TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, March 24th 2009, 8:19pm

Hi Lizzy

One of our members was a regular runner and was running on the treadmill the morning she gave birth!! She's posted in this thread

Exercise during PG

and

Gym?!

Also, I've copied our guidlines for you from the thread below

PREGNANCY & LIFESTYLE - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Hope that helps!

Quoted

Originally posted by Eeyore
What exercise can I do when pregnant?

Keeping active while you're pregnant will help you stay fit and toned, making it easier to get back into shape after birth. However, it is important to check with your GP or midwife before starting an exercise programme.

You can continue to take part in most activities during the first trimester of your pregnancy (months 1-3), but may need to stop vigorous exercise as your pregnancy continues. For example, because of the risk of injury caused by falling off, you should only continue horse riding in pregnancy if you are a professional or an expert. Horse riding is also a jerky, bouncy activity that can put a lot of strain on the ligaments that support the womb.

Sports such as skiing, squash and hockey should also be avoided because of the risk of injuries and shocks. This can increase your risk of miscarriage even if you're otherwise fit and healthy.
If you do decide to exercise during your pregnancy, symptoms that may indicate possible complications with your pregnancy include:
• dizziness or headaches,
• chest pains or heart palpitations (when you notice an irregular heartbeat),
• severe or rapid swelling or your hands, feet or face,
• vaginal pains, bleeding, or contractions, or
• having difficulty walking.
If you experience any of the above symptoms stop exercising and see your GP or midwife immediately.
Exercise and activities recommended during your pregnancy include, walking, swimming, and yoga.

What activities should I avoid?

If you're enjoying a normal, healthy pregnancy, it's a good idea to carry on doing some exercise, providing that you're not undertaking a strenuous new regime. However, you should check with your GP, or midwife, that exercising won't pose a risk for your specific medical situation.

Cycling is a good activity to do while pregnant, but it isn't usually recommended after the second trimester of pregnancy (after 26 weeks) due to the risk of falls. However, you can use an exercise bike for as long as you like.

Avoid dangerous and strenuous activitiesThere are certain activities that aren't recommended for pregnant women. For example, you should avoid activities that involve high altitudes, such as mountaineering, or hot air ballooning, because the change in oxygen levels may trigger premature labour.

You should also avoid activities where there is a risk of hard falls, or where you might be thrown off balance, such as horse riding, gymnastics, or water skiing. Strenuous activities, or those that involve a decrease in your oxygen levels, such as hiking, scuba diving, or alpine skiing, are also best avoided while pregnant.

Extreme sports, such as hang-gliding, skydiving, and bungee jumping should also be avoided because they may pose a health risk to you and your baby.

Fairground rides, such as roller coasters, can be dangerous if you're pregnant because the rapid stops and starts may cause damage to your womb (uterus). Most rides at theme parks and funfairs have signs that advise pregnant women not to go on them.

Working and work hazardsIf you work in an environment that exposes you to chemicals, radiation, X-rays or lead you may be putting your baby at risk. The same is true if you have a job that involves a lot of heavy lifting.

If you have concerns you should discuss them with your GP, midwife, occupational health nurse, union representative or Human Resources department.

If your work involves a known and recognised risk it may be illegal for you continue, and your employer must offer you suitable alternative work on terms and conditions that are not substantially less favourable than your original job. If no safe alternative is available, your employer should suspend you on full pay for as long as necessary to avoid any risk.

If you are working during pregnancy you may find that you get very tired during the first and last weeks of pregnancy. Try to use any break to rest, relax and eat.

If you are currently working a '9-5' schedule it may be a good idea to ask your employer to modify your hours so you do not have to travel during the rush hour, which can prove stressful and tiring for some women.

Some women are worried that exposure to VDUs (Visual Display Units on computers) may affect their baby. The latest research shows no evidence of any risk.

DrivingThere are no reasons why you cannot continue to drive for most of your pregnancy. However, you should take rest breaks every 90 minutes as this will prevent your ankles or legs swelling and cramping.

When driving, you should always wear a seatbelt with the diagonal strap across your body between your breasts and the lap belt over your upper thighs. The straps should lie above and below your 'bump', not over it.

Airbags should be safe as long as you are wearing a seatbelt. Safety experts recommend that you should move your seat as far away from the steering wheel as possible as this will allow room for the airbag to inflate correctly.

You should make sure that you are prepared for a possible breakdown. Keep a supply of food, water, blankets, warm clothes and a torch in a car. Carry a mobile phone with you at all time if possible. If you are not already a member, you should consider joining a car breakdown recovery service.

SEARCH WORDS

EXERCISE SPORT ACTIVE DURING PREGNANCY PREGNANT
DRIVING DURING PREGNANCY PREGNANT

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Reg: Apr 13th 2009

Children: Bourn

Monday, July 27th 2009, 9:30am

Exercise DVDs

Good Morning ladies

Now that I am 13 weeks, I want to start a fitness programme. Unfortunately my local area doen't have much to cater for pregnant mums so I am looking at purchasing a DVD. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sonia
Me 31 DH 38
TTC 3 years
Male factor
1st ICSI Apr/May 09: BFP:
1st Scan 22 June 09: One amazing [zx076] found
2nd Scan 28 July 09: perfect baby
20 week scan 9 Sept 09: Healthy baby boy

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 11:06pm

Hi Sonia,
Sorry no-one replied (we must be a lazy lot :snigger:)
I'm afraid I'm no help on the exercise DVD front, but am a big fan of walking. Plus its lovely and safe in pregnancy too. Maybe you could try getting one of these pedometers and seeing if you can gradually increase the number of steps you take every day?
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Jo101

Star

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: None yet

Monday, February 8th 2010, 6:28pm

How much exercise are you doing?

Just need a bit of reassurance here. Until I started DR in Nov I used to go to the gym about 3 times a week but I have not been since. I would really like to go again but am a bit scared... I was just wondering what other people are doing?
I am now 10w 2d.
Ta,

Jo x

2nd IVF :BFP:

kd40

Ace

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: One cheeky boy

Monday, February 8th 2010, 6:55pm

Hello Jo

I used to do a 30 minute walk a day and 20 minutes cross training before I started the IVF - I cut out the cross training, but still do 30 minutes or more walking every day. That and cleaning the house - which is good exercise!

I think whatever you're comfortable with will be fine - don't start anything new or over the top - but you could try the gym and just take things steady - I'm sure your body will say what you can and can't do - Best thing to do would be to talk to your doctor about it - they give the best (if sometimes general) advice.
:BFP: Dec 2009 - IVF 1st try - our little miracle!
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

Reg: Oct 20th 2009

Children: none

Monday, February 8th 2010, 7:30pm

Hey
I'm normally very active, but also have done nothing except walk. I usually love to run, and am getting a pair of nordic walking poles to use instead. This is good cv exercise and I hope to use them walking the dogs!! Will not push things though, kinda waiting for the 12 weeks.... I'm also 10 weeks. I work as an outdoor instructor and am on light duties at the mo. but think I will go back to most things except canoeing and climbing where I have to wear a harness and kinda mad river jumping activities!! My bump may decide for me otherwise so I'll just have to see... Good luck. I read that you shouldn't get too out of breathe or exercise to exhaustion. My friend went through icis last year and went to the gym 1-2 a week up to due date - she changed the level of activity and just used it to maintain fitness rather than get fit.
Katie
2007-2008 - 6Xclomid - no ovulation
Dec 2008 - IVF - :BFN:
Dec 2009 - ICIS - :BFP:
babydust

Jo101

Star

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: None yet

Monday, February 8th 2010, 8:51pm

Thanks for your replies girls. It has given me a bit more confidence.
Will give the climbing a miss thought :faint:
Jo x

2nd IVF :BFP:

kd40

Ace

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: One cheeky boy

Tuesday, February 9th 2010, 9:27am

This is what Pampers sent me this morning

Guidelines for safe and effective exercise
GET MOVING! Regular exercise during pregnancy is good for you and your baby. It increases blood circulation between the two of you, helps to alleviate some pregnancy discomforts, and improves your energy levels and moods. You can carry on with most forms of exercise if you follow simple rules. Here are some suggestions:

• Exercise at least three times a week for no more than 30 minutes at a time.
  • Avoid forced, passive stretches, such as reaching for your toes. Also avoid jerking or bouncing movements.
  • Limit aerobic activity to the low-impact variety, like brisk walking, swimming, or riding a stationary excerise bicycle.
  • Protect your abdominal and lower-back muscles by using good posture and by avoiding exercises that will strain them, like sit-ups.
  • Measure your heart rate at peak activity to be sure you're not exceeding 140 beats per minute.
  • Always include a warm-up and cool-down period.

Remember if you want to continue with the same exercise routines you were involved in before you became pregnant, check with your GP and midwife that they are still suitable.
:BFP: Dec 2009 - IVF 1st try - our little miracle!
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Thursday, February 11th 2010, 1:57pm

hi

my exercise regime involoves loading the dishwasher, loading washing machine and running around after my 2 yr old. other than that the sofa looks pretty good to me from where im standing. :snigger:

never did much before pg, apart from housework, shopping and 2 yr old, so i'll be bu**ered if im going to start now lol

xxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

2mums

Star

Reg: Jun 28th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son

Thursday, February 11th 2010, 2:47pm

I did weekly aerobics before IVF, but gave it up after EC. At the moment I'm just doing a whole lot of brisk walking - about an hour and a half a day including my walk to/from work and walking my dogs. My doc said it's fine to continue with whatever exercise I was doing before getting pg but even the thought of the aerobics made me tired in the first trimester! Now tha tI'm starting to get some energy back I'm thinking about buying a pregnancy workout DVD, there's a Davina one I've got my eye on.

If you're not sure, check with your midwife/doctor, but as long as you listen to your body and don't overdo things, you should be fine.

ICSI Apr09 BFN
ICSI Jul09 BFP m/c (blighted ovum)
ICSI Nov09 :BFP:
:boy:

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Thursday, February 11th 2010, 3:26pm

I used to do approx 3.5hrs of hockey per week plus the occasional bout in the gym (about once a week) but had to give it up once I started Stimming. That was at Christmas and I've been itching to do something ever since. I saw my doc last week and he said I was fine to go back to the gym but as I'm only 6wks to stick to the treadmil for brisk walking and the exercise bike but on a gentle programme. Nothing that would pull or strain my abdomen would be fine. He also recommended swimming but I can't stand it so giving that a miss. I'm so far just taking the dog for a walk for about 30-45mins each day across the fields so I'm getting out of breath but nothing major. I believe you can get pregnancy yoga dvd's which I might invest in when I'm a bit further along.

Exercise is brilliant for early pregnancy and gets the blood flowing to your uterus so is usually recommended, but don't take up anything new or strenuous. I have a friend that did Aerobics about 4 times a week before falling pg so was generally very fit. She continued right the way up to her due date and now has a healthy 1 yr old daughter!

Happy sweating!

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE