Ros

Megastar

• "Ros" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, January 8th 2010, 12:37pm

anaemia in 3rd tri with twins

Hey ladies,

I have just received a letter from my hospital saying I am anaemic, the blood test was 17th Dec so it's taken them this long to tell me this. Does anyone know if Hb 10.3 mcv 92.7 is very anaemic or just slightly, and should I be concerned? I have been eating lots of red meat and green veges over Christmas and have what I think is a good diet so it doesn't make sense to me.
Should I just buy any old iron tablets from a pharmacy or wait until my antenatal next Wed to find out what they recommend. I was on pregnacare until a few weeks ago too.
Could this anaemia be linked to my babies being a small within the range? If it is then I'm off to Tesco to buy a dinner of steak and brussels sprouts! (or rather I would if I had the energy to get the snow off the car!).
Thank you x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, January 8th 2010, 12:54pm

Hiya Ros,
As you know, anaemia is really common in pregnancy (due to your red blood cells effectively being "diluted" by all the extra fluid in you). It wouldn't affect the growth of your babies in anyway, but it might make you feel tired and out of breath. It is hard to absorb iron from iron-rich foods (even PopEye would struggle to do this!) But I say have the steak and sprouts anyway :yumyum:

An Hb of 10 isn't too low at this stage. If it was me, I'd wait until Wednesday (or ask your GP/midwife). They might want to prescribe you some iron supplements. Take care because iron bungs you up (so be proactive - drink lots and ramp up fibre intake). If you do start taking extra iron supplements, you might want to take them with some orange juice, the ascorbic acid is which is meant to increase the bioavailabilty of iron. (Just wanted to say bioavailability :snigger: )

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Mavis" (Jan 8th 2010, 1:44pm)

Ros

Megastar

Friday, January 8th 2010, 12:59pm

Thanks Willopants, knew you'd be on the ball with this. I don't think I'd get a GP appointment much before Wed anyway so I'll wait until then. I have been reading up on it on the net. I do feel tired alot, especially as I can't sleep well now, but I have put that down to be being a lazy so and so these days!

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, January 8th 2010, 1:07pm

I hope you are getting lots of rest in!
I don't know what my Hb is doing, but I found out that my BP shoots through the roof after going up the stairs and I'm panting like I've just run a marathon. Our bodies are under quite a lot of strain.

To help you sleep better, have you tried lots and lots of pillows? Just regular pillows. I've got two maternity/nursing pillows, but I find that I am most comfortable if I lie on my left side and have:
- a pillow wedged under my bump
- a pillow bent in half between by legs
- at least 4 pillows under my upper back and head

(!)

Sounds crazy, but I find it works because its easy to adjust. Which is good because it all goes to pieces because i need to visit the bathroom every 2-3 hours.

M
x

My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mavis" (Jan 8th 2010, 1:44pm)

Ros

Megastar

Friday, January 8th 2010, 1:17pm

I haven't tried the pillow thing yet, I don't think there is room in our bed! Last night I roamed the house until 1.30am and tried to sleep on the sofa, then I remembered we had a spare room and went in there. I think half of the problem is that I am paranoid about disturbing DH's sleep as he's at work. Also the puppy wakes up and wants to play every time I need the loo in the night - that's starting to get alot now.
I do sleep on my sides but am paranoid that one baby is squashing the other and preventing growth so I have to change over to give each of them a break every so often. Sorry if I sound nuts! x

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, January 8th 2010, 1:28pm

You are so much nicer than me - my poor DH has to balance on the tiny slither of bed that is left for him. Oh, and he has no pillows :O

I'm glad that at least someone (puppy!) is enjoying all those bathroom visits!

I'm not going to comment on the squashing of babies because I think that would be a medical first. The only thing you can squash is the vena cava, and by lying on your sides you are not doing that. For what its worth, I think I do have more energy now? It's hard to say because I am so inactive now (bump is same size but heavy and pressing downwards). So I hope you do get some energy back, and that if you start on the iron tablets that they help you too.

M
x

My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mavis" (Jan 8th 2010, 1:44pm)

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Friday, January 8th 2010, 1:35pm

Hi Ros, I don't know anything about anaemia, but I am the same about worrying about squashing one baby when lying on my side. So I'm nuts too! I switch sides, but I have to or my hips hurt. I have a long breast-feeding pillow which goes along my back (to stop me rolling onto my back but doesn't always work) and between my legs (to ease the hip ache). I also have a bump pillow to support the bump as that kind of flops downwards. DH and I have separate duvets. That's what Germans normally do, which I found very cold and unromantic, so we had one duvet at first. I soon got fed up though because DH would roll over in his sleep, taking the cover with him, and the cover dragging over me always woke me up, so I was converted! Anyway.... with 2 duvets, it means that now I can flip the covers around while arranging pillows every time I get up, without disturbing DH.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, January 8th 2010, 1:41pm

Ok I will say it - you cannot squash babies :!: :snigger:

Clair, that is so interesting about the double duvet thing. I love finding out little things like that about other countries. I haven't been to Germany yet but would LOVE to go.

M
x

My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mavis" (Jan 8th 2010, 1:43pm)

Ros

Megastar

Friday, January 8th 2010, 1:56pm

I wasn't worrried about me squashing the babies, just one baby on top of the other when I'm on my side. Either way I do have to keep telling myself that I'm being silly about it !

Claire, what a fab idea - 2 duvets - I had never considered that either.

Will try the pillow thing you both recommend this eve too, it's the weekend so I don't have to think about DH getting up for work :) x

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, January 8th 2010, 2:40pm

Hiya hun.

I am already anaemic and have been on iron tablets for a few weeks. My doctor wasn't at all concerned about it because it is so common and can be treated. I don't think you can buy the sort of iron you need over the counter and will need a prescription for them. In case your doctor forgets to warn you, its a real shocker but be prepared for your poo to turn black (sorry, TMI!).

I am really sorry that we missed our chocolate fondue because of the weather and I hope you are taking care of yourself and are not walking about on the slippery pavements (I have already fallen over once). I am planning a day off work sometime in the next few weeks and I would love to come and visit before your babies arrive. Of course once mine are born the four of them have to be best friends forever so I hope to see you lots and lots.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Newly Wed" (Jan 8th 2010, 2:41pm)

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Friday, January 8th 2010, 2:55pm

Ok I will say it - you cannot squash babies :!: :snigger:
Are you sure? :snigger: I meant the same as Ros, one baby squashing the other.

Here's another interesting :snigger: fact about German bedding. They have square instead of rectangular pillows so about twice the size of a UK pillow, and you only get one. I hate them! Whatever you do to them (folding, squashing), it's impossible to get them nice and comfy, so that's one thing we don't have.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Ros

Megastar

Friday, January 8th 2010, 6:16pm

would you like a parcel of UK pillows sent to you in Germany Claire?! I'm sure it can be arranged. Or else you have already thought of that and taken a load of UK ones there ... :)

NW, I was hoping to find another date to meet sometime soon but what with this weather making me stay in I don't want to commit to anything this/ next week. Hopefully a thaw will start later next week so I will have time to get out before the babies arrive. I'm sure they will all be good friends, maybe we could take them to see Mr K together! I was just wondering last night how on earth we'd get two double buggies into town to meet....?!
p.s. thanks for the poo warning!

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, January 8th 2010, 7:33pm

It will be great to go and see Mr K together....a joint visit to the ACU with 4 babies will really rock the place!!!! And we have to go for cake in Ledenhall Market too.

Take care and don't worry about a new date until the weather has cleared up, and at this rate you will probably have gone full term and given birth by then!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, January 8th 2010, 10:06pm

Quoted

Quoted from "Mavis"
Ok I will say it - you cannot squash babies

Quoted

Quoted from "Claire_A"
Are you sure? I meant the same as Ros, one baby squashing the other.

I am very, very sure!!!
But you don't need to trust a fat fairy, ask your consultant. And if he/she says any different, I'll eat my wand! :snigger:

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, January 12th 2010, 2:57am

Hi Ros,

I was anaemic from the first tri onwards, I took the iron pills the Dr prescribed which didn't make that much difference but I also took Spatone which is a natural ironised water and that did make a difference after about a month. You dilute it in orange juice as Vit C aids absorbtion (and it tastes like c*ap on its own) and also avoid dairy, eggs and coffee when you take it as these all hinder absorbtion of iron.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Tuesday, January 12th 2010, 8:20am

Hi Ros :wave:

Hope you get something sorted at your appt tomorrow. I'm still on Pregaday which was first prescribed to me by my consultant at 12 weeks and pretty sure i'll remain on it for the duration. I remember discretely asking Moonshine about the side effects black poo as it freaked me out!! When we say black, we mean black!!

As Mavis said above i think, it's unlikely eating a popeye style diet will change things but definitely go for it if it makes you feel you're contributing. Don't forget with steak to have it well done though, a reason enough for me not to have had it for 7 months!!

I only had my hb looked at again last wednesday but hopefully am ok. I too have been tired but under no illusions that carrying twinnybobs is jolly hard work the further you go anaemic or not!

I did chuckle at you and Claire thinking you could squish the babies :snigger: - what about babies which are both transverse?? The bottom one doesn't come out a peculiar shape :snigger: My most comfy position is (when I'm not coughing!) similar to the recovery position and I tuck the duvet under my bump. I have three pillows and the top one i put cross ways to the other two on the edge and kinda hug it but i don't have anything between my legs as not had any hip discomfort.

Anyway, best of luck tomorrow blowkiss

xxx

p.s. do you remember telling me you weren't going to worry beyond 30 weeks!!! :P
p.p.s re Bella waking up with you, try and work on your *settle down/on your bed* command. If our dogs are in our room at night which they're not so much now cos of not having to worry who i'm going to trip over while en route to the loo, I do occasionally get a wag from Elsa but I quietly remind her to settle and that's it! You don't want a super excited Bella when you're trying to feed the twins in the middle of the night in a few weeks so see if you can work on it between now and then. It's a very handy command day or night. :smile:

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, January 12th 2010, 8:48am

Here's another interesting fact about German bedding. They have square instead of rectangular pillows so about twice the size of a UK pillow, and you only get one. I hate them! Whatever you do to them (folding, squashing), it's impossible to get them nice and comfy, so that's one thing we don't have.

That is so interesting!!!
My DH already wants 2 duvets, so I might have to keep this interesting fact from him because I know he would love the fact you'd only have to wash one pillow case instead of two.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE