Molly1

• "Molly1" started this thread

Reg: Sep 25th 2009

Children: Bourn Hall

Monday, December 21st 2009, 12:42pm

An IUI question for Paul

Will IUI be possible?

Hi Paul

from your experience, will the following sperm test results be okay for IUI?

volume = 2.4 (although DH got quite a lot down his trousers so it is probably a little more than this!)
count /ml = 84 million
grade 1 motility= 7%
grade 2= 28%
Grade3 = 16%
non motile = 49%
morphology = 10%

THanks for your help,

Molly1
Molly

Molly1

• "Molly1" started this thread

Reg: Sep 25th 2009

Children: Bourn Hall

Tuesday, December 22nd 2009, 12:00pm

sorry - to add a bit more!

Hi Paul - or anyone else who can help!

I'm sorry to bother you with this Paul but you have been so wonderful in explaining things and my head is just a fog of confusion at the moment. As you know, we have been turned down for NHS funding at the moment because DH's count is considered normal by their standards. I have phoned up to book a consultation at bourn and a further sperm test which we will pay for. Unfortunately for the last one (results above) - DH managed to get quite a bit down his trousers and then wiped his hands and trousers into the specimen pot which SS says could have contaminated the specimen - would it be motility that this would affect? DH has only just admitted to this!!!!)

When I mentioned to the patient liasion officer that we were looking to do IUI perhaps before getting our NHS funding, she sounded really surprised like this wouldn't be an option.

Now I'm really confused. Our consultant, sperm scientist and yourself have all said that DH's sperm is enough for a natural pregnancy. Bourn are calling it 'normal' yet there is uncertainty about whether it is good enough for IUI. I thought IUI was there to address problems in motility by taking out the journey? And surely if it's not good enough for IUI then it can't be enough for a natural pregnancy? This is all so confusing. I don't want to give up on a natural pregnancy but as the cycles slip by (14 now) I feel less hopeful. This month I was 4 days late which really excited and then crushed me.

Also, my Dh's first sperm test months ago was bad with 3ml, 59 million/ml, 50% motility (only 1% grade 1) and only 2% morphology.
They have improved, the second was 4.5ml with 87 mil/ml, 54% moltility (with 21% grade1) and 4% morphology and then the most recent which is outlined in the post above. The first 2 results were taken in April (2 weeks apart) and the third was in July. What I don't understand is how this works. What if his sperm is now back to 2% morphology. Why did it get better and what is to stop it from going back to being rubbish again?

I'm so sorry for this long, confused and miserable post.

Molly1
Molly

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 12:00pm

Hi Molly,

The semen specimen that is tested is the result of both sperm production in the testes and of their release on the day. Most of the variation over the short term is due to the latter process. It is often unclear why the "delivery" varies so much, stress is one reason, loss of some specimen (the first portion often has most of the sperm), other fluids and secretions normally contribute to the total specimen, and can affect the f inal volume and sperm quality/numbers, delays in getting it to the laboratory or in their testing it, are all factors And these are mainly out of your control..

He does seem to have an adequate sperm output for natural ttc, on most occasions, and also I would have thought for IUI. If the quality of motility is variable their swim up into culture medium for IUI may not be adequate, although I would have thought that his good sperm concentration would have compensated for the lowish motility on such occasions.

Fertility clinics are all competing to get the highest pregnancy rates and this often(and very wrongly) influences whom they will treat. See what Bourne Hall come up with on their testing, they may be being cagey until they have seen their own laboratories results.

Keep in touch as always, and good luck to you both.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, December 24th 2009, 5:36pm

Hi Molly....can't answer your question about IUI as we never seriously considered it (low success rates so felt my mental energy would be better spent on IVF).
Similarly, though, after many SAs, we were ALWAYS told that out sperm picture would mean ICSI rather than IVF. And yet, as you know, we have conceived naturally several times (last appt which included an SA was after 3rd loss where we were still advised to go for ICSI).

So, I guess what I am saying is that even though, on paper, the sperm picture may not be encouraging to certain treatments, that is more about odds and statistics than because the tx could never work. And, it could still happen naturally - only takes one sperm.

xxxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012