You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "bonnie" started this thread

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Children: 1

Monday, April 5th 2010, 9:20pm

advice on HLA-B27 positive & BFP

Hi ladies,

I've just got a BFP (ICSI) and having read up on the immunological issues I realise that I am at risk of mc as I have arthritis and HLA-B27 positive. I did ask the clinic before tx if having an auto-immune disease could cause complications and they said that it's not known entirely and I am at the same risks as others. From what i've read it doesn't seem to be true and many people have special immuno tx during and after IVF. The clinic hasn't suggested any immmune tests but I start to worry that my journey will end pretty soon. Could someone advise me what I should be asking from my doctor? ?o(

My Diary

1# ICSI: Jan 2009 (Create): :BFN:
2# ICSI: March 2010 (Wessex): :BFP: - early loss
3# ICSI: Nov 2010 (ARGC): :BFP:
6 & 7 wk scan :heart: :heart: seen
8,9,10 wk scan :heart: seen
Immune issues

ruthie

Superstar

• "ruthie" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Children: 3 angels looking after us.

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 1:04pm

Hi Bonnie,

big congrats on your BFP. Firstly to say do not worry. The evidence regarding immunological issues and m/c isn't clear and many people have auto immune diseases and no problems carrying to term. For some women with recurrent m/c histories immune issues will be considered but those having tx will almost all be those who have previously had multiple losses. To put things in context I have v high TNF levels which my clinic believe can be linked to m/c and to control this I am taking Humira which is usually used for rheumatoid arthritis. My TNF levels are extremely high but I have no clinical auto immune disease. My best friend has RA, diabetes, asthmaand multiple allergies as well as a father with RA and a mother with lupus. She has had 3 children with no problems at all.

It is very complex and I don't think it's as simple as you being higher risk because of auto immune disease.

I would ask your cons for the actual stats. What percentage of women with your condition will m/c and how does this compare to the average population of women? This is really the only info that could tell you categorically whether you are at increased risk. If this info isn't known I would hang in there and get monitored closely.
Bear in mind that the immune system plays an important role in implantation so suppressing it too much may be counterproductive.
Also are you on any mess currently for your arthritis as this will affect what they can give you.

Lastly really don't worry too much. Getting pg is the first goal, the chances are that this will be a happy healthy pregnancy.

Xxx

• "bonnie" started this thread

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Children: 1

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 6:12pm

Thank you Ruthie. Your kind words have calmed me down. I will call my rheumatologist tomorrow to ask for advice as I stopped my meds before the tx started and have had acupuncture instead. I've had no flare-ups thank god, just odd pains. Now juts counting the days to my scan. smile2

My Diary

1# ICSI: Jan 2009 (Create): :BFN:
2# ICSI: March 2010 (Wessex): :BFP: - early loss
3# ICSI: Nov 2010 (ARGC): :BFP:
6 & 7 wk scan :heart: :heart: seen
8,9,10 wk scan :heart: seen
Immune issues