You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 15 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "lisabessent" started this thread

Reg: May 21st 2009

Children: one girl aged 5

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 6:51pm

low sperm count

Ive just found this section as been to hospital today and DH results low!!!

concentration : 7million
motility : 63%
morphology : 6%

I think the last one right. the Dr concerned and wnats to repeat the test, will it be different then? My hubby drinks coffee, smokes and has lager occasionally!!!
Is this why we been TTC for over a year, but he smoked when we conceived our little girl??

Lisa
Lisa :happy:

Me : 35 (egg donor)

DH : 37 Low sperm count

ICSI : Novemeber 2010

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 10:46pm

RE: low sperm count

Hi Lisa,

As you realise this result is less than ideal. Nevertheless the sperm he has are fertility ones as you have proved, which is something that many, many couples on FZ, even those which much higher counts etc, cannot say.

A specimen like this could very easily get you pregnant again, so you must not start to panic, even though the count is below the normal range of 20 million. His motility is very good although a more efficient laboratory would have included information about how good this motility was. The importance of the morphology result depends upon the criteria used to assess this. By world health criteria it is much below the 25% normal level, but with the newer and more accurate Kruger Criteria the normal level goes down to around 8%, so his result is quite close to normal.

It is important to examine more than one specimen as the sperm output can vary widely from day to day and month to month. So a repeat specimen withing the next month would be useful. If this is no different then a further specimen in three months time is necessary, as stress, viral infections, drinking, over-heating, plus many other things, can all affect sperm production, and it takes 2-3 months to recover from this.

One in ten of all pregnancies to fertilie couples takes more than a year to be conceived, even though another child for the couple may happen very quickly. So it is far to early to think that this will not happen naturally. If you are adequately fertile then this sperm picture will do the job. However it is important that you have some hormone tests to check that you are ovulating, even if you still have a good, regular cycle.

So keep trying naturally, making love right through the cycles, every two to three days. This keeps the sperm picture at its best, and ensures that you never miss oculation. Don't get too involved with timing, this is stressful and reduce male and female fertility.

Good luck,

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

• "lisabessent" started this thread

Reg: May 21st 2009

Children: one girl aged 5

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 7:52am

Thankyou, I guess Im inpatient having caught within 3 months for last 2 pregnancies ( one resulted in miscarriage) we are seeing the consultant in 3 months so will keep trying
Does stress make you less fertile? Im on a degree in 6 months so permanenty stressed!!! this finishes in september so will maybe relax then!!

Lisa
Lisa :happy:

Me : 35 (egg donor)

DH : 37 Low sperm count

ICSI : Novemeber 2010

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Reg: Apr 16th 2008

Children: One amazing daughter born 14/4/11

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 9:20am

Hi hun,

I cant give you all the in's and out's but it does seem low.

My DP has a low sperm count too.

Why not post something in Male Factor? You will get some useful answers in there

xx

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Wednesday, July 15th 2009, 10:43am

Sperm results

Hiya,

If you pop into Male Factor - then Paul or someone else will pop up and help you out.

My DH had counts of 3 million and 9 million I think - and I'm afraid we needed ICSI.

The 63% is okay though I think. That's how mobile they are.

And the 6% is probably the morphology rating - it's the percentage of "normally formed" sperm. I know 6% normal forms sounds low, but actually, apparently, they make so many sperm, an awful lot of them are "seconds" anyway! So actually 6% isn't as bad as it maybe sounds. At one point my poor DH had 0% normal forms. I think they like it to be around 15%.

Also - bear in mind, sperm quantity and quality can vary a great deal between tests. My DH had massively wide ranging results - even getting a count of over 20 million at one point! Apparently it takes about 70 days to make sperm, so if he's been unwell whilst producing this particular batch of sperm, or he'd had a long session in the pub, then that may be all that is affecting things. Basically - he has to be a good boy now! Not too much booze!!

Have a chat with Paul - he's so helpful and he knows EVERYTHING! And if you find the results are bad news, feel free to PM me or something, I know I felt like the world had been pulled out from under me when we'd had two bad sperm results in a row. Hoping yours is a one off and that they come back right for you at the next test.

Love loads, Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 15 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE