have elevated prolactin, this can inhibit ovulation and menstruation. Prolactin levels can be determined through a simple blood test. Normal prolactin levels in women are somewhere between 30 and 600 mIU/I. If your levels measure towards the high end of this spectrum or above, you may be suffering from a prolactin irregularity.

Types of Irregularities
There are two main types of prolactin irregularities. It is possible to suffer from both at one time.

Galactorrhea
Galactorrhea is a condition in which you begin to produce milk spontaneouly, without being pregnant or having given birth recently. It is a result of high prolactic levels. Other symptoms include:

• enlarged breasts
• painful or tender breasts
• irregular menstruation
• loss of sex drive
• infertility

Hyperprolactinemia
Hyperprolactinemia literally means too much prolactin in the blood. If you have hyperprolactinemia, you may also have galactorrhea, though this is not always the case. Symptoms of high prolactin levels include:

• prolactin levels at or above 600 mIU/I
• infertility
• irregular menstruation
• headache
• reduced sex drive
• vision problems

Causes of High Prolactin Levels
There are a few things that may be responsible for your prolactin irregularities. In order to treat your infertility, you will need to determine what is at the bottom of your elevated prolactin levels.

Prolactinoma
Prolactinoma is one of the more common causes of prolactin-induced infertility. Prolactinoma causes a tumor to grow on your pituitary gland. This tumor secretes excess prolactin into your body. About 10% of the population have these tumors. They usually do not pose any health risks, besides infertility, though sometimes they can interfere with vision.

Prescription Drugs
Prescription drugs can cause excess secretion of prolactin. Some anti-depressants, painkillers, and opiates block dopamine, preventing prolactin secretion from being inhibited. This can cause your prolactin levels to rise.

Other Causes
Other more rare causes of prolactin irregularities include:

• thyroid disease
• polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
• shingles

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 9:30pm

Hi Ali + Eeyore,

Ali - Your situation sounds very similar to mine - my results were around 800 - 1200 IU.
And also my GP seemed rather concerned but my con tested me 3 times and 2 were high and the last normal and he didnt seem to bother after that.
The dates for my prolactin tests were 5 done on day 21 and 3 done on other days (so many tests as i moved before i was referred to hospital and had to redo all the tests at new docs).

I have also had af come early on 2 occasions with clomid (around day 20 - 21).

Im not sure if prolactin causes the af to come early - i know it can inhibit ovulation and affect menstrual cycles (although im not sure in what way).

Im rather annoyed at myself now for not questioning this more with my con as a possible reason for clomid not working - trying to focus on being very proactive for my app tomorrow.

Eeyore - how does prolactin affect progesterone levels?

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 39 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE