You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 18 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "Saffy" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 2:11pm

Hubby's SA result

I've managed to get a copy of them off the doctors, they are as follows:

Lab comment: Repeat sample suggested
Lab comment: No sperm seen on direct microscopy or after centrifugation
Semen Examination
Time specimen produced: 0945
Time specimen examined: 1010
Volume ml: 2.0
Viscosity: Normal
pH: 8.2

I'm guessing we have a zero chance of concieving naturally, if at all, ever. I have therefore stopped taking my folic acid, but just wondered what is the chance of this being a flukely bad result and us getting a better result in the future? Does that ever happen? I wouldn't want to have stopped taking the folic acid and then getting pregnant unexpectadly but I don't want to take it if there is no hope as I find it a depressing reminder every night and it seems futile.

Test was done after 1.5 days of abstenance (I was thinking it was 2 but it wasn't due to the test being in the morning). We were thinking for the next one which will be 6 weeks after this one to leave it the full 7 days as the clinic suggests 2-7 days, do you think this is a good idea? Then even if there are some dead ones floating around at least we would know DH produced some sperm and we could leave it for less days the next time.

We've just had no helpful advice from GP and I still haven't had a fertility referal. They want to wait until we have the results of this next test, although why I don't know as it's not like we are going to have a normal result next time I assume?

Can anyone point me in the direction of any stats on percentage chances of having a baby after a zero result? I'm the kind of person that needs to know the facts whether they are good or bad. It just helps me to deal with things.

Sxx
PCOS and Azoo, what to do? Adopt smile2

Saffy's Diary

• "Saffy" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 2:14pm

Oh yes and I forgot to say, I assume no lifestyle changes are really gooing to help a zero result become a normal one. Hubby does drink too much, my opinion, not his :rolleyes: travels alot for work and likes hot showers but although I expect changes would help improve a not so good result I don't imagine (and more importnantly neither does he) that any changes to these would make a difference?
PCOS and Azoo, what to do? Adopt smile2

Saffy's Diary

FC79

Ace

Reg: May 19th 2009

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 3:24pm

Hello so sorry to hear about this result. I do know how you feel as we were told in January that my DH had less than 1 million and the GP and urologist told us that this meant no sperm. He had 3 more tests that all came back the same.

We went on a health kick, cut right down on alcohol and ate a good healthy diet. He takes multi vitamin for men (with zinc and vit c), maca, co-enzyme Q10 and selenium. Also tried to get the swimmers out of there every 2-3 days so they're not hanging around in there for too long!

When we decided to go for IVF with ICSI we had a semen analysis done at the clinic which was around 4 months after this healthy regime. the result came back as 2 million per ml and there was 5ml! So although still not great by most peoples standards to us it was amazing!

Dont give up hope, try everything you can and persevere there is so much that can be done these days.

Good luck.

hollybolly

Superstar

Reg: Jan 30th 2008

Children: Soon !!

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 6:28pm

Hi Saffy ,

Sorry you have had this result.

Being told there are no Sperm at all in the sample , is very very distressing to say the least! :rolleyes:

We were told back in Jan 2008 that dh had zero sperm , the term they use for this is Azoospermia.

To try to break it down for you , there are ulitmatly two types.
Obsructive - means some kind of block/missing tube somewhere
Non Obstructive - genetical/Hormone or other reason.

There will be lots of steps for you both to take now.

First will be a hormone test , to eliminate/confirm this as a cause.
Genetic tests, again to eliminate/confirm.

If all these tests come back as clear then it often points to some kind of blockage downstairs.
This can be bypassed by ethier having corrective surgary , or a procedure of extracting the sperm direct from the testical , terms used for this are ssr/tesa

Then when they get it this way , the next step is Icsi , which is much the same as Ivf except rather than the sperms being allowed into the dish with the egg to break in , they inject one directly into the egg to fertlise it.

It can be a lenghty journey if done via the nhs but private can speed all these tests along a bit,

So I guess what i am trying to say is that a zero result dosnt always mean no chance , sometimes that is the case , then I guess its a time for discussion of how you move forward, donor , adoption etc.

There is a thread in the male factor section where there is several of us whom's dh have azzoospermia, in all differnt causes. outcomes and stages, it truley is a great place for you to talk and get to know the other male factor girls , they are a lovley bunch xxxx
MALE FACTOR CHATTER

If you need to talk or have any questions , if i can help i will , fire away.
Feel free to post here , my diary, chatter thread , or pm me if you want.

Wishing you the very best of luck , its a tough time i wont lie but its doable, it may not seem like it but you will learn to live with it , i have a few friends here now who went all through this and are now happy with babies , both through icsi and Donor.

Look after yourself but most of all be kind to you xxxx

AZOOSPERMIA confirmed 01/2008
TESE sucessfull 08/09
Reconstruction failed 11/09 .
Icsi June 13 - Bfn
Feb2014 = Natural cycle icsi bfn

What's Up?
Finally I'm a mummy!

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 7:23pm

Hi Saffy,

Just wanted to say so sorry to hear about the results of the SA. :sadface: I too know what an awful feeling it is as my DH had a lot less than 1 million sperm seen in several samples. It feels heartbreaking at the time - especially for DH who had to contend with that in the same week he was made redundant - but you really do feel like 'what's the point?'

Just wanted to say not to give up hope... (says me who is sooooo good at being negative :snigger:). We are about to start our journey into IVF/ICSI as this is still an option even when the sperm count is incredibly low.

Good luck to you both...hope things work out for you.

TTC since 2007

PCOS/High ATA's/MF issues/Immune issues/Hidden C+

ICSI 1 :BFN:
ICSI 2 :BFP: mmc
ICSI 3 :BFN:
DICSI 4 :BFP: chem pg
DFET 5 :BFN:
DICSI 6 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DICSI 7 (Immune protocol) :BFN:
DFET 8 (Immune protocol) :BFP: : D
Finally blessed with a beautiful :girl: on 28.11.15, 8Ib 12

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 18 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE