You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Sun Flower

Superstar

• "Sun Flower" started this thread

Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 1:56pm

Is a fresh followed by a frozen classed as 2 cycles?

Hi
I am currenlty in a war with my local PCT re: funding. We self funded a fresh and frozen cycle last year and now we have no money left and lots of debts! so our only way forward is with the help of the NHS

My Gp has sent a referral letter asking for the criteria, I have received a response today which states that we meet all criteris expect "couples who have already received 2 or more treatments, regardless of how funded or self funded are not eligable" my Gp has stated in the letter that we have had 2 cycles, but I disagree, we have had one full fresh cycle (EC, ET etc..) and a Frozen Embryo transfer which I do not class as a full cycle? If I can get my Gp to change his terminology and realise that we have really only paid for one `full complete cycle` then we would meet the criteria and be refered. I am so frustarted with all of this, I am sat her now, so close to tears :S

I have called my Gp and made another appt for next Wed, I have one week to seek some clarification on this.......any help or advice would be really nice and helpful

Thank you xx

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 5:18pm

Hi Sun Flower

I don't really know the answer but wanted to say I'm sorry its all so difficult for you at the moment.

I would think that everybody views this differently and the opinion of GPs and PCTs will vary too.

I've now sat here for a few minutes trying to decide what I think. And I really don't know! Maybe your GP could just clarify one as a 'full' treatment and the other as a 'frozen''?

Good luck. I hope you get the outcome you want.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Billie

Megastar

Reg: Oct 13th 2005

Children: Moving on from TX. Dedicating our lives to each other and fur-babies.

Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 6:14pm

You need to get on to him and get him to change it hun.
I know its a different PCT but in East of England, fresh cycles are counted as the proper cycles not the frozen ones.
Here they give you 3 cycles on NHS and upto 6 collections (so a mixture of fresh and frozen).
Me 38, DH 39
TTC for 8 years +
1st IVF & FET= No Transfer
4 x BFN

"Some days you're the dog........Most days you're the tree"

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 6:22pm

Hi Sunflower,

I am under Wiltshire PCT and we are lucky enough to get 3 funded cycles. I had 2 natural frozen cycles using embryos from the full cycle and this was all classed as one cycle. I hope you get some answers an it goes your way.

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Sun Flower

Superstar

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 3:48pm

Thanks ladies
I have an appt with my GP on Wed, although I am going to call Monday and see if I can get in then, as I am off work that day, so less stress and more time to prepare my thoughts before arriving

will keep you posted, I totally agree with what you have all said, it seems they should class it as 1 cycle, I hope they do. fingers crossed xxx

Reg: Nov 12th 2008

Children: One gorgeous little boy 2011

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 5:18pm

Yes I agree with the others, a full cycle is finished when all of your embryos are used up from the original egg collection. Then you start all over again with a fresh cycle. I only learnt this myself when my cousin started IVF. Silly doctor :rolleyes:

Me 36 DF 30
TTC since 97
Dec 2010 IVF :BFP:

one :heart: seen 6+3 & 11+2 & 13+2 &20+2

bab22

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 5th 2008

Children: Yes please!

Saturday, March 6th 2010, 3:36pm

Hi Sunflower

Sorry that you are having to go through all this trying to get funding. It's bad enough having to go through tx. I would say that 1 cycle is the fresh cycle plus FETs using up the embryos from that fresh cycle. I know that different PCTs view this differently. I also fall under Wiltshire who used to only give 1 fresh cycle and didn't include the FETs. I had one fresh cycle on the NHS and then paid for 3 FETs. After that the rules changed and Wiltshire now allow 3 fresh cycles, including any FETs. We were just in time to get our second fresh cycle on the NHS again.

I really think that you should be entitled to another fresh cycle including FETs. Goodluck with your GP. If you don't get anywhere try going directly to the PCT to find out their exact definition of what 1 cycle is.
Beanie5
Me 38 [zx076] DH 43
(ICSI x 4, FET x 6 - 2 early losses)
Tx no. 10 - Immune Protocol through Dr Gorgy :BFP:
MY DIARY

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 11:33am

Thanks Beanie & Shelbie

I did call the PCT and they were unable to tell me what they classed a 1 cycle :cross:
I will call again tomorrow, also going to see GP tomorrow, really nervous, just want to get it over with now, and I want them to say `yes, you can have a funded cycle` just one would be fab, we are not greedy at all, we have self funded all the way until now, so to get just one go on the NHS would be amazing

this is driving me a bit crazy........will update tomorrow xfingers

xx

Sun Flower

Superstar

Monday, March 8th 2010, 4:36pm

Hi ladies

managed to get GP appt today at 3:30pm. The appt went well, Gp was in a good mood (not always, so I made the most of it) he agreed to send another letter explaining the exact details which I told him as - 1 EC, with 5 embryos, 2 transferred, 3 frozen, then all 3 thawed, and 2 survivers were transffered - as one complete cycle - NOT 2. He did the letter there and then, so I was pleased that I heard the content, I also requsted that the very helpful lady at the PCT who understands my case, is sent a copy and he agreed to this too.

I said it felt like a big game and we were just jumping through hoops - and again he agreed.......so for now I have to do the thing I find most difficult - sit and wait!! I am very Patient!!!!!!!!!!!!! [zx062] :snigger: and yes I will be calling every day until they send it and the calling every day until the PCT receive it and then waiting for the post man every day for my decision letter!!!! the agony continues.................. :rollseyes:

Sun Flower

Superstar

Monday, March 29th 2010, 7:16pm

Just wanted to update this thread.......many emails and phone calls later.................

the PCT have agreed that my fresh followed by a frozen is classed as one cycle and not two

[zx014]

so pleased with the result, it was really worth the battle over the last few months. So it looks like we meet all criteria and all that is needed now is one final trip to our GP for him to officially refer us to the clinic (not our original clinic, a different NHS one) but who cares - its FREE!!!!!

feel like we have won the lottery :laugh:

we now face an agonising wait as we know the NHS dont do things quickly, but we are just so happy that things have gone in our favour (for once at last! looks like our luck might be changing)

thumbs up for the PCT thumbup :laugh:

andrea75

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Monday, March 29th 2010, 7:33pm

aww Sunflower, im so happy for you! [zx126]

you must be so happy to finally get the news you wanted?

xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE