You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Flic

• "Flic" started this thread
  • Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, March 6th 2010, 4:22pm

Episiotomy questions!

Hello,

I am healing after a big cut but they have taken my stitches out and are leaving it to heal on its own. The midwife has said that it is likely that I'll need it fixing in a few months. I just wondered if anyone else has been through this?

Does anyone know how long it will take to heal? And what they do when they repair me?! I'm guessing that they'll cut me again and re do it.

The midwife said that I won't know how its healed until we have sex. I'm actually dreading this cos I'm scared its going to be so different to before. She said that even though is is going to be a cosmetic thing I don't want to have any flappy bits or anything like that down there.

I can feel my pelvic floor and can stop peeing mid pee which I guess is a good sign. I'm not leaking any pee either. And its not bleeding as much. It was bleeding constantly when the stitches were in.

The midwife said that I do have a vaginal opening and then the cut which is open, you can see the muscles though.

Has anyone else had this? Will it be ok? I'm just a bit worried about it all.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 10:01am

Hey Flic,

Sorry your having this worry. I also had an episiotomy but have been ok after it - although i will be honest and say im still too scared / shattered to try BD.
I do have a friend though that also had one and had to go in for 'reconstruction' as it didnt heal properly, they discovered the problem when attemping to BD for the first time, but once it was all sorted she was absolutwly fine and now has a second baby. The op just involved them 'fixing' and 'tidying' everything up but caused no problems long term.
Im sure you will also be ok

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 10:21am

Hi Flic,

I had a 2nd degree tear (not as bad as your one) and I opted to let it heal naturally without stitches. It was OK at the 6 week marker but didn't really heal properly for another 2/3 weeks. I have been left with a small ridge of scar tissue but you can't really feel it unless your looking for it. If it lines up nicely (as mine did) then it should heal on its own but it might take 10 weeks or more depending on the size as it heals from the inside out. I'm not sure why the mw said you can't tell if its healed until you have sex as they can tell if it healed, if it's fully together, not painful, no longer red and stays together when gently pulled apart then it's healed!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 11:20am

Hi,

Thanks for that. I feel a bit more reassured now.

Grace, the miwdife did say that it was lining up so hopefully it will heal ok.

And Jane - Thanks for the info about your friend, its good to know that they can just 'reconstruct' it and it will be ok.

Feel a bit more positive. To be honest I'm pleased to just be out of pain and be able to sit down, all be it it hurts but once I'm comfy its ok.

Think I got a bit paranoid that I'd end up with a huge hole!!

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Monday, March 8th 2010, 8:36am

Flic, just wanted to share that a friend of mine had a nasty tear with her first baby. She healed reasonably quickly but noticed once she started BD'ing again that all was not quite right. Unfortunately it was discovered that the doc who stitched her up handn't done such a good job, so they booked her in for cosmetic reconstruction and just re-cut, removed a bit of old scar tissue and re-stitiched properly. She was healed within a couple of weeks and went on to have 2 more children! Apparently it's a fairly simple procedure and of course you don't feel a thing this time around!

Hope things heal for you properly though and you don't need to have it done again

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, March 8th 2010, 9:16am

Thanks Claire, thats reassuring. The scary thing is it was a cons who delivered Tilly and cut me and stitched me!! (not my own cons, but still!)

In a way I'd like it to heal quick so we can bd and find out whats going on!! Is that a bit wrong!?

Its good to know that its quite simple.

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Monday, March 8th 2010, 9:22am

I think that you're bits are really swollen and bruised after delivery so it's harder for them to get it right. Obviously when you go in for your repair you won't have all that so it will be 1. easier and 2. less painful (I hope!!!!)

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, March 8th 2010, 9:36am

Phiippa, I never though about them being swollen or anything. I guess that makes sense really. They would be swollen after having forceps and ventouse stuffed in there and then a baby pulled out!!

The this is it is sooooo much less painful now the stitches are out. Its actually amazing. I do still need the painkillers but they do actually take the edge off now and enable me to sit down and do stuff. Plus I can let the midwife touch it and not scream in agony which is great!!