You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Jenine" started this thread

Reg: Mar 2nd 2010

Children: Blessed with two miracles December 2011

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 5:20pm

Am confused with PGD and if i need it.

Hi girls,

I hope one of you can answer my question or help me out. I am suppose to start ICSI in May. My DH has a very very low sperm count. I was reading about ICSI and IVF and they said there are risks of some genetic issues with the babies because there is no natural sperm selection (survival of the fittest kind of thing). I told my doc about my concerns and she recommended PGD which is very expensive! But i don't know if i need it! My doc is really sweet and i don't think she is trying to rip me off. I read on different threads that women with multiple miscarriages need them.

Please help, am confused!

[zx037]
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN
ICSI 3-January 2011 Immune Cycle- BFN (Humira, LIT, Intralipids, IVIG, Clexane, Progesterone & Steroids)
ICSI 4- April 2011 Immune Cycle - Blessed with a :BFP:

Reg: Feb 9th 2009

Children: One precious little son born 2/2/10

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 8:59pm

Hi Jenine Welcome to our family. The reason that most people have PGD is that there is a genetic problem with one or both of the parents. I had PGD as my DH has translocation of genes 3 and 9 which could cause a problem with the baby if it was passed on. I have had one miscarrage and they said that this might have been the cause. The treatment is the same up till and including the ec after that thay biopsy the embryo (take one cell out) and it is checked for the correct genes. They will then only transfer embryos with the correct gene formation. You will need to get probes done for this and they can take a while to do. I haven't heard of people getting it done for other reasons but somebody else may be able to answer better. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck on your journey.

Christine xx

Keep happy and healthy xxx

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 9:04pm

You wont need PGD unless you have a known hereditory genetic condition or like christine a condition which affects your baby and will cause mc every time or severe disabledment.
I have a genetic condition which is very rare and got offered PGD but refused as they couldnt test in this county.

ICSI has a lot of speculation about taking nature out of the sperm selection process but I do not think they have any hard evidence to prove such. I read a study on IVF vs ICSI babies(over 200 from each) and they found no differences in development between the 2 groups.

I understand your worry but I dont think PGD is the answer as normally they are looking for a specific defect wheras you would be clueless just because you have had ICSI

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 8:29am

Hi happy christine :hugs:

Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry but what are probes? I am really new to this. And if i am worried about any genetic issues can we do any testing for that? I am just worried cause we are doing ICSI and paying for it ourselves and i want to make sure we don't go in blindly. It is very expensive here in Dubai. We can't afford to do it again:(

Hi Pammy...again to the rescue with your comforting answers blowkiss If you don't mind me asking, how did u know u had a genetic condition? Where u tested? Sorry if i am asking stupid questions. Am so lost! :headache

Thank you both so much,

luv

J

lurve
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN
ICSI 3-January 2011 Immune Cycle- BFN (Humira, LIT, Intralipids, IVIG, Clexane, Progesterone & Steroids)

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 11:40am

Jenine, there are 2 types of PGD and unless you've chromosomal issues, you wouldn't start with it. I am considering ArrayCGH owing to potential egg quality issues but am exploring immunology first. Array looks at the chromosomes so that embryos with correct chromosomes can be selected for transfer. The best looking embryos aren't always the best chromosomically. Unless you've had reason to suspect issues as outlined above or egg quality, this isn't for you at the mo. Keep the dosh in the purse hun!

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 1:58pm

Thank you sammy! blowkiss
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 5:39pm

Jenine Probes are when they look at your chromosomes and make up markers to look for in a cell and then they can see that the chromosomes are correct. I know in glasgow they only look for the chromosomes that are abnormal in the parent and the don't check for down syndrom or any thing else. It was discovered when my DH had routine bloods done for our treatment. I personally don't think from what you have said that you need PGD so I agree with sammy and say keep your money. Hope that this helps.

Christine x

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 7:29pm

Jenine I have osteogenesis Imperfecta which was diagnosed when I was a month old, Its basically brittle bones but in a much different way that I dont have in my family history at all. They gave me a 50/50 chance of passing it on so this is how I know about my condition.

I agree you dont need PGD as unless you are looking for something specific its impossible to test for everything.

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 10:42am

Thank you all so much!

I def. will tell my doc that i don't want to go through with PGD!

Am so excited i start ICSI in 2 days instead of May! Cause my DH cancelled his business trip! AF is arriving any day now and i start DR CD1 and CD2 we start stimming and since am on short protocol EC after 10-11 if all goes well!

:pray: i hope all goes well...am scared, excited , happy nervous!

thank u guys again! blowkiss
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 8:50pm

Jenine I wish you all the best for your treatment and I hope that all goes well and that you get a BFP.

Christine xx

Friday, April 16th 2010, 1:49pm

Thank you so much Christine blowkiss
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN